R/C Aircraft

BLA82

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a low class TOY like the twister (of which are money pits), if you crash the raptor 50 a good prang will set you back around $200 dollars and if you give the plank a decent prang you will need a new airframe this is also around $200.

hellis are cheaper to crash in my opinion but fixed wing slightly more cheaper to set up initially

As far as a twister 3D being a low class toy thats the attitude of the toy stores you say are after money. I have a twister 3D aswell as a T-Rex and to be honest the Twister spends more time in the air as it sits in the back of my car and I fly it nearly every second day. There is not a thing that the Twister won't do that the T-rex does and a crash is no where near $200. As far as pranging a plank and being up for a new airframe, I can name about 6 high quality ARF kits that are about $100-$150. Lets see here ARF kit $150 Radio $400 for a mid range JR that can be used for a Heli aswell. Engine a OS 46 can be picked up for $105 off the net brand new so thats a total of $650 and if you pay $100 for a flight box you shop at the wrong place. A sig flat pack is $45 fuel $18 Glow Plug $4 and hand pump $10.

I really believe that there is a big case of Tall Poppy Syndrome in the world of RC and so many new comers are ripped off and told absolute:censored:. I have one a pattern competition using a low wing trainer and a flogged out 46 that I built in 4 hours and flew the next day after loosing a model the day before, only to have the so called experts leave before the trophy ceremony in a jealous dummy spit.

On a last thought I would like to see a nitro Heli getse up for $650 including a radio you can use with other aircraft and also a sever prang in a heli will nearly always cost more than $200, god a set of decent blades and a tail boom for a T-REX is nearly $300.

Turbo have a look at this link,

YouTube - Twister 3D Helicopter

Nothing special about the flying but it shows a twister 3D flying really well for a so called low quality toy.

i totaly agree if you pay $100 for a flight box you are shopping at the wrong place, if you are after cheap gear, read the post it says $100 for a flight box fuel plug Etc. 4 litres of fuel is around $30-$40(i payed $80 for mine nice fibreglass flight box but hey i wanted it) not to mention you will need some fuel line,plug wrench,spare prop Etc, but hey who is counting, this will add about $15-$20 to cost.

we could sit here all day and rattle off names of great plank ARF's that cost from $100-$200 and you are right you can get them for around the $100 not the $150 blown out of proportion by myself i do Apollogize ;)

seb would obviousely be a baginner and would be using a half decent wood blade the thunder tiger wood blades are great performers and withstand very high head speeds and dont de laminare, they are only $35 odd dollars, boom, $8, belt $18, packet of 3 flybars $ $14, mainshaft $6, spindal $4 1 undercarrage leg $5

you say you pay $300 for blades and a boom for the trex ? is it a 600 or 700 you arre being ripped off. V Blades (carbons) are around the $200 for 600mm and not much more for 710's mark and a boom is max $15.

Cheers, and seb remember you do what you want to do do not be led by myself or anybodyelse into a decission just do what feels right.110_closed.gif.a392821970f4971bbab8b2a27aea78f5.gif

i Cheers, and seb remember you do what you want to do do not be led by myself or anybodyelse into a decission just do what feels right.110_closed.gif.a392821970f4971bbab8b2a27aea78f5.gif

Agreed, all the best Seb, depending on where you are based try and find a local club and join their forums.

Ive seen his several Raptors fly and they seem to me to be a great heli.

The last I heard was that he'd just bought a Raptor 90? ex-manufaturers demo unit unless I got it wrong, and he reckoned it was a mean machine.

I reckon if he'd saved his money, he could have bought himself a Robinson R22 Beta and taken me for a fly as well!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TOSGcentral

40% scale Thruster Glasshouse

Maybe you guys will be interested in this little tale….

Through TOSG I received an enquiry from a guy who wanted to scratch build a R/C scale Thruster Glasshouse (Thruster 84 TPT) and was seeking help.

I sent him a stack of photos, drawings and dimensions from the full size ones that I own and he got going and I am maintaining progress reports in the TOSG Bulletin. The actual model will replicate Adam Holt’s Glasshouse C.

To scale the model to off the shelf tubing it is turning out at 40% scale which gives it a wing span of 151†so it will be a fair sized model.

The detail work is fantastic and coming up real good but will not yet make much impact unless you are familiar with Glasshouse structure. When the build starts taking shape I will post some pics of it.

