Start An Aero Club with Training

Guest Bendorn

Ben, Cliff Banks is also training ar Birchip at least once a fortnight so you could contact him there and possibly get a couple of others to go across and get their RAA tickets at Birchip.

Once you have a couple of other interested people then you start to have some support and backup for getting some action at Hopetoun.

Cliff is absolutely flat out and could be hard to get to another training location but he is well worth a try and arguably one of the best RAA instructors for a very long way around.

Horsham has two flying schools, the Horsham Flying Club which is a mixed gliding and RAA club with a J120 Jabiru and a J230 both Club aircraft used for training plus two kit built Jabs, a J230 and a J170 plus two private Jabs plus two kit Lightnings under construction.

The J120 is hired at $70 / hr but will possibly go to $75 / hour shortly and the J230 hires at $90 / Hr.

There is also the Horsham Aero Club which has two Tecnams and a Cessna.

The Tecnams hire at $100 / hr.

Instructor charge rates are on top of this but talk to the instructors on their charges.

The one RAA training organisation, "Airwego," with 3 active RAA instructors services both Clubs.

The CFI of the Airwego training organisation is one of our Flying Club members and our Gliding CFI as well.

He has retired so is available subject to his time table.

Getting a training organisation like this also means that you are covered insurance wise for training purposes.

Incorporation of a new Club is quite simple under the appropiate Victorian laws which have been tailored for sporting clubs and should be done as a matter of course.

The Horsham Flying Club has just changed from being incorporated under ASIC, the federal company incorporation department which was the only one available in the very early 70's to the Victorian incorporation setup.

Just extracting ourselves out of ASIC was an epic exercise in itself.

The Aero Club has just helped start a new RAA club down at Hamilton as well by flying a Tecnam down to Hamilton once a week until the Hamilton club could purchase it's own aircraft which is a one of the small Jabs.

Warracknabeal also has a RAA training program going at the moment and has a group of pretty active local Wimmera Aero Club members.

If you want to train in any aircraft you wish to purchase, just be aware that it must be a certified, factory produced aircraft.

The exception is if you buy an aircraft, as owner you can be trained in that aircraft.

And if you think that you can make each member a part owner, that has been tried on the RAA many, many times before and doesn't work!

The RAA will very reluctantly allow about a maximum of 5 owners for training on a private [ kit built ? ] aircraft.

I would suggest that for starters you try and get a regular training aircraft and instructor up to Hopetoun on a regular basis until you can gauge the interest levels and by the time you and couple of other locals get your ticket you will have a much better idea on what you want in the way of organisation and what you want in aircraft.

Summing up; Hasten slowly and get a solid background as that way you will make a lot less very expensive and possibly serious mistakes and always remember;

The RAA / Ultra light movement runs on a diet of which in large part consists of a mix of myths and rumours so don't take any unknown "experts" advice as a given and always cross check your information.

Wow - Rom - Some very sound advice there! :thumb_up:

and, Bendorn -

I'm planning to be there as well :big_grin: - just make sure the barby is ready to go!! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

(lets see, 1 x CT4, 1 x Jabiru J160c, 1 x Cheetah and what the Mildura boys are flying......) ;)

regards

Guest Bendorn

Response From Article

I've had a call already and very positive on behalf of a couple of lads who fly microlights. 3rd of August looks like a goer and I've got the bbq ready to go. I'll post an ad on this site and I'll get another one in the local paper and on the radio.

See who turns up.

Alert HOPETOUN (YHPN) Mini FLY-IN 3 AUGUST 2008 - Recreational Flying

Looking in ERSA, I see there's 24 card swipe BP available at Horsham in the south (57nm) and Swan Hill (60nm) in the NE. Warracknabeal has avgas by PN (only 37nm south).

Then there's the usual central Vic suspects to the east.

I'm sure a lift into town could be arranged for mogas. It's only about 5k.

Of course, I could fly the 4 hours there and get half way home before worrying about fuel :big_grin:. I'll probably top up at Echuca.

Kaz, Ms events manager, how about you enter this one in the events list. I'd love to see it well patronised and save a country airstrip. It's basically my 2nd home town, so it will be special. It is also the weekend before my 50th, so we could party!

Yep, fully functional BP swipe available at Horsham.

Both Avgas and Jet A1 [ attendant only ] although I doubt that any of you guys will want the turbine mix!

Very basic bunk house accommodation plus kitchen available on field at Horsham Flying Club if you get stuck plus about 17 motels or so 10 minutes from the field.

Bowser Mogas also should be available on field from the Horsham Aero Club as they run Tecnams / Rotax.

Can check with them if anybody wants mogas.

Guest ramcam

no probs guys it depends on how many people we take for a fly when we are there. It's about 105nm from mildura