Pilot Insurance.

farri

Hi Everyone,

I`m interested to know,what the feeling out there is,on the subject of insurance for us as pilots,the Insurance I`m thinking of would be taken out through the RAA.

I took part in the first meeting, in the North Queensland Region,on third party insurance, when the AUF was looking at implementing the Insurance.

Third party Insurance is fine but what about us,the guys who fly the aircraft,any ideas. question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

Frank. 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

pilot insurance would be good if it was affordable, but if it was a blanket insurance arranged on our behalf it must be costly as age of pilots would have to be taken into consideration. Would a fit young pilot with good reflexes like to pay extra to cover a sexygeranium like me. Would I like to pay an extra to cover the teenager who has just started flying and is loaded with testosterone.

However it was worked I think it would only be an agreement with an insurance company or broker to direct our members to them. No doubt the members with growing families, still in the workforce would be the most likely to want insurance and those of us with our homes paid for and the kids independent would be the least likely.

Guest ozzie

How about pilot coverage for when you travel overseas?

I just read the fine print on my travel insurance and it will only cover you as a passenger on an airline or charter flight. they will not cover you for piloting yourself whilst on holidays.. has anyone taken extra coverage for this and with whom?

Ozzie

Cost of insurance.

T87, The Citabria is covered for everything EXCEPT hull loss in air, for about $1000. The cost depends a lot on your experience and accident record. My life is not covered, but the passenger is, for 1/4 million. The main thing to cover is your damage liability. This is done as part of your RAAus membership, but does not apply to me as the ship is VH registered. Nev..

Hi facthunter,

As far as I`m aware,a part of the RAA membership fee is for third party insurance and every member is covered for third party damage,regardless of aircraft registration.

The insurance cover I have had in mind would be for pilot injury or death only,not hull damage.

With the membership numbers the RAA now has,it should be possible to obtain a cover by the RAA,on behalf of it`s members, at a reasonable rate,to the individual member.

It could not be possible that all member pilots would be claiming at one time,therefore it should be feasible, should the members want it and an Insurance company willing to take it on, the details would have to be dealt with.

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Guest Crezzi
How about pilot coverage for when you travel overseas?I just read the fine print on my travel insurance and it will only cover you as a passenger on an airline or charter flight. they will not cover you for piloting yourself whilst on holidays.. has anyone taken extra coverage for this and with whom?

Ozzie

Unfortunately most travel insurance has this clause. I have used several companies which will specifically cover micro/ultralighting for an additional premium but they were UK based & the policies were only for UK residents (which I was at the time). I've not been able to find any Australian companies who offer it.

We had an Aus resident on our last expedition who had to take out a policy with a US company - http://www.medical-insurance-america.com/Extreme-Sports-Extreme-Sports-Insurance-fromIMG.php

Happily there was no need to try & claim on it so I can't comment on whether the policy was worth the paper it was printed on.

Cheers

John

Coverage.

farri, If what you say is true, ( about the coverage of VH ) I will be pleasantly surprised and happy to be wrong... Do not be put-off by my pessimism, re the insurance, I just wouldn't get my hopes up. The problem is risk assessment and if I, as a part of the group, want to be insured, I will have to accept a fee based on the industry risk overall , and being realistic, I can"t see that ever being good enough to make it affordable. The current RAAus position re third party is great and you would be mad to operate without it. Unless you own nothing and then nothing is what can be gotten out of you. The philosophy that gives us affordability, is that we carry ONE passenger only, who is INFORMED that the normal standards do not apply to our aircraft. (by prominent placarding). I am comfortable with this because there is an acceptance implicit in it of personal responsibility for your welfare and your own destiny more or less. If you wish to insure against all possible bad outcomes for all people then we can not afford it in the high-risk areas..Nev..

Guest Crezzi
Thanks for that JohnOzzie

No problem - if you (or anyone else) does come across an Australian company who will include ultralight cover for overseas travel / health insurance please post it here.

Are there any forum members in the insurance racket err sorry business ?

RAA Third Party Insurance.

Facthunter,

The way I understand the RAA third party insurance is, that it covers the RAA member regardless of aircraft rego.

Third party does not mean a passenger,only damage caused by the aircraft to other persons or property.

Anyone, please correct me if I`m wrong.

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

The insurance question has halted my RAA flying until I get my own separate policy. The RAA 3rd part policy is excellent. Some aeroplanes around that are for rent have no insurance so I need to think about the paper the owner wants me to sign about paying for the first $XXXX etc etc.

The big consideration for me is that I want to take a friend or a family member and I won't do that without adequate cover.

Adequate Insurance Cover

HI djpacro,

I hope you can find insurance at a reasonable rate however what is "adequate cover"these days:question:

We live in an enviroment where anyone can sue on anyone`s behalf for almost any reason and for almost any amount.

I don`t think the average recreational pilot can afford "adequate insurance cover", we must find an alternative way of insurance cover that will cover all members at a reasonable cost like the third party cover does,there must be a way.

Cheers

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif