A plea for more personal responsibility

Guest TOSGcentral

Steven,Some of what you say is probably correct and we may all be guilty from time to time,however,some of us are genuinely trying to help others.

What is the content of information you wish to see and what benefit are you looking for because without spelling it out,how can anyone provide it.

And I also would like to ask, "Who is the group"?,as I understand it,this forum constists of many individuals,from student pilots to professional pilots so how could anyone cater to everyone.

Regards,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

G'day Frank,

I have no doubt that people are genuinely trying to help others. There has only been a few posts that I've been left bewildered as why the person made their post, if other than for the benefit of their own ego.

The 'benefit' is the sharing of information and reasoned opinions amongst the readers of this forum - 'The Group'.

Aviation is a marvelous thing Frank. It's got me stuffed why a few punters have to turn it into a contest.

Cheers!

Steven B.

Guest Andys@coffs

the interesting thing from my perspective is that other than the bit of back and forth between the 2 it was all relatively under control until a new forum member came in and on his first post threw a whole buch of hand grenades.... It was interesting that he remained standing.....

While I personally may not agree with everything that J posted, and indeed very little of what HPD posted they did bring something to the forums, either through their posts, or others pointing out the error of their ways, not sure that the new poster can claim the same.

Still, at the end of the day Ian gets to make the rules. I get to like them or leave........and here I am .....somewhat bemused but here none the less.

Andy

maybe this is the "damned if you do" bit (that was the non helpful bit.... and now to the suggestion)

Perhaps to stop the ambush by a new member Ian and or slarti could require a moderator to approve the initial 1 to 5 posts or so before they appear. In this case the particular thread would have continued in a constructive way rather than face sudden death...

Andy, the hand grenade thrower was issued with a warning PM - like this and so much more things happen behind the scenes that provide the complete picture. This complete picture is why the suspensions were issued. Since then other things have happened and J430's ban has been increased to permanent - as I said, so much happens behind the scenes that takes up so much of our time and why I sometimes get a bit frazzled in my own posts because you just at times get so sick of the children playing games that you often ask yourself is it really worth it?

AUFChat couldn't handle it so they closed.

Pprune doesn't even try so they have a cesspit

Other aviation forums have tried different ways but they only have very small amount of users that they can control

Recreational Flying believes in providing you, and with what ever it takes, a valuable resource to help all so we just keep on busting our gut - decent people know and appreciate that which is why we do it but those that don't appreciate it I don't think deserve to benefit from this resource at all.

Just my way of thinking...now on with developing Version 4 of the forums - its theme: "One recreational flying Australia"

Guest Andys@coffs

Ian thanks. In knowing that there was more that occured than had previously been made public made me feel that a degree of fairness had been aplied. Whats that saying, justice must not only be done, but seen to be done.

"decent people know and appreciate " I hope that I dont fall outside that definition by asking :ah_oh:. That said, I do understand the level of effort you put in. I for one, with a young family, as you also have, could not and would not do what you do. We are the better for what you do.

Andy

Guest Decca

A bit off topic here, but yes Ian there's a blue Gazelle hiding from the hail pinging off the roof of a shed in Ballarat.

It flew (for .6hr) last Monday after a 40 day break, but weather permitting there's opportunities tomorrow (Sat), Mon, & Thursday.

Decca.

.... decent people know and appreciate that which is why we do it but those that don't appreciate it I don't think deserve to benefit from this resource at all.

Hey, I'm decent (well, i do swear a lot, but otherwise I'm decent).

Ian, I appreciate what you're doing and am happy enough to abide by the rules. But it's difficult, and somewhat risky, to hook in and debate a 'hot' issue seriously because there's a better than average chance that someone's going to get offended. This makes the debate, while very civilised, a bit one sided and well...artificial. Like I said in my first post, maybe it's just me...031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

I'm not suggesting reducing the forum into chaos, but there are underlying issues that are left unaddressed. Some squabbles need to be finalised publicly, like Andy mentioned, otherwise, it's same bull paddies (doing my best not to swear), different day.

Having now had my little rant, I shall retreat to my corner of the sandpit and keep my observations and opinion to myself like a good decent chap. :black_eye:

Cheers!

Steven B.

P.S. Can't go flying 'cuz the weather sucks. thumb_down

The Tongue in Cheek icon is almost mandatory :thumb_up:

A couple of years ago I and several other Australians involved in an International on line University Diploma had to constantly clarify our comments in the forums.

We were often too direct and too frank with our comments for other participants from Asia and the UK. And we were all supposedly educated professionals of similar standing.

Culturally I think we do leap in where others would take a more reserved approach. It is hard to reflect the Mood and affect of our responses in an on line forum.

With upwards of 2000 registered participants the moderators need to keep a finger on the pulse. Perhaps more use of the PM system for those with a gripe or bone to pick would be useful. An perhaps using real names might keep people honest 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Guest Decca

Hiya Ian. It’s going, but slowly. Between weather & Instructor availability, it’s difficult to get any continuity. Anyway at risk of hijacking a thread, I better continue where I left off in the student pilot thread “it is with great pleasureâ€.

See you all there! (If not Hopetoun).

Decca .