Drifter future

Guest coolmango

Guest coolmango

Hi all

I heard on the grapevine by a keen diehard Drifter owner that I should consider a new drifter when they start product again.

Now in all honesty, I don't know the source very well, so I don't know if he is even slightly reliable, but he seemed to know Drifters in side out from beginning to end --- and he spoke with a degree of conviction and seems to belive what he told a group of "us".(note : does this ability come after retirement ??)

Apprently Drifter production will start again later this year as a family enterprise. I am told that new mods are on the way, and that these will be able to be retro fitted to current Drifters. Now I am far from even nearly being knowledgable - I have a huge "L Plate" on my back.

One of these mods seem to be removable wings.

The question I have is this : does anyone know fact or fiction ? I plan to buy a (perhaps?) drifter, but not for at least 6 months or so. So I am taking an eachway bet. However I am ever so courious now. Any thoughts or knowledge ?

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Coolmango,

Try "Whats happening at Dalby ?" in this thread.

What is your longer term objective with a Drifter...is it fun or instructing?

If fun, you might consider a non-certified aircraft made by Wayne Fisher at Lismore.

(Spectrum Aviation) ...I believe he is overseas at the moment, and will be so for another couple of weeks.

Wayne can do Rotax 503,582 and the delightful (on a Drifter) 912.

If you require a New certified Drifter you might be expecting to pay around $55-60 K.(from the Dalby guys),

You will be limited to a Rotax 582 but will be able to use, or have this aircraft used for training....The guys at Dalby are still hoping for production to get under way however this has been 'happening' for some years now.

I waited for nearly two years around 2005-06 for the 'New' certified version, and eventually decided to get a 912 'Super Drifter' from Wayne.

Loved every hour since.

Good hunting....there are lots of great options out there. Perhaps first try to decide what you want in the longer term....if its great fun local flying and periodical adventure cross country, then the Drifter could be you.

Cheers

JL

Guest coolmango

Hi Juliette

I am fairly open minded about what I am seeking, hence I am looking to buy in about 6 months. So I am just feeling out what is out there. unofficially I have "several" hours unoffically flying jabs, light wings, Taxans cessna's and the odd qucksliver GT500 - but I have fallen for the "seat of pants experience" with the drifters. So right now, thats my preferance. However that might change.

I am in a club where the majority of members have drifters, so seems to be a good fit. I am farmilar with Wayne Fisher and his little gems. Some of our club members fly them too.

But I have it on good authority that "the guys in Dalby" will be startup later this year, or early next year. they're waiting on a family member comming back to their fold..

If the mods are going to be able to be retro, that will have some impact on my decision. How the wings are braced makes me wonder how removeable wings could actually be a genuine upgrade to the design... so I am seeing if anyone else has hearrd this o any other of their plans for the drifter...

on the downside is that I am rather light, so adding lead under my seat is a "pain in the ass".... on the upside it does have certain advantages when it comes to power/weight ratios...

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi C,

I do hope they get underway....my first discussion with them was in 2004 and I indicated that I was a buyer. I held off on the promise of "later this year"....and waited for a long time before choosing another option.

The big question regarding their viability, and the future of New Drifters, will be the markets willingness to pay $55-60 K for the type....I sincerely hope so,especially for the sake of 'entry' aviators unable to afford $100k plus for the faster types.

JL

Guest coolmango

Hi Julette

I hope they price their product correctly. Else, if get a drifter it will be ff to Lismore for me......

• 5 months later...

Drifter

I learn't in a drifter with Fish, and jumping into a maxair after that makes a certified seem like an old pig. I would buy a fisher over a certified anyday.

• 1 month later...
Wayne can do Rotax 503,582 and the delightful (on a Drifter) 912.

If you require a New certified Drifter you might be expecting to pay around $55-60 K.(from the Dalby guys),

You will be limited to a Rotax 582 but will be able to use, or have this aircraft used for training...

Cheers

JL

I was told by one of the Dalby Drifter people that they had the Jabiru 2200 engine certified on the aircraft.

