R/C Aircraft

BLA82

Some very nice machines you blokes have! My hangar has been expanding and decreasing for the past few months, as it stands right now I have a Phoenix Classic with a 46AX in it, Excelleron with a 55AX in it, profile foam Edge 540 that I use to 3d in the house, and an unbuilt Yak 54 electric which I am trying to sell!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do I start...

Aeroflyte Appolllo (trainer)

World Models 40 trainer

Astro Hog

Midwest Hots 40

QB monster 60 (launched glider for old mitsubishi commercial)

Ugly Stick

Butterfly

Skyburner d/f (designed and kitted by my mate steve mee of oldtimer aircraft)

Numerous fast slope soarers

4m DG glider

Raptor 39

Mustang 46

Ag wagon 45

World Models Spitfire 120

Raptor 46 (Fixed wing)

Twister EP

2.5m ASW

Bell Twister EP

But to put it bluntly, you aint an RC pilot until you've flown an astro hog. This plane is one of the best designed planes I have ever flown. Tail slides 30ft above the ground and inverted low passes dragging the tail in the greass. I even touched and goed (pardon the pun) in about three seconds knowing that you can punch this plane with full throws on all three axis without any nasty snap rolls.

As for just all out awesome back to basics flying, I would say the spitfire 120 with a supercharged saito 120 was simply superb.

Great to see an RC following on here! :)

Guest sceadu52jr

Bell 47 went in!

Thanks for the comment Cralis, unfortunately, I decked the Bell last weekend :faint:I was evaluating a Heli Command Autopilot System that was on loan to me. I had fitted it to my Trex 450 Electric and it worked so good I just had to try it on the Bell 47 Gasser. I never got to try it as I was flying around with it turned off and during a torque turn I lost all control response! The cause appeared to be vibration causing the Heli Command output plug to come of the socket pins. This meant no servos were connected through to the receiver! 7Kg hitting the ground at high G's made the ground shake 50 m away in the pits according to the boys!

It is repairable though, so I will have it back in the air again.

Wayne

Guest Cralis

Aw man, Wayne.

Sorry to hear about that! That's a real shame... You going to get it back to working order soon? Would be a shame t see it sitting in the garage too long, in bad shape..

I got my first flight in today on my EP550 since I last flew 5 weeks back! Nearly had an incident. When I landed and was about to pull out the battery, I noticed the dean connector was about 80% disconnected already! Must have vibrated out, or I never connected it well... Damn.. close shave. I don't fly with an RX pack, so all my power is off the flight packs... :)

Guest sceadu52jr
Aw man, Wayne.Sorry to hear about that! That's a real shame... You going to get it back to working order soon? Would be a shame t see it sitting in the garage too long, in bad shape..

:)

It's already pulled down to repair and the boom repair is almost complete.

Wayne

• 5 weeks later...

Help with Electrics

Hi all,

In my electric collection I have a Thundertiger BiPlane shock flyer, a foamie seaplane and a Built up Yak 54. It has a wingspan of approx 700mm, it is extremely light. I havent flown any of these as I have stuck to my nitro stuff. The thunder tiger is finished all but battery, it has a park 380 in runner brushless with a gearbox and a 25amp speed controler QUESTION 1=what battery size should I use considering its's a 3d profile so size is critical. Second The seaplane is complete all bar the servos it runs a outrunner brushless QUESTION 2=What battery size should I use, Size isn't so important with this but I would like to get a bit of duration with this one. Finally my Yak is still in the box. What size outrunner,battery and Speedcontroller should I use. I would like this one set up with enough grunt to hang of the prop etc like my gas planes.

Sorry for all the questions but I am useless when it comes to Electrics.025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Cheers,

I have just confused myself with all thats out there. I wasn't going to get into electrics but the neighbours don't like a nitro os 90 zooming around the park at 11,000rpm don't know why:laugh:

Where abouts do you fly? I'm not a member of any clubs, so usually look for fields. But due to lack of people flying, it gets boring. I reckon a 'nomads' type flying 'club' would be good. Maybe 5 or 6 people, and each weekend, we find a new field to take on and fly about.

I'm leaning more towards fixed wing now, due to the less painful costs. I just got a Slow Stick and loving it! A nomad, electric plane club would be good fun. Just not sure where to start.

I used to be a member of LARCS at loganholme. There is also a club at Pine Rivers, Gold Coast and Tingalpa. The problem with flying in parks is the risk. We all do it but have to be carefull. A incident happened in a park at Chandler last year were a 16 yr old and his father were flying two RC electrics when the father lost it. It hit a lady walking a dog and she successfully sued for $55,000. When in a club the membership covers insurance aswell. BUT, flying electrics in a park is a hell of alot cheaper and more accessable so if the park is empty go for it. There is a great park at Cannon Hill on Wynnum Road just down from the shops. The secret is there use a 2.4ghz radio as tingalpa RC Plane club is only about 2 kms away and most new radios have tripple that in range.

• 1 month later...

I have been flying R/C since i was 3.i am a VMAA Gold Wings Instructor

I have the following.

