Red Bull 2008

Guest brentc

Guest brentc

Thought I'd start a Red Bull thread for this year.

I haven't been before and was wondering who is going and what are your plans?

Have found a place on Terrace Road next to the airstrip which looks good. Does this sound like a good spot?

We went over to the other side (via the ferry) on the last practice day and on race day stayed close to the strip. :thumb_up: (Ya gotta see the crazy take offs) :confused::ah_oh::big_grin: Didn't have the hassle of trying to get back (over the water) with everyone else once the race was finished. :thumb_up:

Take lots of bottled water (and lotsa photos) post here. :big_grin::big_grin:

regards

:big_grin:

Pete

How good is it?

How long is the program/entertainment/competition each day?

Is it worth the effort to get over there when you can also get it live on the Teeeev?

Would you go again?

Regards Geoff

Guest Cloudsuck

I went over there for the first one, it was awesome. I set up on the opposite side from the airstrip that year as the track was closer to that side. From what I saw on the T.V. last year, the track was different so I don't know what side was best.

I definitely recommend going at least once. The aerial entertainment before and after the race that you don't see on the T.V. is great. I also got my wife to tape the race on T.V. and watched it when I got home.

If it was on the east coast, I would go every year.

Guest brentc

Captain are you flying your machine over? The $650 each way Avgas bill scared me off a little.

I'm looking at a place next to the strip for several of us - it's average $400 per night.

Someone at my work is telling me it's better on the southern side, but now I'm not too sure.

The $650 each way Avgas bill scared me off a little.

G'day Brent,

That is not so expensive if you make sure you have $700 or more of fun flying yourself each way.

That shouldn't be a problem, don't you reckon?

Regards Geoff

Im interested Brent.. Just did the sums on my AirNav program for Bathurst to Perth in J160, and it says:

1701 NM

1058 minutes flying time

265 litres Avgas

So, hmmm, yes, could be easier riding a Virgin.. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Its a bit like football and cricket. :big_grin: TV is great - you get to see all the shots close up, lots of replays from all angles and slow mo of the really good bits. :thumb_up:

BUT

there's nothing like being there live! 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif The sound is fantastic. Practice days are longer as there is a larger gap between contestants while on race day things are a lot quicker. Good displays by the RAAF/ARMY on race day is also a plus. :thumb_up:

If you get a chance jump on a CAT bus. These buses go around the city (three different routes if I remember right) and are FREE. :big_grin: Each bus is GPS equiped and each bus stop will tell you correctly when the next bus is due down to the minute. Brilliant! We toured around the whole city getting off when we saw something interesting and then jumping back on again. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

Plenty of places in the city centre for breakfast and lunch, but watch out they alll close at around 2.30 and you're on your own for dinner. :ah_oh:

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Wouldn't miss it!!

I won't miss it whilst it is held in WA. Would I go if it was in the Eastern States..... Mmmm probably not. It is a great day though. I haven't been to the North side near the strip 'cos I want to see the racing action which is set up closer to the South side; that's where the grandstand is set up and the views are magnificant!! Make sure you have plenty of sunscreen, a good hat and plenty of water. Really exciting day!

Things to do? Plenty of sights to see - Kings Park, all the beaches, Jandakot airport, (5 minutes from where I live:)) Serpentine Airfield, Murray Airfield, out to Northam in the Avon Valley for a balloon ride or a ride with Steve Vette in a thruster or Gazelle, check out the sand dunes at Lancelin about 1.5 hours north of Perth. How about Sunday breakfast at one of the many restaurants and cafes in cosmopolitan Fremantle with a walk through the Freo Markets after. How about a day trip to Rottnest Island (Rotto) where you can spend your time exploring to your hearts content including a tour of the underground tunnels and gun placements used during WW11.

Come on over guys us Sandgropers will see you right!!!

Red Bull Flingwing

Maybe they will bring Chuck Aaron over with his highly modified RedBull Eurocopter. This is the only helicopter that is cleared to do full on inverted aerobatics it pulls +3.1g and

-1g doing rolls and loops. When this guy flys half of you wants to watch and the other half wants to hide. If he turns up don't miss his act.

