Garmin 295

Kenny

I was over at the Garmin dealer yesterday and he was telling me a story that happened the other day with a Mendelssohn's 296.

Firstly Mendelssohn's units are not Australian so this guy came in with one under warranty and he was told that it was only covered under warranty in the UK.

The owner then said he took the first one back and had to wait several weeks to be told that they were giving him a new one. After 1 month it starting faulting as well.

Remember Mendelssohns exist here in Aussie simply because Mendelssohn's daughter married an Aussie so they now live here and sell the stuff that is from the UK

With the US dollar at the moment Clear Prop can't even buy them for what Mendelssohn is selling them for. Now one would think that I would be better to buy them off him but no - not with the warranty problems and them being non Australian units - I think you all deserve better then that but Mendelssohns are the cheapest at the moment if you want to risk it.

Guest Wingman98

I was able to pick mine up for $990USD, which at the time was about $1050AUD. That came with all the fruit like chargers and mounts etc.

Guest Wingman98

Does anyone know if this can be installed connected to the Garmin external blister antenna? I don't like the smaller one they include because they tend to cook if you leave them in the sun.

Guest High Plains Drifter

I've had something like five Pronav/Garmin failures over the years. The best/cheapest option I've found for repaires is to send the unit back to Garmin for a 'fixed price' overhaul. The last two units came back with new screens. :thumb_up: Last I looked Garmin put up the price schedual on their web site.

Why I bought a Garmin 495

Faster Update Rate - 5 times refresh rate of Garmin 296

For added realism and safety, the 495 updates map data and "Panel" page instruments at 5 Hz, a significantly faster update rate that gives you a smoother, near “real-time” presentation of your aircraft’s analog indicators, such as the HSI and turn coordinator.

And also...

View Your Position on Taxiways

Garmin SafeTaxi data provides detailed taxiway diagrams and position information for airports. Preloaded on the unit, this information helps you navigate unfamiliar airports with confidence and shows your aircraft’s exact position on the field.

Access AOPA Airport Directory

Easily look up taxi services, plan an overnight, choose fuel stops and more with the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Airport Directory included on GPSMAP 495. It offers detailed information for over 850 Australian and Pacific airports. It includes the names and phone numbers of FBOs, plus ground transportation, lodging, restaurants, local attractions and more.

Receive Altitude-Sensitive Alerts

When in the air, Garmin’s Smart Airspace feature makes it easier than ever to identify what airspace lies ahead. Smart Airspace automatically highlights airspace close to your current altitude and de-emphasizes airspace well above or below your altitude, which gives you increased situational awareness.

Enhance Situational Awareness

GPSMAP 495 features a built-in Jeppesen database and a Pacific terrain database. It also includes an obstacles database for the U.S. or Europe. Using this information, the 495 displays your flight route over contour terrain mapping. The higher-resolution terrain database includes over ten times as much data as the 296’s for even more visual reference. With information from the terrain and obstacles databases, the 495 monitors your current position in relation to surrounding terrain to provide alerts. Even customize your own minimum clearance levels to receive terrain cautions. The addition of private airports and heliports to the database provides even more navigation and emergency "nearest" options. Add a Garmin Mode S transponder, and the 495 will display TIS traffic alerts that identify surrounding air traffic.