Rubber Mounts and hose clamps

TechMan

Another tidbit of info that some might not give a second thought to.

The following pics are of a Japanese made carburettor mount which was new when put on, though not long after failed. Hours to failure unknown. Aircraft type unknown. From the outside all seems normal though underneath lurks the problem.

The number stamped on the top is 267787

Chris

20060817_232307_SV400007.jpg.b0710ae871f6f946803802311be47eab.jpg

20060817_232327_SV400008.jpg.60eacf6b3b09a66b15ee06f210d2a020.jpg

Could this have been from incorrect fitment of carb ( not seated fully) or caused by the clamp overtightening? rather than material failure.

juz curious

Hi Ozzie,

Possibly incorrect mounting. As you can see in pics 1 and 3, there is a ridge running around on the inside of the mount. The split runs along the bottom of this ridge.

The clamp itself could not cause this through rubbing as the edges of the clamp are raised for a start and the split runs around in the middle of the clamp area.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Carby nearly falling off cannot be good for yourperformance or health. Another possiblity as to cause is inappropriate cleaning materials used. If you were interested and can post me the dead bit I could have a closer look and give you a tad more feedback. No cost to you other than postage. Amoungst my many claims to fame are 41 years maintaining various flying machines.