Orchid Beach Airstrip, Fraser Island

Sean

Hi.

Has anyone used the Orchid Beach Fraser Island airstrip?

And what type of aircraft did you fly in?

BTW: I rang them and they told me ultralights are not permiited to use the strip.

Ta.

Sean.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crezzi

Hi Sean

Graham & I have landed there in his Drifter & my trike. The Foxbat has been there already - check with Chris P

Cheers

John

Hi Crezzi.

I have decided not to use Orchid Beach now. I am going to use the Wangoolba airstrip just south of Kingfisher.

CU

Sean.

• 4 months later...
Guest Pabloako

Any more information?

Does anyone else have any more news / information on the Orchid Beach airstrip?

I can see that it is on the WAC, but I can't seem to find any more information out about it. Nothing in ERSA and the 2008/09 National Airfield Directory just has says "Orchid Beach (YORC) QLD" and no other details. I have also had a look around the internet and can't find too much info either.

:confused:

Guest High Plains Drifter

I hav'nt been that way for awhile - though last I heard it used to be run by the servo/shop owner near the strip.

Guest Pabloako

Thanks for your help. I will try and phone them up. (Nothing much changes in Queensland, so it is probably still the same person!)

Guest Pabloako

No luck after phoning lots of people and going in a complete circle. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

In the end I spoke to the manager of Eurong Beach Resort and they kindly sent through permissions and all of the details of Wangoolba airstrip, so I will land there for a 10 minute break this weekend. :thumb_up:

I tried getting permission to land at the other airstrip on Fraser, which is called Toby's Gap and managed by Queensland Parks and Wildlife, however the forms that needed to be filled in to get permission to land were longer than the actual airstrip, so I gave up on that one. :confused:

Thanks for your help. I will try and phone them up. (Nothing much changes in Queensland, so it is probably still the same person!)

Yeah 10 years and 1 Hour behind the rest of the country.

I wish we could at least catch up on the hour:laugh:

Peter

Orchid Beach

Flew over it about 3 or 4 days ago at 500ft. Looks in good nick with grass freshly mown - windsocks at each end of strip from memory. Rwy 13/31, 670 mtrs, grass. Phone number I have for contact is Reg & Pauline Bartlett, Orchid Beach Resort. Ph: 07 41279180. Fax: 07 41279247.

Hope this helps.

Wags.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Guest Pabloako

Wow... Thanks Wags. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

My trip up there was rained out last weekend, so I was going to try again this weekend. I will give them a ring in the morning. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest High Plains Drifter

Will there be a trip report Pabloako ? Be interesting to know whats there nowadays - is it a good $100 burger trip keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Guest Pabloako

I phoned the number above and was told to phone the “Orchid beach Trading Postâ€, which is the shop there, on 07 4127 9220 (They also have a website http://www.orchidbeachrentals.com/store.htm). The person I spoke to said that I can just land, walk across to the shop and pay the $15 landing fee. Hopefully they will sell burgers too!

If the weather is kind to me and I manage to get up to to Fraser, I will post some photo's. :big_grin:

Pabloako,

If your trip is on Saturday feel free to drop in at YMYB, we usually sell burgers for lunch and cold drinks are available all day. The local RAAus school operates Saturdays and it is the most active day for the aero club.

Cheers

Mick

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi all,

I've been flying to Orchid beach on several occasions in 2008 and found the Strip in good order ( apart from Roo's ) and some grass that could do with a bit of cutting.

The Staff at the Shop said that they would like more Planes to use the strip as there was a perception that this strip is closed. This is definately not the case and would like to encourage everyone to fly in and make use of this wonderful strip. I have only contacted the shop once before my first flight for landing permission and have not bothered since as they say that there is no need to ring . The landing charge is $15 and payable at the shop.

Whilst I fly a Savannah I have seen Cessna 172 / 182's and a Cherokee 300 .

I don't have accurate data of the length of the strip but guess it is about 700mts x 60 mts. - plenty long for most of us.

There is also some great accomodation for anyone who wishes to stay.

So - please fly there and spread the word.

safe flying:thumb_up:

Guest Pabloako

I landed there last Sunday and found it to be a lovely airstrip. The grass was nice and short, the sand wasn’t boggy at all and the staff at the shop were very helpful. I also bought a meat pie, a can of coke and built a sand castle.

The airstrip was around 700m long and a slight downward slope to the middle at either end, so at either direction there is a slight down slope landing and a slight down slope for the take off again.

There are two other airstrips on Fraser Island, however this one is the easiest to land at without having to pay HUGE fees or fill in mountains of paperwork.

• 8 months later...
What are you doing here if you feel that way?Richard.

TRYING TO CATCH UP THE 1 HOUR :thumb_up: like just about everybody else I talk to.

Apparently the Premier who was supposedly elected by the majority of the voting population has decided that despite a majority of the populations wanting Day light Savings She will on this issue represent a minority thumb_down and defy the rest of the Eastern states - Democracy at work yet again- I don't think so 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif.

Peter

Skycatcher, and I wonder where you may have come from originally ??..............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Maj,

I assume you were adressing me, I first moved to QLD from NSW in 1972 and have spent the last 11 Years in Hervey Bay So NO I am not just another southerner whining about the backward retarded nature of the state.;)

Why is it wrong in wanting to keep up with the rest of the country?i_dunno

The 10 years is the lifestyle - the 1 hour is just a nuisance and one hell of a waste of an extra hours flying after work.:thumb_up:

peter