That appealed to me as I am not a big fan of two strokes due to the high fuel burn and low TBO of 300 hours for training operations. I have not heard from them for quite a while but I would think that $55 - 60 K for a two stroke powered rag wing will mean no sales for Drifter.

I think that they will have to offer 2200's or 912's to justify the price tag and look good with the big push for a "green" environment.:thumb_up:

Hi Bill.

There's no doubt about it - the indicated prices are ludicrous compared to what you could buy from Jabiru. If there is some accuracy in the figuresl, I would be interested to know where in the build process, they can justify such cost.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Seb7701,

Wayne Fisher built my SuperDrifter 912 ...originally quoted around $52,000 but ender up around $58000 with a STACK of extras and fully setup. I watched the progress and can vouch for the substantial build time. I believe Airbourne Microlights with 912 fitted are well over $60,000. Seems to me to be a lot more in a three axis aircraft, but I could be wrong.

The only extras I don't use regularly are the flaperons....beautiful trouble free aircraft and at $58000, would not get the same price from Wayne for the same aircraft if starting again.

Doubtless you have to be a Drifter fan to go this way and there are pluses and minuses when comparing the expenditure with other types. You can do things with a Drifter that can't be done safely with other types....and vice versa.

The 912 engines are now around $20,000 so there is a big chunk of the cost.

Time marches on for me as do health problems, and mine will soon be for sale....problem will be getting a reasonable return for an almost new aircraft (albeit a Drifter) when compared to the plastic types....so I may be in for a caning.

Incidently there is a 912 microlight with streak wing in the RAA mag for $58000 (save $10000).....I think the 912 SuperDrifter around $40,000 looks value....certianly more delightful to fly.... Trouble is making the decision to get serious and sell....might give it to the grandkids !

Cheers

JL

value.

Comparing it with the jabiru is a bit difficult. They are different in just about every way. I could imagine that there is more cost in building a Drifter. Can the jabiru motor be cooled as a pusher without a forced fan? I wonder.

The rotax 912 is pretty pricey too. Perhaps a bit of overkill, unless you are up in the weight area, or doing aero's. they are no dearer than trikes are they? Is that where the comparison could be made? Nev..

Just how anyone can justify paying 60k for a weight shift buggers me. Mike

Have you ever tried telling a motorbike owner that he could have a got a nice little car for the same price ?

Cheers

John

Incidently there is a 912 microlight with streak wing in the RAA mag for $58000 (save $10000).....I think the 912 SuperDrifter around $40,000 looks value....certianly more delightful to fly.... Trouble is making the decision to get serious and sell....might give it to the grandkids !

Cheers

JL

Hi JL

I've never flown a 3 axis of any sort and I'm very happy in my weight shift, I'm wondering what aspects of flight in a Drifter make it more delightful to fly ?

Regards Bill

making the Point.

I think the point is well made. Often you will get individuals saying that so much for TWO WHEELS is excessive when you can get FOUR WHEELS for less money. Means nothing. It just depends on what you like and how well the package is made, and what it DOES.... Nev.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Bill,

I grew up on gliders (sailplanes)and the three axis feather light controls became ingrained in me, particularly playing around in thermals. Later took a course in trikes....had a great trainer, and try as I and he may, I could never overcome controlling the wing with my lower back and upper arms....which for someone then in their fifties, simply was'nt worth the pain....

So, back to three axis....comfort, familarity, and fingertip control with my arm constantly resting on my lap.

I recently had a few flights in a trike and consolidated this earlier formed view.....also did'nt like some guys legs wrapped around my hips either....although this might have its advantages in certian circumstances.

Thats my take in any event.....I notice in other discussions in these forums,a couple of trike flyers have converted to three axis, so their opinions might be more valid than mine.

Could be a good conversation topic if you care to start it.....I'm sure you will get robust discussion on both sides.

Cheers

JL

Well, many valid points have been raised I guess the $20K Rotax engine was always going to jack the price up and I nudge things closer to Jabiru territory.