Cavilier old timer

R 50 heli

JR Ergo 30

F-86 Sabre D/F

Facet 1200 trubine model

TJT 3000 turbine (waiting for a model)

14MZH Radio

2 other older radio units

a hand full of kits engines parts ect.

sold 3 90 sized helis 4 fixed wings and a heap of bits and pieces to fund my Raa Flying habbit.

Its to much at one stage i had over $50,000 of models (could have had a J120 :( )

Guest coaltrain

Hey BLA82 and Cralis, you guys don't know of any parks north side that are ok to fly in the Brendale/Strathpine/Albany Ck area? I have a funzone supercub that needs to taste the air. I'm not into having to go through the rigmarole and expense of joining a club just yet, if at all. pm if that's easier:chuffed:.

Coaltrain,

I am not really sure of much on the northside but there should be plenty of sports ovals around, there is a big shopping centre on the main road just before you get to Nundah. It has a huge sealed area on the south side of it where you see people getting motorbike lessons. I flew a little .15 size warbird in there and there was plenty of room on Sunday afternoons.

Guest coaltrain

THanks BLA82, that'd be Toombul Shopping centre. . .I'll check it out. I think there might be some ok parks up at Strathpine I just havent investigated too closely. The Maiden flight of the Supercub, will also be my maiden flight under power. I did a bit of slope soaring years ago and fly full size sailplanes but I reckon the fewer witnesses to my first attempts the better. Lets just hope the cubby is up to the punishment.

O.K., guys, I'm sorry to be the one to bring up this 'ol chesnut, but what is the learning curve like for r/c helicopters (besides hard.....)

I have an electrafun like most beginners, but have more real flight time that R/C time.

Is it reasonable to think I could buy something like a T-rex with training undercarriage persevere to some kind of competence?

Seb,

I personally believe that RC Helis are alot harder but thats just me. The T-Rex is an unreal helicopter but after flying one I wouldn't say they are the best to learn on for the simple reason parts are not cheap. Their are other great kits to start with like the Blade Ian mentioned in his thread aswell as the twister 3D which fly very well and parts are cheap expecially rotor blades. But it is like most things if ya wanna fly them just persist

Thanks for that - I thought I'd start easy and grabbed an electra fun about 18 mths ago which was a hoot and easy to fly, made easier with a little real size piloting knowledge (I think anyway....), but I am still drooling about nabbing a cheap chopper on ebay.

Any of the Walkera's O.K or can you suggest the best of the cheapy's perhaps?

Guidance is appreciated!

Walkera's are fine but parts are not as easy to find in stores as others are. For the price I would reccomend a Blade. Nearly every shop stocks parts, they are cheap and are highly upgradeable as you progress. You will be up to the T-Rex before you know it. Search for E-Flite Blade on the net

• 2 weeks later...

You're kidding Adrian aren't you? I mix it with the young bloods on Realflight's Multiplayer and you're nobody unless you're hovering a Yak 54 or barrel rolling helicopters.

RF has the advantage over FSX of an instant restart button so my typical helicopter flight is: Start/crash/restart/crash/restart/crash and so on - they are wild machines!

Hi seb, i am a MAAA heli and Fixed Wing instructor in melbourne. helis are great to learn and a real challenge but as for being hard... NO WAY... the KEY is to have the heli set up correctly this is the biggest hurdle.

Adrian thats a fair call but I honestly believe that as a starting point in the hobby for value for money you can't beat a fixed wing trainer and if helis are your way than a cheap pre built like a twister. I to was a MAAA instructor only on fixed wing and from what I have seen is that when people start on helis first, they outlay a fortune and when it all turns bad they don't have the basic skills of radio set up and rebuilding. Thats the problem with the MAAA and I am not saying its all bad but I couldn't believe when I heard some club instructors actually charged learners for lessons, where did this hobby go

helis are not dear, the only thing people need to know is that hobby shops are out to get money. i often go into hobby shops and ask "how much is a heli" and get the "well you need this that the other" and it will cost $5 Million dollars. you can be in the air in a 50 helli for $1200-$1300 with a DX7 radio and a raptor 50 helicopter of which are a top heli not a low class TOY like the twister (of which are money pits), and all of your starting equipment fuel Etc. i have had people hovering themselves in a day or 2 with no under carriage after 10 odd tanks. as i said you need someone who knows what they are doing not a 2 second know all.

as for wanting a fixed wing as a first aircraft i agree but seb was asking about rotary wing and this will still cost you you will still pay around the $400 for radio, $150-$200 for an arf plank and $150 for a motor $100 for flight box fuel plug Etc so you are looking at $800-$900 for a plank

if you crash the raptor 50 a good prang will set you back around $200 dollars and if you give the plank a decent prang you will need a new airframe this is also around $200.

hellis are cheaper to crash in my opinion but fixed wing slightly more cheaper to set up initially

as for doing barrel rolls in a heli, thats one of the first aero's you learn next to auto's.

i fly 3D with my raptor 50 and have done so in all my helis stratus,r90 Etc.