Drifter future

Guest coolmango

Hi JL,Do you know how Fish gets the C of G right with the 912 engine as it is around 15 Kg heavier than a 582?

Cheers

I saw him doing a super drifter conversion some years ago, he extended the boom forward and sleeved it. I recall he also inserted an ally "I" section inside the boom where bending stresses would be at a maximum.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Bilby,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Ibarnes has basically got it right , ie, an extended boom, lots reinforcing (extra sleeving) around engine supports and undercarriage....plus a lot more I specified.

Fish told me it is more trouble to modify an existing Drifter than to build a new one....(ie 912)

There is extra leg room in the front and that suits me fine as I felt a little cramped in my previous certified Drifter.

In respect of C of G, I can take off fully laden two up, with 70 litres of fuel, (7 hrs flying...Please don't state the odvious, as I now have about a three hour duration)

Trim the aircraft for 1200 fpm climb.....take hands off the controls and there is a very gentle easing of nose down. Fish tells me this is how it should be.

A lighter pilot, say 70kg ,might need a bit of ballast in the nose.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

JL

I can't think for one second why I would pay $60K to play piggy back in a trike!!!

WOO-HOO,

I've been over to Porpunka today to do my passenger endorsement.

I think I might spend the weekend piggybacking my wife around in the trike ;)

Regards Bill 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

The 912 engines are now around $20,000 so there is a big chunk of the cost.

Cheers

JL

Have a chat with with Bert Floods but you will find 912 A's (80 HP) at nearly $30,000 inc 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif. No wonder Jab 2200's at $14,000 are begining to take hold!!!

With the current economic situation starting to bite, I have difficulty in paying that much no matter how good the opinion of the engine is. Seems a bit like Holden and Falcon to me.

I will probably get a thread going in the engines section to find out why everyone likes 'their' particular engine brand.

• 2 months later...
Have you ever tried telling a motorbike owner that he could have a got a nice little car for the same price ?Cheers

John

Have you ever tried explaining to a car driver that the bike you buy for the price of a cheap car gives you motorcycle performance on par with a Lambourghini? 0-100kmh in less than 4 seconds....300kmh top speed....Not for the feint hearted...but then again neither is flying.

Lol Lol Lol to the car drivers...