AIRVENTURE_2008_314.jpg.61332d5d57ac2112e7e2d2d958db38ad.jpg

AIRVENTURE_2008_315.jpg.b74d3eb0d14ea3fe97e69cb89e80ec15.jpg

Thanks for the great feedback from those that have been.

What's the go with reserved seating? Is that just in the stands and what happens elsewhere around the course?

Did any of you fly yourselves over ..... or did you wimp out and pick up a lower cost www fare with the Quaintarse or the Virgin?

And if you did fly over, where did you land and leave your aircraft?

The reserved seating is just in the stands and its '1st in best dressed' in all other areas; pick a spot and stick to it 'cos the crowds will be awesome!!

I would imagine most aviators would fly in to Jandakot and tie down there although I think there are restrictions on RAAus aircraft. Sorry for the vagueness but I fly 1.5 hours out of Perth and don't have the current requirements for Jandakot.

Guest basscheffers

When we lived in London we missed out on going (when it was still at Longleet) because of weather. (wet, but mostly too windy)

Soooo.... I just cashed in my QF airmiles and am going there with the missus! (kids tied down at the grandparents for the weekend :big_grin:)

We're there from friday late arvo till monday morning.

How about an RA-Aus get together? Saturday night?

Cheers,

Bas.

I went last year and it was fantastic.

I spent the two comp days over by the strip to watch the takeoffs and landings. I also took field glasses to keep up with the action and that was well and truely complimented by the big screens and the sound system. Perth is exspensive to stay eat and drink in but what a show.

If your there and you have time visit the "Bull Creek Museum", it an aircraft museum with everthing from ultalights to a Lancaster. Its the only aviation museum I've ever been in thats set in a retirement home, mostly all ex RAF & RAAF.

David

Went last year and stayed over the northside of town. Once you are in town, it costs nothing to move around. The Cat buses as mentioned, even the race is free. We set ourselves up right on the beach for all the trials just between the start finish pylons and right in line with the chicane pylons. AWESOME! I had my backup VHF set up on the race frequency just to get a heads up on who was coming in. Get in early and plenty of fluids and sunblock. On race day and seeing it was my Birthday I shouted me and missus to a seat up in the stands. Was it worth the $100 each for the privelage??? Not really, especially compared to where I was set up for the day before. I want to fly myself over next time. The tube is cheapest and quickest compared to all modes of transport. But, it isn't me flying.

Sight Seeing around Perth? Bull Creek is pretty good. Freo markets. I found the restaurant scene pretty good with plenty of choice as to price range as well as late feeds. Lot of pubs that I didn't get a chance to try. struck up a good convo with a knucklehead on the bus back from the race. All in all quite a friendly place. Enjoyed myself:thumb_up:

Hey skybum, I'm looking into my crystal ball and I can see 2 big fellas sitting in a J170 crossing a vast quantity of land....wait, I can see planes, lots of planes with lots of advertising on them flying very low.....no, its gone, cant see anymore....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Not sure if I would cross the country for it but have been lucky to be living within walking distance of the foreshore last couple of years, hard to stay home when you hear the planes buzzing for an aviation nut such as myself :) (just guessing but could be in similar company on this forum) Also worth having a handheld to listen on the local redbull frequency - gives you another side of it - practise is also great to watch in the days leading up to the race..

only helicopter that is cleared to do full on inverted aerobatics it pulls +3.1g and -1g doing rolls and loops.

I didn't see it do anything that I've not seen a helicopter do before by company demo pilots at Marignane years ago.

(Sorry, I'm airshowed out, I only go to see friends now.)

I didn't see it do anything that I've not seen a helicopter do before by company demo pilots at Marignane years ago.(Sorry, I'm airshowed out, I only go to see friends now.)

Ah but were both certified for aerobatics?

Dunno, I can only assume that the French had the appropriate permits. I see that the Red Bull pilot has an FAA pilot certificate for helicopter aerobatics. I don't know what that means as the FAA does not have any requirement for aerobatic training or aerobatic endorsement. Perhaps it is a reference to an airshow waiver for low level aerobatics in a helicopter. I see that the helicopter itself has an Experimental certificate.

Sponsers had Micheal attend Airventure until the Wednesday. Then he had to pack up the aircraft and head to Hungary. May explain why he finished outside the points.

AIRVENTURE_2008_353.jpg.6afb3eb87aa1b57c2ba8d079f38b9247.jpg