Fathers Day was good to me

Bubbleboy

Ian....Fathers Day was good to me! My good wife really excelled and I got the Saitek Joystick and FSX today. She had already ordered the joy stick before they were available in Clear Prop....bugger!! Still dreaming of a set of those pedals though. Im loving the joystick! FSX is nice. I recently bought a new PC with a Quad core 2 processor so I have set the graphics to the best and it runs it well. Just a little bit of screen freeze (is that what you call it?). Just need to work out which setting to adjust to smooth it up a fraction.

Scotty :big_grin:

Scotty

Go to "Device Manager" and expand by clicking on the + sign of the "Display Adaptor" and see what it says there.

Running your sim with all sliders up full will tax your PC a lot especially if you want to have realistic 3rd party sceneries and proper traffic which is why you are possibly getting that freeze.

I will have a look at my video card settings tomorrow and see what we could try with your video card

Your system sounds pretty good Scotty - except the video card.

They were low end when they came out 12 months ago, and they now go for $60.

The good news is that your computer has the right slot to upgrade to a better card. The best value for money at the moment IMHO is the Radeon HD4870. I have been researching and that's what I bought yesterday. It's about $330-$350.

You can go any amount up to that (and well over - eg. you can get 2 of them on the same card for about $650) and it will vastly improve you FSX experience.

I built myself a new system yesterday and it rocks. Time to flight sim again.

Cheers,

Ross

Hi Ross.....hhhmmmm, when I bought the computer a few months ago, The salesman said it was fitted with an upgraded card. Apparently it was custom built for a customer then the order canceled. There is a seperate graphics card the monitor plugs in to in the bottom of the back of the tower (sorry not a PC whizz). It seems the one that came with the PC originally is now redundant? so would that be the one that comes up under device manager?

Scotty

Yep. The 2400 plugs into the PCI-E slot. If the monitor cable leads to the expansion slot in the back, then that's what its using. Windows reports it as the 2400. Get a PC literate friend to come around and check, but it sounds like he took the good card out and used it himself - although it probably was a step up from the onboard video if there was any. The 2400 is pretty ordinary.

No "screen freeze". If you have the graphics set to best already and it nearly runs great, you probably don't need much better. I'm surprised really.

I don't have FSX, but I thought it was graphics hungry. That's one reason I upgraded - I'm going to get FSX today (I can only find FS 2002, but I have 2004 somewhere) and desk fly until I finish fixing the Cheetah.

A better card will display bigger, faster and smoother graphics.

Ross...you are right, I am being picky but that is me...lol 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

It runs almost perfect, good enough anyway. That is the only thing I can fault so far. Other than when flying the Trike, the control inputs are the same direction as a 3 axis. As you know, Trike inputs are the opposite. This may just be a matter of playing with the settings or turning the joystick up side down 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Scotty