carrying Bicycles

Dayble

Ian

The J230 at Natfly from Tazzy with the bra and pants artwork on the side had 1 or 2 fold-up push bikes on board and the owners were very pleased with the arrangement, as I quizzed them on their set-up.

Regards Geoff

Guest brentc

You're probably right Captain, the J230 probably has the largest luggage of any RA aircraft on the market if you don't include the area within the fuselage (eg. a Murphy Rebel would have heaps of space, but this would be in the area with the control tubes / cables). The Terrier has room for sleeping through the fuse, however it's not a practical shaped space. I use my fuselage space behind the sound curtain for light gear like sleeping bags, pillows and sleeping mats etc, so 2 or 3 people can go away for a weekend if they carry a sports bag or similar with their clothes and this occupies seat 4.

Thanks Cap'n and Brent,

There is quite a few nice places to fly, where bikes would easily get you to town

or other interesting bits...

Looks like i either get a j200-230 or make the A/C tyres quick release and learn to

unicycle....

Brent, d'ya reckon 2 foldup bikes behind a j170 seat would be ok ?

Say 25 kg and then the usual odds and ends like tools and oil and pump,

tie down stakes, rope, ...

( for the Jab that is..)

Guest brentc

Weight wise you'd possibly be ok, however there's not much space in there, mainly because o fthe aileron cables. I was lucky to fit in my petrol scooter into the back of the J400 mainly because of the shape. The J230 I saw at Narromine with bikes in the back would definitely not have fitted the same cargo into the J170.

I've been meaning to try again however I *think* I can fit my Norco racer and the other half's Giant in the back of the J400 with wheels and seats off. Would definitely fit in a 200 / 230 without the seats in the back. We've been discussing lately visiting a few places by bike such as Torquay and Apollo bay which would be good. Phillip Island would be a good one too or anywhere for that matter really.

That Bladeschool is cute, but small tyres can be a problem on tracks, unless you are

certain to be on roads..

There is quite a few, like Strida's and Spyders in that $ range,

and of course plenty of the over $1000 ones !!!

The j170 Aileron cables do make heaving a bike in a bit more difficult.

Brent, do you think putting a door in a j170 ( like in the 230 )

to get at the luggage space is practical or might it weaken it too much ?

Guest brentc

Hmmm....... interesting question Ian and I'm really not sure on the correct answer other than to say probably not. I'd say that part of the fuselage would be quite structural as the shape of the a/c differs somewhat to that of the 200 series.

You'll just have to pay the extra $20'ish K extra for a 230.

........ and the other half's Giant .........

BC

Your other half's giant what?

From the photos that I have seen, your other half is pretty well (if not ideally) proportioned.

The small wheels in the bushpilot's link would be an issue for me in most country strip locations. A bit bigger would be nice I think.

Regards

GK

Guest brentc

I think you know what I mean Mr. Captain. I guess buying a more expensive (and lighter) bike will be easy now once I convince her that it needs to be lighter for in the aircraft! When I talk about bikes I'm referring to full sized racers, as in triathlon bikes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hooowdy!

I carry an electric folding bike in the back of my aeroplane.

Weighs 23 kg, does about 25 km/hr with a range of around 30 km.

Bubba

http://www.evehicle.com.au[/url] quote]

Hey Bubba - What did you paid for that one? Same as they say on the website here?

Do you know where it was made? (They say "designed for Australian conditions"... but not where built).

How long have you had it and are the batteries holding up OK? (They often fade fairly quickly - and dont hold a full charge..)

Txs

Chris

I paid about $1600 for the Sherpa. I've had the it for about 18 mths. Have had no trouble with either it or the battery in that time. Still seems to charge up as well as it did when new.

I think they are designed and assembled in Melbourne from components that are made up in China and elsewhere.

It's a great bit of gear, if ya not bothered about looking like a bit of a dork riding around on it.

I have yet to see anything better. The latest version has front suspension, which mine doesn't.

Bubba