Oshkosh 2024 accommodation types

Blueadventures

I'm planning to attend Oshkosh 2024 and asking about what type and price (towards budget end of market if possible) for a twin share is available.  Don't want a 4 or more to a room setup.

Any replies please advise distance to the venue etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.

RFguy and I went this year, like most we stayed at the university of Wisconsin in Oshkosh. Because we booked later we could only get a non aircon room, was not to bad. $322 aud each for four nights twin share. Would probably try for the aircon next time. I slept like a log with just a sheet.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

45 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

RFguy and I went this year, like most we stayed at the university of Wisconsin in Oshkosh. Because we booked later we could only get a non aircon room, was not to bad. $322 aud each for four nights twin share. Would probably try for the aircon next time. I slept like a log with just a sheet.

Thanks, trying to book early and get a/c as wife coming with me. 

University bookings open 4 OCT (USA).

A/C rooms are a roll of the dice, NO guarantee you'll get one.

University is very well organised for visitors. Get the weekly bus pass there. Short ride direct into the field, 100% easy. Buses run all day.

Cheap Breakfast and dinner at the univ Blackhawk Commons cafeteria. Lap up some biscuits and gravy at breakfast. My mate at the campsite tried to feed us that. OMG, just dry scones and disgusting grey gravy made from who the hell knows what, old shoe leather, leftover BBQ scrapings, birdseed, porridge, OMG yuk.

• Haha 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

12 hours ago, rgmwa said:

Any tips on flights?

We're probably flying in to Appleton from some direction, Chicago, or LA to Denver or Minneapolis.

ANZ runs Auckland direct to Chicago 787. (AKL is a bit further for you than me...)

Supposedly, QF will be resuming A380 ML-LA soon.

2018 we drove into Oshkosh via the Fisk VFR approach point, stopped there for an hour.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

That dreadful American gravy is usually made from flour and pig fat, and sometimes leftover American sausages. I cannot fathom the American love of a litre of gravy, over nearly everything they eat!  :yuck:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

that was 5 nights - and 'later' meaning January !

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 2

We got an Uber for USD$196 from o-hare. By the time you get to o-hare, you are pretty toast. that was OK split between two.  couldnt have flown to Appleton for that.

If I'd been better organised, I might have got a car for 2 weeks from a small outfit near o-hare (not the airport that charges $$$) , but driving the car after 28 hours to that point of travel is a very time limited thing- I think I am good for about 90 miles max. (and I have lived there and am comfortable with driving on the 'wrong side of the road') . but then you got to pay $10/day  to store it once you are there,

because you wont use a car while you are there guarenteed.- just the bus to get to and from the event, and your bus ticket also works for all- you-can eat buses around Oshkosh town.  and you can walk into town in the evening to eat and you ofr course can drink and dinner and drive so.... 

so it is a bit borderline unless you are going to travel around afterwards like we did up into minnesota, and then down the Dayton Air force museum. interstaes are fast.
next time, dunno yet whether fly to appleton, or get a car, or do the same.
The buses that leave o-hare arrived too late at Madison or Milwaukee to get the next bus to Oshkosh. you are stuck unless u overnight at O hare. One you you could do is overnight at Madison.  That's a nice spot.  bus leaves in the morning.

next time I might get there a couple of days early and then hire some sh1tbox cherokee for $150/hour wet and fly that around and see my friends around the place. (I used to live there for a time) .

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

image.png.379c8804c4d1f09a118fe070203bb8f8.png

I do like that idea, avoids west coast. but you are definetly overnighting at Chicago,

Although , SFO is pretty nice, that'd probably be  my other choice.  SYD-SFO or BNE-SFO.
but I'd go the route that gets you on a 787. We did this time. great aircraft.  I wonder is ANZ can book SYD_ORD via AKL ?
I always fly United when I have an in-country domestic flight- because the codeshare with QF or VG is BS- they cant do anything for you to the desk. If you are on an american airline internally and international, they can pull all sorts of strings for you.  AMercian airlines that codeshares with Qantas internally, they cant do anything with your tickets, moving you to a different earlier flight, etc, finding your bags- they dont have the IT integration like a all end to end airline.  However, if one flies AKL-ORD, the poin tof entry is ORD, so that's not such an issue.  You'll find appleton  prices are in the stratosphere pretty quickly. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 2

well, I like to get off site because I can eat real food. There are excellent places to eat in town (walking from the uni) , and a good healthy supermarket also same. 
There is a big RV park for the show.  You at can least cook your own food.