The thing is, even though I really am a drifter kind of guy, I would have some difficulty on forking out similar $$ for a drifter as opposed to a Jabiru.

I know they are different and I am not really that much of a fan of Jabs, but when it comes to a similar price tag, I would probably have to go for the fully enclosed cabin, 100kt cruise and four stroke economy and reliability.

I cant help but think there should be a fair gap in the price tags. I think Wayne's latest basic kit price was $23K the other week and I think that included a 503, so I guess for the moment, a bargain can still be had.

Oh, and I agree with JL -I can't think for one second why I would pay $60K to play piggy back in a trike!!!

Oh, and I agree with JL -I can't think for one second why I would pay $60K to play piggy back in a trike!!!

And your point is??? Piggy Back in a trike.

Whats the difference between piggy back in a trike and piggy back in a Drifter.

Each to there own. Personally I would pay 60k for a 912 trike before I would pay 25k for a drifter and in some instances a drifter doesn't even come close to a trike and vice versa.

As Crezzi comments try telling a bike rider that he can get a Hyundai for the price of his bike-I can promise you won't like the answer

And cars and bikes are similar in what way ?And weight shift and 3 axis are similar to cars and bikes in what way ?

Does that comment even justify a response, I think not:hittinghead:

And your point is??? Piggy Back in a trike.Whats the difference between piggy back in a trike and piggy back in a Drifter.

Your rear seat knee's are further back in a Drifter!! Trikes seem :big_grin: better with an afternoon trip to an isolated spot with the girl/boy friend:blush:

Tongue in cheek..... tongue in cheek!!!

Guest Juliette Lima

One of the real pluses for the Drifter is its rugged strength and manouverability, in particular the wire braced aircraft.

They are extremely popular on outback properties being used for mustering and put down anywhere maintenance. Many clock up thousands of hours in extremely tough conditions.

One property owner I know has had Drifters for fifteen years and three years back switched from R582 to R912....now looking to build another R912 kit.

"Work is sheer bloody fun and the extra power is great in and around trees and with strong thermals and sinking air"

In the States the SuperDrifter 912 is referred to as 'The Harley of the skys'....this may add to (on not) references to cars vrs bikes.

Personally I never figured on riding a Harley...I do however love being able to see the world with absolutely minimal forward and side odstruction. Views from the Drifter are simply superb.

Cheers

JL

Firstly - as Bilby said, the difference between piggy back in a drifter and a trike might have something to do with the fact that a drifter's passenger isn't even close to touching the pilot!

Having said that, I am not out to offend, and frankly would take no offence to anyone else's comments regarding a drifter because as with a trike devotee, we both have our individual tastes and like what we like.

The point I was making is the fact that trikes and drifters are great because they offer great flying with simplicity and the whole idea of simplicity is minimal or at least reduced cost associated with it. What's the point if this 'simple' machine costs $60K along with Jabs and the like?

The point I was making is the fact that trikes and drifters are great because they offer great flying with simplicity and the whole idea of simplicity is minimal or at least reduced cost associated with it. What's the point if this 'simple' machine costs $60K along with Jabs and the like?

And its a fair point ! I'm not an expert on Jabs but I'd guess that with the volume of sales they have recouped the costs of some of the capital equipment so they can sell the J120 at a very cheap price (would be more expensive with a 912 though). Hence top of the range trike seems relatively expensive. The entry level Airborne is less than $27K IIRC.

Cheers

John

Time marches on for me as do health problems, and mine will soon be for sale....problem will be getting a reasonable return for an almost new aircraft (albeit a Drifter) when compared to the plastic types....so I may be in for a caning.

.... Trouble is making the decision to get serious and sell....might give it to the grandkids !

Cheers

JL

Hi JL,

Sorry to hear that you have been crook and might sell your Drifter, don't give up because time marches on. At least you could pinch it from the grandkids now and again:laugh:

Do you know how Fish gets the C of G right with the 912 engine as it is around 15 Kg heavier than a 582?

Cheers