Hangar space around Sydney

Hi folks 🙂

I own an Ultralight Aircraft (CTSW) and am looking for a hangar space for long term rent from January 2024 in the Sydney area.
I know this will be very tricky, does anyone have an idea how to solve it? Maybe park the aircraft outdoors until I'll find hangar space but where this would be possible?

I already asked at Wedderburn and Sydney Recreational Flying Club ([email protected]).

Many thanks in advance

Chris

IMG_2531_klein.jpg

Edited by Chris_LSZO

Beginning of this year,   I did a 1 month rental, at Camden, to facilitate the final assembly & first flight of my Sonex  - $700 - you may be able to do a little better if the proposed rental period is longer. Try Alto cap flying school or GB Aviation.

Sonex is currently parked, in the open, at The Oaks (Punkin Head full cover). -Subject to owners permission, I am planning to put up a light weight structure, to prevent severe weather (hail damage) - Contact Airport Manger, Steve Bennet 0419234710

• Like 1

Your cheapest way out is to put it on The Oaks. Skippy will tell you if there are landing and parking fees ( I don't think so) At Camden you'll get hit with both, even if you leave it outdoors.

HA, if you like short field landings and takeoffs, Skippy will put it in his shed for a few cartons of beer.

• Like 1

If you're on the northern side (doesn't sound like if it you've asked at Wedderburn though!), you could give Peter a call at Somersby. It may be Short, one way and EFATO is likely to be painful to fatal, but may be an option. I loved my time there with the RV, very convenient for me and a good bunch of folks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old man emu said:

Your cheapest way out is to put it on The Oaks. Skippy will tell you if there are landing and parking fees ( I don't think so) At Camden you'll get hit with both, even if you leave it outdoors.

HA, if you like short field landings and takeoffs, Skippy will put it in his shed for a few cartons of beer.

At the moment there is a $70/month outdoor parking fee at The Oaks. There are no Landing/TO/ Manoeuvring fees for domicile aircraft. There is an honour system for visiting aircraft to donate to.

The Oaks is NOT an all weather field - heavy rain will usually close the strip, for up to 3 days after the event.

If you want all weather there is Camden (as I did) You will pay for almost every contact with the tower.

Wedderburn -don't know  a lot, other than there is  a steep ($$$$) joining fee,  before you can start negotiating for a corner of hanger and then hanger fees on top - Pablo Depetris (President) is is the contact - they have a web site

Mittagong ???? - I have a private contact here but would have to ask his permission to divulge.

• Like 1

First: I am impressed that so many people want to help here! Very cool cumunity. 🙂

The Oaks sounds the best option to me ATM. If I could build something like a roof to protect the plane against hail and rain it would be a very good option until I find a hangar place.

About Somersby: I'm open for every option around Sydney. I don't find any website about and don't know how to contact Peter.

11 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Mittagong ???? - I have a private contact here but would have to ask his permission to divulge.

This would be great, thank you!

Greetings from Switzerland

Chris

January does bring a risk of hail, but at The Oaks it is not usually the sort that will cause great damage. It's usually pea-sized. Putting some soft material under a waterproof sheet would act as a buffer if there was a hail storm. Ask Skippy for better local knowledge. My comments are based on living  and working in the area for thirty years. I've never has a car damaged by hail in that time. Also The Oaks is on the lee side slope of the direction the worst of the storm weather comes from. The Oaks is also a handy place to operate from, especially in the future when the uncontrolled airspace over the Sydney Basin will become reduced due to the opening of Nancy Bird Walton Airport in the Basin's far west. 

Public transport is not really an option. There is a bus service, but intermittent during the day.  Route 40 takes you to Camden for a transfer to a bus to Campbelltown where you can join the metropolitan rail system. 

WWW.BUSABOUT.COM.AU

Mark as a favourite route

Using Camden involves ongoing costs. That latest I could find were for 2021.

$15.60/1000kg MTOW per movement.

$2.60/1000kg MTOW per day, or part thereof.

Movement. An aircraft departing the airport via taxiways, or an aircraft landing when it is the only movement detected in a calendar day. I don't know what it costs you go doing a session of circuits and bumps.

• Like 1

It‘s to much… 

I‘ll wait for 

23 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

and Info about Somersby (I need a contact). The Oaks is atm the best option I think…

Chris

Edited by Chris_LSZO

Richmond hangars were sometimes available at Richmond but very difficult to be a pilot other than the airforce personnel .  You will possibly have to let them rent your aircraft.  I don't think that they use RA so that maybe difficult. I walked away from leasing the Mooney I owned as their lease requirements were unacceptable to me.

I won't post Pete's contact details publicly to avoid them being crawled and harvested by a bot, but they're listed in the Somersby (YSMB) ERSA entry. He's a good bloke, flies a Maule. 

22 minutes ago, Chris_LSZO said:

What about Wilton Airport?

Chris

Wilton is a skydive site - not really practical to operate out of ... unless you are jumping from one of their planes.

Oaks wins hands down on outdoor parking for aircraft and low cost - against is the balance of the the strip becoming unusable following heavy rain events and outdoors.

Operated and based my aircraft from there for years and its not only a nice field they are a nice bunch of people.

Camden is also nice but much more expensive and depending on what reg you are having on the aircraft you may/may not be able to operate in tower hours (8am-6pm)

I flew from there with school aircraft but never based there even though I lived in the town.

• Like 1

A Dome Shelter is a highly satisfactory method of temporary protection from the weather, and it has the advantage it can either be attached to sea containers or just pipe supports - and it can be moved or sold when necessity dictates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

A Dome Shelter is a highly satisfactory method of temporary protection from the weather

Yes of course. I hope it will be possible to build this up at The Oaks...

Chris

Edited by Chris_LSZO

1 hour ago, kasper said:

Wilton is a skydive site - not really practical to operate out of ... unless you are jumping from one of their planes.

Oaks wins hands down on outdoor parking for aircraft and low cost - against is the balance of the the strip becoming unusable following heavy rain events and outdoors.

Operated and based my aircraft from there for years and its not only a nice field they are a nice bunch of people.

Camden is also nice but much more expensive and depending on what reg you are having on the aircraft you may/may not be able to operate in tower hours (8am-6pm)

I flew from there with school aircraft but never based there even though I lived in the town.

Not certain but I think Wilton is a jump aircraft only.

Camden seems to have quite a few RAA aircraft operating from there - cant say if its only out of tower operating  hours or not (bit had to do in the winter months)

2 minutes ago, Chris_LSZO said:

Yes of course. I hope it will be possible to build up at The Oaks...

Chris

Don't say "build" .

The owner is very particular about what can/ can not be erected - must be temporary in nature and approved by him BEFORE any work commences. 

Probably best to  have your aircraft in credence for a while, before going down the cover permission rout.

• Like 1

I just heard the bushfire weather prediction for this coming winter. It's gunna be dry, so I wouldn't be worrying about WerriBerri Creek bursting its banks,

A lot of the aircraft parked at The Oaks simply have a weatherproof cover over them.

Methinks Chris is mistaken about the severity of Sydney Basin winters. For a Swiss, the weather would be considered balmy.

29 minutes ago, old man emu said:

Methinks Chris is mistaken about the severity of Sydney Basin winters. For a Swiss, the weather would be considered balmy.

:)) 

No, I'm quite familiar with the weather conditions 🙂

I'm worried only about hail, strong rain and sun. This would ages the aircraft quite fast...

Chris

Edited by Chris_LSZO

Sydney weather is at its worst in the Summer months, and this is when Sydney gets the most rain, as well as hail and storms. Sydney can get some extremely violent weather.

• Like 1