Google Maps StreetView Australia

Guest peterf

Guest peterf

For those that haven't seen it yet, the controversial street view is available for Australia.

Not just the city areas either. The areas in blue on the attached map show where you can get street level viewing.

-Peter

streetview.jpg.799e96241d0b33e7b224d8f8a86226f7.jpg

Guest palexxxx

Hi Peter,

I've been looking at street-view earlier today.

Why do you say that it's controversial?

Peter.

Guest basscheffers
Why do you say that it's controversial?

Because pedophiles could see your kids playing on the front lawn! (over 6 months ago, in lower image quality than a Target catalog) Because thieves could see where luxury cars are parked! (as if they didn't know the rich suburbs before Street View existed) People might see you visited a brothel! (if you do this regularly, you are more likely to be spotted by people that know you in the street rather than from the one moment in time the Google cameras were there)

There was a piece on it on Channel 10 last night about the privacy issues of just being able to see random people on the road and google not blurring faces. Of course, like news always does with any story, they had high-def footage of unobscured people minding their own business on the street. I wonder if they realised the irony.

It's only controversial because most people are paranoid idiots and news outlets make money out of scaring people. In any case, it is not going to go away unless we lose the part of the law that says we are allowed to take pictures of anything and anyone from public land and use them for editorial purposes without consent, release or compensation. You think the same new organisations are going to let that happen?

As for me, I just looked up the Hampstead Hotel on North East road where the local flying club is meeting tonight so I could see what to look for. Then I moved into the side street next to it and confirmed there is ample parking at the back. How controversial was that?

Guest palexxxx

My thoughts exactly. I don't think it's controversial at all. The whack-jobs that do, don't want people to see their houses on this site and yet if you went to their address and stood outside it there's nothing they could complain about.

Guest peterf

Hey, don't include me on the whack-jobs list. I was just pointing out that some people thought it was controversial - unfortunately those people seem to have influence over the media (as seems to be the usual case). i_dunno

Hi motzartmerv, the logo is our new club logo. Not sure who decided on it - hope it sends the right message.

-Peter