Poor cranking - my problem resolved.

slartibartfast

HEI ignition kit wont fix the no cranking problem. That means solonoid stuffed or starter isnt getting power

By the sound of the clicking noise thats the solonoid not getting full power or its stuffed

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a new Deka battery in my 230 and I cant believe the difference! It fires almost instantly as the battery has heaps of grunt. I got one on the advice of several Jab owners on the eyre pen and they swear by them. They are slightly bigger than the Odysey though.

• 2 weeks later...

Motzartmerv you alluded to a factory test of a new ignition please tell all.... I note that one of the guys in the US is fitting a separate system and not havung any distributors on his rebuild (from a failed crank drivegear problem)

I've not had any trouble with the lawnmower coils to date except the low battery/no start issue - recently swapped out my oldish Odyssey PC925 (actually the Genesis version, same specs) for a better one and normal starting has resumed

The other reply mentioned Deka battery are these a house brand of something at Supercheep or k mart? and what type of batt. is it - sealed AGM?

Ralph

Very Simple

I did post this yonks ago..... The common problem with cold mornings is to do with earthing. All you have to do is move the earth from its current position on the back to the front and add a extra washer which will fix it. No bigger batteries needed. No pouring hot water.

Ring Cliff Banks at Swan Hill and he'll tell you exactly how it is done. It will take minutes to rectify and less than $2.00. I kid you not it is that simple. :thumb_up:

get more earth

For detail see the service letter on the Jabiru website

http://www.jabiru.net.au/Service%20Bulletins/Engine%20files/Starter%20Motor%20earth%20Cable_JSL005-1.pdf

It might also pay to check the gap between the permanent magnets on the flywheel and the coil which according to my construction book should range from 0.010" to 0.012" or 0.25 mm to 0.30 mm.

• 2 weeks later...