LSA Lycoming

icebob

Lycoming Engines Launches the IO-233-LSA

Oshkosh, WI - July 28, 2008 - Lycoming Engines, a Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT) company, announced today at the 2008 EAA AirVenture, the launch of the IO-233-LSA engine. The IO-233-LSA is an American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) conformed gasoline engine nominally rated at 100HP to 116HP.

"The IO-233 concept started with several of our own engineers building kit aircraft and needed a power plant they could not find on the market today,†stated Michael Kraft, vice president of Engineering. “They wanted the strengths of the venerable O-235 Lycoming Engine at less weight with no reduction in reliability and a few key feature enhancements, including low octane unleaded fuel capability. The new IO-233-LSA engine is the result, and we’re confident that it will prove to be a premium engine for Light Sport Aircraft."

New engine design features include the incorporation of throttle body fuel injection with an optimized air induction system and electronic spark ignition within a proven engine. Substantial overall weight reductions and improvements in engine size make the IO-233-LSA well suited for today’s Light Sport Aircraft applications. The engine is also approved for 2,400 hour time between overhaul (TBO) intervals giving it one of the longest Light Sport Engine TBOs in the market today.

To give pilots an unleaded fuel option, the engine will be approved for use on both ASTM D910 100LL and 93 AKI ASTM D484 / EN 228 automotive based fuels that conform to Lycoming specifications.

The IO-233-LSA is currently undergoing final performance and endurance testing. ASTM conformance will be completed in 2008. FAA certification is under consideration for 2009 and may proceed based upon market demand. Performance and packaging information is available now for Light Sport Aircraft OEM use.

Guest basscheffers

Interesting development. Even more interesting is that Lycoming and Cessna are both part of the Textron group and yet, the 162 is supposed to get a Continental engine.

Somehow I see a design change coming up soon!

Query?

Are you sure about that?. TCM is TELEDYNE Continental. Motors, and they have entered into a joint development arrangement with Honda to look at developing a new engine. ( or a concept at least.). Nev..

Guest basscheffers

Well, it is pure speculation, of course. Cessna has always said the 162 will get a Continental engine. But now that Cessna's sister company Lycoming has an LSA-suitable engine in the works, it would not surprise me if Cessna changes to that.

Apart from the Columbia-inherited 350 and 400, the other Cessnas have Lycoming engines.

New developments.

What you say is true enough, re use of Lycoming engines. I am not sure that the link with Continental and Cessna is so rusted on as some think, The Cont. O-200D is a fair bit lighter than the LYC. 233 I think though I do not have the precise figures. If we get the 760 kg through these reliable engines will come into their own. With high TBO's the service costs are well below whatever else is about at the moment and the consumption figures are 20- 22 & 24-25 litres/ hour, which you can live with. Nev..

How much - I wonder.regards

I wonder how they'll compare with a Rotax 912/S or Jabiru 3300? $ for $ Many recreational flyers enjoy their sport on limited budgets, so I imaginge they'd have to bear this factor in mind with the initial cost, even though the TBO's look good.

• 1 year later...

I was just wondering, whats the latest on the IO-233, i like it because you can run it on mogas, as well.Unlike continental with their O-200 (according to their web site).Anyway, lycomming had a video on their EM2, or E2, it was back around 2008. Electronic fuel injection, with monitoring each cylinder etc, etc, like FADEC.Anyone know any more about it. ZLIN AERO has the Savage cub, has the io-233 on their site as a option, but michael doesnt.I heard that it isnt approved here yet.(io-233).Is that correct ?.

Guest basscheffers

O-200s run fine on MOGAS and there are MOGAS STCs many aircraft with all sorts of Lycos and Contis.

But for power to weight and reliability in the 80-100HP market, I don't think you can beat the Rotax 912 series. The only reason I'd consider anything else is the scarcity of 100LL, let alone PULP, at airfields in SA. But as long as you run PULP most of the time, the occasional 100/130 top up isn't going to hurt.

Hi Basscheffes, i agree the Rotax 912 is the way to go, i was just wondering what is the lasted news. TCM- according to their site, apparently, dont approve of mogas, and it will void warranty if used, even though their are STC,s out there.I guess that would only be a problem with a brand new engine from them and any warranty issues arise.

• 7 months later...

I was looking at Cub Crafters Forums.They have been waiting for the io-233 LSA engine.They havent heard Much from Lycoming. They did mention though, that Lycoming have Dropped the fuel injection and have gone back to Carby. A gent on the forum said that lycoming are takings orders for the LSA.So i popped over to Lycomings web site.Yes- they are taking orders now for the o-233 LSA engine. They also say that it is Carby, not injected.(cant work out why the dropped the injection)anyway.TBO 2400 115Hp @ 2800 RPM.It is capable of running MOGAS.So in a nut shell- It is availiable, but no injection .

Ps- i had a bit more of a read, it is 213 pounds dry weight.It uses CDI ignition.They are currently working with A/c manufactures, and will offer Injection in the future.(Might be a while, its taken a long time to get to this stage.)

Carb. ?

Fuel injection is not really new. The older "mechanical" systems work well in aircraft but would not be up to what is required for cars, which idle a lot. If they are "tuned" correctly you will get good economy, and you have manual mixture control. You could flood the engine and set fire to the grass if you mucked up the start. Carburettors are very satisfactory if they are set up OK and they are under the engine. You have to accept that you can get carb icing but they are simple. You have manual mixture control as well. ( A feature which I like as you stop the engine by fuel starvation too ).

Neither system requires electricity to operate it.

Both the LYC. and Continental engines under discussion, are suitable for mogas and avgas, and both have high TBO's that make your usage per hour lower than any other engines available currently. Remember that TBO's have to be earned not just stated by a hopeful manufacturer, to be valid. Nev

TBO's have to be earned not just stated by a hopeful manufacturer, to be valid. Nev

You make some very good points there Nev (as usual)

The engines in my sons cars never seem to last like mine do (hopefully he'll figure it out one day). despite telling him so much depents on the nut behing the throttle.