Start An Aero Club with Training

Guest Bendorn

Guest Bendorn

I'm wanting to start an aero club in Hopetoun Victoria. They've got a good airport there that is underutilised and I've pretty much got the nod from the council to use it.

1. Where am I going to get an instructor & plane from?

2. What are the pitfalls of a club?

3. Where am I going to get an instructor & plane from?

Your thoughts?

Ben

Pitfalls.

When you work for an aeroclub, you have too many bosses. Remember, a camel is a horse designed by a committee. There may be some arrangement that could be devised where this problem could be avoided. Nev..

Can't help with facts Ben, but great idea. I'll drop in. I'm planning to take my Dad there soon. He grew up in and around Hopetoun and my gran still lives there. It's her 97th birthday next week. Her older sister still lives there too. At 102, she walks down to visit gran most days.

I remember seeing a NOTAM about the cross strip being closed awaiting maintenance. Is it fixed yet?

Good luck.

Ross

Guest Bendorn

Hopetoun (YHPN) NOTAM

Yes... The grass 08/26 strip is out of action due to pot holes. Council can fix it any time but, understandably, won't as it isn't used.

01/19 is in pretty good condition.

YHPN is really only used for air ambulance, angel flights and DSE if there's a fire nearby. Very little private use at all. Shame really.

I think a satelite flight school would be the go. Say from Horsham or Mildura or anywhere really. I'm not sure of the legalities with those things. I'm not sure that the Hopetoun district could support a full time school over the long term. I could be wrong. I know there is plenty of interest.

Ben

Guest Bendorn
Start a commercial flying school and tack a social club to it.

Don't I need to be an instructor for that? or, just employ a CFI?

You're best bet is to talk to Cliff Banks from Swan Hill. Cliff altenates between Wentworth and Echuca (once a fortnight) on Friday and Saturday. As he is only 60 miles from Hopetoun he maybe be able to work something in for you. But you would probably have to come up with 3 or 4 students to make it worthwhile, and it may have to be on a weekday. Anyway he is a mine of information, well worth the cost of a phone call.

Cliff Banks - Mobile 0429 346650

Regards

Flying School.

You have to have a CFI in any case, unless you Check out the idea of being an offshoot of some nearby organisation, then you spread the costs (which you also know from the start). The social side can be seperate, but have a working relationship. A committee of management is like a ship with many part-time captains All wanting to grab the wheel, and all with a different idea of where it should go. Nev...

Guest Bendorn
You're best bet is to talk to Cliff Banks from Swan Hill. Cliff altenates between Wentworth and Echuca (once a fortnight) on Friday and Saturday. As he is only 60 miles from Houpetoun he maybe be able to work something in for you. But you would probably have to come up with 3 or 4 students to make it worthwhile, and it may have to be on a weekday. Anyway he is a mine of information, well worth the cost of a phone call.

Cliff Banks - Mobile 0429 346650

Regards

Thanks Pete. Cliff's my instructor and a fantastic one at that. I'm putting out the feelers here on peoples thoughts on different processes, stratergies and options. I think Cliff's time is spread pretty thinly and would not be able to take on another bunch of students away from Swan Hill.

Guest flying high
I'm wanting to start an aero club in Hopetoun Victoria. They've got a good airport there that is underutilised and I've pretty much got the nod from the council to use it.1. Where am I going to get an instructor & plane from?

Your thoughts?

Ben

thats a great idea i would like to do the same thing in qld so any info you find out can you share it with mate me !!!!!!

:rotary::rotary::rotary::rotary::rotary::rotary:

I'm wanting to start an aero club in Hopetoun Victoria. They've got a good airport there that is underutilised and I've pretty much got the nod from the council to use it.1. Where am I going to get an instructor & plane from?

Your thoughts?

Ben

Hi Bendorn,

Been there done that, so here are some of my thoughts.

I was president and CFI for "The Far North Queensland Ultralight Association" for several years then ran my own school until I retired from teaching 4 years ago.

First of all, to run a school you must be a CFI ,a senior instructor may only operate a satellite facility and this has to be under the supervision of a CFI.

A "Limited Liability Incorporated Association" , protects all of it`s members by limiting the amount that can be claimed against it.

We Incorporated "The Far North Queensland Ultralight Association" and set the amount at $20 per member and the assets of the club,the clubs assets were very little however this was approved and that amount is all we would have been liable for had we been sued, for any reason.

If the whole operation of the club and flying school is carried out, for and on behalf, of the Incorporated club, then every member comes under the protection of the Incorporated Association.

The risk of litigation is extremely high in Australia today and even if you could get insurance cover it would be very highly priced and without it one would have to be very brave or very stupid to run a flying school, I paid a lot of $$$ on insurance premiums with my own school.

I would not be a member of any club that wasn`t Incorporated because as I understand it,if a law suit is brought against the club every member of that club can be sued.

Can`t help in finding a plane and instructor.

AS for the pitfalls of a club,any club is only as good as it`s members and therefore the pitfalls are hard to predict,but there certainly are plenty however the bigest one is the liability issue.

Keep the dream alive.

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Ben

Check out the Opp's manual it explains what you require. Good coments from above.

What would you like to achieve from running a school??? is it to make money? Have a good time with others, or just to fill in the day?

Would you also have a maintenance facility, where would you get your'e maintenance done if not, even minor things require a level 2 authorisation.

Clubs, good, can be interesting! Better if you can control your'e own show though!

Give me a call if you like 0408 859697

Cheers Guy

Guest Bendorn

There are a number of reasons Guy. The main two are:

1. To see the airport get used otherwise it will fall into disrepair and the council could close it.

2. To give as many people in remote areas a chance to discover the freedom of flight.

I'm only just finishing off my licence now with about 19hrs up. Everybody who knows I've been learning to fly, asks me how I'm going with great interest. When they found out the difference in cost between RAA and GA instruction, many wanted to know more but don't have the time to travel such long distances. I'm lucky.

I've got a small article in the local paper next week and I'm calling for expressions of interest in a club and training to guage whether or not it could be viable.

See how we go......

Guest Bendorn

I've spoken with Cliff and he's flat out. He's given a few suggestions and I'm following up on those.

Article is out today, so we'll see what happens.

Have you though about hosting a mini flyin - just for the day. :thumb_up:

Do a spot of advertising in the local rag and radio. Get the locals out to see and talk to the pilots etc etc. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I'm sure most of us who live quite close would make the effort. Even if you could get 6 or 7 different aircraft it might help get things rolling. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

:big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

regards

Guest Bendorn

What a great idea. I'll have a good look at the calendar and see if there's a date that stands out and try from there. Thanks Pete.