Flying from SA to Narromine

Guest rxbrumby

Guest rxbrumby

I am thinking about flying to Narromine in 09. I looking to find anyone from south australia who has done this trip and/or are going to. I am based at Aldinga, which is about 50kms south of Adelaide. I have my own aircraft and are currantly doing longer nav trips with it as weather allows. I would have to be able to refuel every 2 to 2.25 hours as I have only got a 50 ltr tank and use 16ltrs an hour at 85/90knts. I will also probably be taking my 7 year old daughter with me, and will need to let her have some rest between sectors. I may take a week to ten days of work, and if funds and weather allow might also either visit relatives in canberra, or travel up to queensland. Any suggestions on routes or helpful info would be appreciated.

Scott

My initial thoughts were:

1. Aldinga (overfly Murray Bridge) - Wentworth = 183 nm

2. Wentworth - Griffith = 208 nm

3. Griffith (overfly Condoblin) - Narromine = 163 nm

Total 554 nm

but, on reflection that may be stretching it a little especially if you get a headwind. So:

1. Aldinga (overfly Murray Bridge) - Loxton = 118nm

2. Loxton - Robinvale = 106 nm

3. Robinvale (overfly Balranald and Hay) - Griffith = 165nm

4a. Griffith - Condoblin = 91.2 nm and then Condoblin - Narromine = 72.4 or,

4b. Griffith (overfly Condoblin) - Narromine = 163 nm

Total 552 nm.

regards

You will if you access the passenger terminal - most of us just park adjacent to the clubrooms (pies, pasties, sausage rolls and cold drinks always available) and it's not a problem (so far).

regards

Guest Andys@coffs

Scott

Ive done it about 1/2doz times now.....in a J230 thats Gawler -Narromine in about 4.5hrs @ 115 or so. So I guess that doesnt really help. I fly Gawler - overhead waikerie- overhead pooncarie -overhead Ivanhoe-overhead Tottenham - Narromie. All of which have Airports, but Im not sure about the availability of fuel. All are pretty well in a direct line for Narromie. The land inbetween is interesting to look at... for the first 5 mins or so...... There are also quite a number of stations that you fly over/near that also have airstrips available.

Andy

PS North of Narromie the country turns much nicer with good rich farming land. Most of the time I fly to Narromie its on the way to Grafton in northern NSW. Narromie to Grafton is fine until you skirt around the Tamworth CTA up on the Great dividing range the country again becomes decidedly tiggerish the last run from Armidale down to Grafton is even worse. One up, understanding the risk is OK, 2 up with a young one, bit unfair on them Id suggest.

Hi Andy and Scott

I have been thinking about doing the same trip only from Narromine to adelaide

Im thinking of perhaps going to the Flyin at Narromine from Kilcoy in Queensland and then continuing on to Adelaide as we have rellies in the Port, bearing in mind I am only up to doing circuits in my training , about 12 hours up so far however having said that

I paid the balance off of my brand new second hand Savannah today and I cant wait to finish my training and get to fly it to all the wonderful places in our country

Ken

Guest rxbrumby

Thanks for the info. will hve to start doing a few longer navs to get some needed practice and to accustom the girl to flying for that long. At the moment she is happy to ride around for an hour or so at a time. She cant wait till she is big enough to fly herself. I have been teaching her how to read the map and use the wizz wheel, she does pretty well for a 7 year old. I cant keep her out of the plane, constant fight between her and the wife about who goes for the ride. Might have to do a ppl and get a 4 seater but RAAus plane are just too much fun and a lot cheaper. Have to get the wife to learn to fly and get a single seater, might be cheaper. I will start buying the WACs and VNCs this weekend. Am also thinking about buying a garmin 496 or something simular, I have been using a cheap magellan hand held to back up the old wobbly compass.

Scott