New RAAus Workface Airworthiness Support

Guest TOSGcentral

Guest TOSGcentral

Yeah well! I am known for being quick and vitriolic with criticism of RAAus both politically and in terms of effective member contact. I can (and would far prefer) to be the other way.

Today in the mail I received from RAAus a large and bulky package containing a complete print out of the web site ADs and ANs (complete with printed images), a robust plastic ring binder to keep them in and a package of alphabetical spacer inserts. In addition I got a large maintenance log book for ‘Maintainers’ in which to record their work as they/we are already supposed to do.

These have presumably been forwarded to all L2s and upwards.

While I personally am not too keen on the issue being forced in my personal circumstances re the log book, as I am doing detailed development airframe work on virtually a daily basis – so will have a lot more writing to do – I really do applaud this move!

Reading between the lines I deduce the following:

• At last L2s have some solid information on which to do inspections at the hangar in hard copy form (do not need a computer at the hangar). That fits in very well with the UACR and UAR inspections requirements currently required – they will then either be done or signed off as having been done, or outstanding as the case may be according to the aircraft’s log book.

• We are on notice! You want to retain your rating then you may well be asked to demonstrate what you are doing to justify retaining the rating (log book)!

I personally believe this is a huge (and expensive but positive step) that I can see Chris Kiehn’s hand behind and could very well be a foundation of leading to information upon which practical airworthiness training may be based.

At present I repeat that I see this as a huge and positive step forward for RAAus Airworthiness and trust that it is the first step of establishing real Movement credentials in this crucial area.

Goodonya Chris and RAAus!

Aye

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

Tut Tut! Careful Yenn!

I may be outspoken about things that I feel are counter-productive because there are few who are so consistently as active as I in promoting mainstream ultralighting.

That does not prevent me from giving due credit where it is due and in my estimation this initiative by RAAus is a major step forward.

Let us not turn a genuine expression of thanks and appreciation into some personal issue please.

Aye

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi T2,

I am pretty busy as well at the moment, but I will answer the question from my point of view although Chris may wish to give a more balanced POV. The following however may give some insight for people who are not L2s so will probably never see the package.

The package is essentially in two parts.

• A work aid in ring binder form (so it can be added to) with alphabetical interleaves so that you can find something reasonably quickly (this is in aircraft type order and is essentially a working aid for inspections of current ADs and ANs)

• A ‘Level 2 Maintenance Diary’. This is in A4 Landscape form in much the same as an enlarged version of the RAAus Aircraft Log Book – although different inside. In the front cover are a very clear set of directions. The lack that I see is not producing an interleaf to prevent writing going through to subsequent copies beyond the three sheets in use at any one time.

The Diary is in triplicate. The top copy is a rip off sheet that can be signed with numbers and given to people that work has been done for so they have something tangible. Supplying this is optional to the L2.

The second sheet is also a tear-off and goes to RAAus as substantiation to renew your L2 rating every two years. Note that keeping a work diary is already a requirement. I suppose few do and I do not! I do far too much airframe work to add to the paperwork.

On the other hand I totally support this new initiative and will be maintaining my own diary religiously. I do not know how much a replacement costs but I am going to be requiring quite a few over the next year or two.

This RAAus move is going to shake a few people because we are being made formally accountable. That is the way it should be. If you do not work then do not hold the rating. If you do hold the rating then demonstrate your integrity by putting it in writing so the aircraft owner gets a copy and RAAus can see how much you are doing.

I repeat – I believe that this is the greatest move forward ever for RAAus Airworthiness and the future of our movement.

Aye

Tony

At last, a positive step in the right direction by the RAA.

The book has all of the information readily available without the need to log on to a computer and go searching in all of the obscure places. How many dusty hangers have the internet in any case?

It would seem to me that the technical side of the organisation is way in front of operations when it comes to things that actually help.

Bill

• 1 month later...
Guest Crezzi
The lack that I see is not producing an interleaf to prevent writing going through to subsequent copies beyond the three sheets in use at any one time.

Hi Tony

Just started using mine & discovered there is an interleave on the inside back cover !

Hope that helps

Cheers

John

Guest TOSGcentral

Yeah well - I did not recognise it.

Duh! Shambles back into cave with knuckles dragging on the ground

Guest Crezzi

To be honest I only recognised it after I had ripped up a piece of cardboard to use !

So I guess I'm in a cave too ;-)

Cheers

John