Melbourne Newbie

Guest pelorus32

Guest pelorus32

Hi Everyone,

I stumbled on this forum whilst researching RA. It's a great resource - thanks to the people involved.

I've rekindled my interest in aviation after the usual hiatus - study, career, family, morgtgage.....

25 years or so ago I did a lot of time gliding - Blahniks mainly and then spent some time in the non-flying seat in light helicopters. Then nothing for 25 years!

I'm pretty interested in learning to fly RA type aircraft.

My first question is: Where would you go to learn to fly if you lived in Melbourne - Fitzroy?

I'm aware of schools at Tooradin, Sunbury, Point Cook, Ballarat x 2 and Goulburn Valley. Is that it? What are the relative merits of each of the options? Would you do "an hour a week" or do it in blocks? Any other advice for a rank beginner?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards

Mike

Gidday Mike,

You could consider joining the LAA to get some unbiased answers. They meet at the Hamton RSL hall for club meetings which would give you some depth of experience and answer questions you have without getting advice from someone your paying $$$ to for flight training.The joining fee is very low and they seem like a good bunch. Contact Leo Powning on 959 83115 for details. Cant hurt to pay them a visit? (Iknow Fitzroy is a 'little'driveto Hampton)

I have flown trikes since 1991 and have recently (last twelve months) made the switch to3 axis nosewheel. I purchased a tailwheel aircraft and have since converted over to a tailwheel endorsement, so my flight training is quite fresh in my mind.

I would suggest finding an instructor who you get along with well, as the student - instructor relationship is very important.

For me....... two 40-45 min lessons per day was very good.....any more than that was just a waste of money. It was good to have 1 1/2 hours between lessons to relax and gather ones' thoughts to assess your progress...etc.

Choose good weather for your initial flights and then work up to 'poorer' air quality as your experience and skillgrow.This will make you a better pilot. (in my opinion)

Another fact IS....RA flying will take you away from home. Which of coarse part of the joy of it all. I travel for 1 hour 20 mins to get to my hanger (which I built 12 years ago) and I have it set up for overnight stays.

Good luck with your new adventures

regards Arthur Withy. Adelaide.

ps...say Hello to Leo for me.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the world of recreational aviation.

For me it was almost a 40 year gap from starting to getting serious. It must be some sort of virus but the sky keeps calling.

David

Guest pelorus32

Hi Everyone,

thanks for the supportive welcome. I sussed out a few schools and found somewhere I like - professional, friendly and generally a good feeling. Had my first lesson at the weekend - 0.8 of an hour.

It was brilliant. I can't get over the great performance of the aircraft as well as the docile handling. I was even amazed that I remembered stuff from 25+ years ago!

Back for another lesson this weekend.

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32

Ahh...that gives it all away doesn't it? ;)

Tecnam P92.

I was amazed at the performance. A guy in an aerobat was doing circuits. We waited for him to be well clear of the strip before taking off. By the time we were crossing the u/wind boundary we were at the same height as him. I know what I'd rather fly.

The other thing is that I'm a sylph-like 105kg and 183cm. I had oodles of room to spare in the Tecnam. I felt like I was climbing into the aircraft, not putting the aircraft on like a wetsuit!

Back again this weekend.

Regards

Mike

Guest Ken deVos

OK, OK I'm curious, but I'm now even more confused. Where are you flying the Tecnam from Mike?

noun

a slender, graceful woman or girl.

2 (in folklore) one of a race of supernatural beings supposed to inhabit the air.

[Origin: 1650–60; < NL sylphēs (pl.), coined by Paracelsus; appar. b. sylva (var. sp. of L silva forest) and Gk nýmphē]

—Related forms

sylphic, adjective

sylphlike, adjective

—Synonyms 2. Sylph, salamander, undine (nymph), gnome were imaginary beings inhabiting the four elements once believed to make up the physical world. All except the gnomes were female. Sylphs dwelt in the air and were light, dainty, and airy beings. Salamanders dwelt in fire: “a salamander that … lives in the midst of flames” (Addison). Undines were water spirits: By marrying a man, an undine could acquire a mortal soul. (They were also called nymphs, though nymphs were ordinarily minor divinities of nature who dwelt in woods, hills, and meadows as well as in waters.) Gnomes were little old men or dwarfs, dwelling in the earth: ugly enough to be king of the gnomes. Ken deVos

Guest pelorus32

The Tecnam is at Shepparton.

The bit about sylph like is encapsulated in the piece of your text that says:

light, dainty, and airy beings

Unfortunately also the bit that says "ugly enough to be king of the gnomes"!!!

Regards

Mike

Guest Ken deVos

Hi Mike

I needed to search the dictionary to understand your post - hence my confusion :big_grin:

I've trained in a Jab butwould love to fly the Tecnam and especially the Bravo model.They (the tecnams) all look like beautiful aircraft with great specs. Coincidently, did you see the video posted by Ben Longden on the Tecnam doing crosswind landings? Good to see.

Unfortunately, Sepparton is a long way from Melbourne. Are you doing your training in several sessions each day? Also what are the charges for their aircraft and is the CT still online (another favorite of mine)?

I'm sure you will enjoy the training there, seems like a friendly bunch. If you remember, say hello to 'Jabiru Joe'. Though he may not remember our encounter,I think he is a local celebrity.

Cheers

Ken.

Ken deVos

Guest pelorus32

Hi Ken,

I'm working up to a couple of sessions a day or a two day stint.

As far as I know the CT is no longer on line - it wasn't pointed out or discussed with me when I did my walk around.

I've seen the video, it's great footage.

Regards

Mike