Yeah an RV trip would be cool. try and get to the Dayton air museum. Allow two full days dawn to dusk. Or three if you like reading the plates in front of the exhibits,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RFguy said:

well, I like to get off site because I can eat real food. There are excellent places to eat in town (walking from the uni) , and a good healthy supermarket also same. 
There is a big RV park for the show.  You at can least cook your own food.

Yeah an RV trip would be cool. try and get to the Dayton air museum. Allow two full days dawn to dusk. Or three if you like reading the plates in front of the exhibits,

some friends hired an rv in new york and spent 6 weeks touring and dropped it off in sanfrancisco, i think they only paid about $2000 for the rv. that was before covid though. probably a lot more now.

• 2 months later...

if you buy something NEW in a box, then you might cop 5% duty + 10% GST on entry

so dissing stuff out of all the packaging is one way to reduce that.  You might have bought it used, right ?

otherwsie for a fleamarket, it might cost $1 right ?

• Winner 1

7 minutes ago, RFguy said:

if you buy something NEW in a box, then you might cop 5% duty + 10% GST on entry

so dissing stuff out of all the packaging is one way to reduce that.  You might have bought it used, right ?

otherwsie for a fleamarket, it might cost $1 right ?

Thanks; had same in mind. Just never been over there so now looking forward, flights next and have cousins over there to visit before or after.  

I was under the impression that aircraft and parts are duty-free? However, after searching, I find it only applies to certified parts and certified aircraft.

GST is payable on all overseas purchases. Make SURE you acquire and keep ALL records relating to the purchase, otherwise the tax collectors will simply calculate the tax on their estimations - which may or may not be favourable to you! They will also tax any costs incurred in acquiring the goods.

https://www.abf.gov.au/trade-and-goods-compliance-subsite/files/fact-sheets/item-34-fs.pdf

https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting-and-manufacturing/importing/cost-of-importing-goods/gst-and-other-taxes#:~:text=GST is payable on imported,as customs duty is paid.

• Informative 2

• 1 month later...
On 04/09/2023 at 4:02 PM, RFguy said:

We got an Uber for USD$196 from o-hare. By the time you get to o-hare, you are pretty toast. that was OK split between two.  couldnt have flown to Appleton for that.

If I'd been better organised, I might have got a car for 2 weeks from a small outfit near o-hare (not the airport that charges $$$) , but driving the car after 28 hours to that point of travel is a very time limited thing- I think I am good for about 90 miles max. (and I have lived there and am comfortable with driving on the 'wrong side of the road') . but then you got to pay $10/day  to store it once you are there,

because you wont use a car while you are there guarenteed.- just the bus to get to and from the event, and your bus ticket also works for all- you-can eat buses around Oshkosh town.  and you can walk into town in the evening to eat and you ofr course can drink and dinner and drive so.... 

so it is a bit borderline unless you are going to travel around afterwards like we did up into minnesota, and then down the Dayton Air force museum. interstaes are fast.
next time, dunno yet whether fly to appleton, or get a car, or do the same.
The buses that leave o-hare arrived too late at Madison or Milwaukee to get the next bus to Oshkosh. you are stuck unless u overnight at O hare. One you you could do is overnight at Madison.  That's a nice spot.  bus leaves in the morning.

next time I might get there a couple of days early and then hire some sh1tbox cherokee for $150/hour wet and fly that around and see my friends around the place. (I used to live there for a time) .

Have room confirmed and it's an air conditioned one.   Are the rooms secure for leaving belonging in?   Just waiting to here back from cousins over there as may arrive in USA before so over the jet lag thing.  Will sort visa's soon.

We are considering a trip to Oshkosh maybe this year but more than likely next, Have been looking at RV hire sites (RV Share)with many offering delivery to site, Anyone have any experience with this & is this allowed at Oshkosh?

Hi Mike. 

I consider the rooms secure, I would leave my laptop and tablet in the room... only would take my passports with me in my backpack, that's all.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

Hi Mike. 

I consider the rooms secure, I would leave my laptop and tablet in the room... only would take my passports with me in my backpack, that's all.

Thanks for info.  What is the available cooking or refrigerator in common room like for preping meals we have a family in our group and they were asking me today if I know what's available.

there was a common room in our setup, but I think you are gonna just go out for dinner, there are some cost effective joints to eat at. but I couldnt be arsed cooking dinner, and there is a good healthy- style organic supermarket  down the road, we ened up getting breakfast and lunch food from there, they sold really good sandwiches we'd pick up on the way home  and put them in the common room fridge with our other food like fruit, yogurt etc. Stu and I are  healthy eating  types , most of the time, so that was easy.  mixed with beer, of course.

• Haha 1