Flight Sim question?

Guest Rocko

Clear Prop has the joystick in there now - check the Clear Prop column on the left of the forum home page and click the flight sim products link

Guest Flyer40

Bob, I have FS2004 and FSX. I would say FSX is nicer but not necessarily better and as Scotty says you need a super computer to run it.

For a lot of people the sim itself is like an operating system to which a lot of freely available stuff is downloaded and installed to create a customised environment.

I'd suggest you get a copy of FS2004 then download some better scenery and aircraft and see where it takes you.

But beware, you can get carried away with it. Not just the flying but the tinkering. There's no limits in the virtual world. With addon software (free and/or payware) you can install a G1000 in your favourite aircraft for $60 instead of $100K, you can build your own private airfield, or you could go crazy and add an autopilot and turbine engine to your trike. Whatever you can imagine.

The accuracy and performance numbers are such that there's a definate safety case for real pilots to use a PC based sim to stay current and to famailiarise themselves with a new location before they do it for real.

FS is excellent for navigation training. You can take a real VNC with a CR2, download the latest weather, create a real flight plan, fly VFR on top for 3 hours and hit your destination on the nose if you've got your navigation right.

The main criticism I have of the Microsoft product is the feel of the aircraft is not very realistic, in my view real aircraft are easier to handle.

You'll also need some decent controls so don't let the initial impressions flying the crappy default aircraft with a keyboard put you off. There'll be a world of difference once you get your setup right.