Aye

Tony

Guest coaltrain

Sounds like a really interesting project! I'll be watching for project reports/photos.

BTW BLA82 how's that Yak going?

Yak Sidelined ATM

The Yak is sidelined. I have a new project ATM lol. I was bought a great planes mini delta for my birthday. They are a foamie pusher prop jet that is only about 40cm long. It comes standard with a little 180 size motor and apparently with a decent NiMh battery flies at a decent pace BUT me being me the 180 has been swaped for a E Flite 4100 inrunner brushless, 20 amp E Flite speed controller and a 900mah 10c 7.4v Lipo. There is a dude on youtube who has done exactly the same and it's doing around 100km/h. Should fly this week end.

Here is the link

YouTube - Mini Delta

Guest coaltrain

That sounds like one real fast little beasty! did you manage to fly ito ver the weekend?

I still havent flown the cub. . . .

• 1 month later...

Hi guys new to RA forum, currently flying out of YRED in the Texan. Been in RC models for most of my 28 years, firstly plains and then Helis.

Hangar includes all the ALIGN helis and my favourote a hirobo KV-107 tandem

Tandem

Guest sessery

Hi,

I've been flying RC for about 4 years now. I don't have a huge list of planes but here is what is going at the moment:

Hyperion Sniper foamy

Precision Aerobatics Bad Boy, OS 46AX

Peak Models Edge 540, 1.8mtr, CRRC Pro 45cc

Wild Hare Sukhoi SU-26, 2.2mtr, DL50 50cc

The Sukhoi is still being built, it actually only needs to be balanced now, then run the motor in.

I don't like the Sniper at all, it just doesn't fly nice.

The Bad Boy is great fun for just throwing around the air low to the ground. I can do a few 3D moves with it but nothing spectacular.

The Edge 540 is great for smooth aerobatics like IMAC.

And the Sukhoi, well I'm hoping that's going to be a good all-rounder for precision aerobatics and 3D.

I bought the Sukhoi to enter into some IMAC competitions. They say you need heaps of practice to be competitive so we'll just have to see how that goes. I can only get down to the field once a week, so practice is pretty much limited.

When it's too windy to fly, a mate and myself head down to the local BMX track with our RC cars, great fun.

Cheers, Scott

Guest sceadu52jr

Welcome to the RA Forum Rhino,

I used to work at HR with Mr3D 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif (C.Pitch stop hammerer! 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif) and Mr smoothie, GavinB 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif.

How's the Tandem go/feel with the new Hirobo Mixer setup? I made and flew a 4 Blade head years back on a MA Excel, it needed to be flown constantly and would pitch up as you slowed toward a hover!

Wayne

• 6 months later...
i have a electric PC9 and Texanhave heaps of diffrent parts if anyone need some stuff :rotary:

I pranged my nephews 46 powered Thunder Tiger PC9 a couple of years ago while on holiday in the UK.

He keeps asking whether i've written my Will, showing him any favours since.:ah_oh: can't thing why.

I'm the very proud owner of a Superfly, fibreglass fuse trainer, which I bought out from the UK 32yrs ago. Unfortunately I cart-wheeled it across a paddock into an unsuspecting Freesian cow who was due to give birth, and 30yrs later I have still only managed to re-cover half of the wing.

If you have a spare wing and a better driver, i'd be very grateful.

Kind regards

Planey

I'm a great believer, that the old saying "A slow job, takes a long time", may have an element of truth in it"

But being a busy man, thats progress:question:

Guest M_I_T_C_H
I pranged my nephews 46 powered Thunder Tiger PC9 a couple of years ago while on holiday in the UK. He keeps asking whether i've written my Will, showing him any favours since.:ah_oh: can't thing why.

I'm the very proud owner of a Superfly, fibreglass fuse trainer, which I bought out from the UK 32yrs ago. Unfortunately I cart-wheeled it across a paddock into an unsuspecting Freesian cow who was due to give birth, and 30yrs later I have still only managed to re-cover half of the wing.

If you have a spare wing and a better driver, i'd be very grateful.

Kind regards

Planey

I'm a great believer, that the old saying "A slow job, takes a long time", may have an element of truth in it"

But being a busy man, thats progress:question:

oh ok unlucky, don't have a wing but i would have a good engine but its electric?