To do my PPL or not..

Guest Cralis

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm.. Not quite the response I thought I'd get to that question... Everyone's hammering on the 'Recreational' and 'Have fun' theme. I mention having work drinks after work, and I get 'Wind up', 'Top performance' and 'waisting money' clauses in the answers. I think it was a perfectly valid question.

Obviously I don't want to waist money. Obviously I don't want to do anything wrong. It's our monthly meeting at work. I'm not a heavy drinker at all. But on this night, I may have 3 or 4 beers. The answer I got from the Q - well, I'd obey the advice.

Bendron's answer was what I was hoping to hear. No need to judge when someone mentions a drink. :black_eye:

Just in case the Q wasn't a wind up - 8 hours is the absolute minimum. The permitted alcohol level for for pilots is zero. Personally I would have thought you wanted to be on top performance for your lesson unless you enjoy wasting money. And if you are obviously the worse for wear when you turned up to fly, I would expect the school to knock you back & charge you for the wasted slot.

Cheers (or perhaps not)

John

Ditto I agree:thumb_up:... It's no use turning up and you can't think straight:loopy:

G'day Cralis,

Physiologically, if you have 4 standard drinks between 18:00 and 20:00 they will all be gone by 23:00 and your not going flying for almost 12 hours after that.

I think the problem cralis, is that history has shown a bit of a laps in the old self control for some with regard to flying ops and alcohol. We just want to make sure we send you off with the right attitude. Flying and drinking don't mix. More so than driving and boating etc. They really don't mix... at all. Enjoy a beer or 3 but have in the back of your mind that you need to be extremely alert for that TIF.

Different training aircraft

I have only just read this thread regarding ppl or not, different training aircraft etc.

My experience has been that I thought I would go through to ppl and maybe beyond. It was suggested that for reasons of cost it was best to start in the Jab J160, get the RA certificate and go on to GA. What happened in practice was, I started in the Jab, changed to the Tecnam Echo and finished in a CSU Retract Pioneer. I found the time in the Jab the most challenging as we often had gusting cross winds which meant that you must constantly make control inputs to keep on track especially on late final. The Echo was a delight to fly. It is a very stable aircraft and very forgiving. Where the Jab required lots of rudder input the Tecnam required minimal rudder. As my training was nearing completion my wife (already ppl) and I decided that we would purchase our own aircraft and RA seemed the way to go. I will probably never go on to ppl as RA offers just about all we would want, especially once the controlled airspace endorsement comes through. In the meantime take a look at some of the beautiful aircraft around, in particular the Sierra 2002, Sportstar, Texan, Dynamic, Pioneer etc. Life's just great in RA! :thumb_up:

Yep I've been following this thread for a while with a keen interest on commencing flight training, I'm the same age as Cralis.

You guys have just about sold me on the RAA route. My question now is- Is there any RAA schools @ YSBK or will I have to trek out to camden or the Oaks? No big deal but would prefer bankstown as I live in the Sutherland Shire.

Guest basscheffers
Right, so RAA doesn't allow you to land at a GAAP aerodrome (at the moment)?

Only with CASA exemption for a specific operator at a specific aerodrome. There are only a few, one of them being Forsyth Aviation at Parafield, where I do my training.

I think the problem cralis, is that history has shown a bit of a laps in the old self control for some with regard to flying ops and alcohol. We just want to make sure we send you off with the right attitude. Flying and drinking don't mix. More so than driving and boating etc. They really don't mix... at all. Enjoy a beer or 3 but have in the back of your mind that you need to be extremely alert for that TIF.

Thanks Antz...

I ended up having 2... both lites, and boring my project manager with chat about planes and stuff.. :) So, all set for tomorrow in the Tecnam! :)

I won't be abusing rules... I'm more committed then some may think. Just loads of (what some times may seem like thick) questions.

I'm buzzing already for tomorrow. :)

Really????

Only with CASA exemption for a specific operator at a specific aerodrome. There are only a few, one of them being Forsyth Aviation at Parafield, where I do my training.

Can I fly my Jabby LSA55 into Parafield????!!!

Guest basscheffers

I don't think so. This is the exemption and it is specific to "a student or pilot under the control of Forsyth Aviation". Unless they are willing to cooperate and somehow manage to convince CASA (if questioned) that indeed you are under their control when flying in, you can't do it.

So you can train there and hire-and-fly their aircraft. Or maybe even make some other deal to keep your plane there with Forsyth as it does say the pilot should be under control of them, the aircraft is irrelevant. (other than a few technical and maintenance requirements)

You can always give David Forsyth a call; maybe after a check ride with them, they might be able to help.

Bas.

At this stage in your case, only with a PPL. That would be it, UNLESS during daylight savings next week you go in there when the tower is closed and it becomes a CTAF®.

Aw, it was great! I got more of a bite this time. I went in the Tecnam Echo with proSky. We took off and headed east towards the waters. The instructor was much more interested in me this time. He told me what was going on the whole time, what he was looking for, what to listen for... I never got to taxi, but that was fine as he was talking a lot. I now understand the startup procedure a lot more.. watching temps, pressure... rpm. Really interesting.

The Tecnam I was in was a lore more basic inside than the J170. No GPS in the one... no arificial horiezen.. dials seemed to bounce around a lot more.. so seemed much more basic. That was a dissapointing factor, but.. I just want to learn, so I got over it.

We took off through a flock of Ibis! That was scarey to me, but seemed OK to the pilot. They were above and below us, flying across our path to the left.

Trimmed out at around 2,500' I think. He explained where controlled airspace is.. where Recliff was (As they share the freq). Really much more informative.

Once straight and level, he asked me to stop him if I knew stufgf, but I prefered to let him go on. Went through what the stick does (Between the legs, as opposed to between the two people, which I prefered), what the feet do, and what the throttle does. He first let me control the elevator and hear what happens to the engine, speed and altitude. All the basics... but this was more than I had been able to do on the previous TIF. Then ailerons... and then rudder. I was suprised at the difference between the Jabs rudder and the Tecnam.

I have a querstion though. When he demonstrated the rudder, causing a slight slide... I felt it quite strongly. But when I pushed the rudder... I didn't feel the same amount of slide. Maybe I was scared to push too hard again... but it seems a lot less sensitive than the Jab... yet.. it's a bigger surface. question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif Maybe there is a lot more movement in the feet to get the rudder twisting?

Anyways, then he said it's my flight... fly! Wow! He said do some turns. I did.. Amazing. Quite shocked at the fact that I was putting in some aileron.. getting to maybe a 20* bank... but wasn't feeding much rudder - yet, the turn felt coordinated! :raise_eyebrow: Why was that? The Tecnam seemed like it had 'auto rudder'. It seems rudder input on ther Tecnam isn't as important as the Jab...

He then gave me targets to fly towards. Bribie Island heads... then a river mouth, then back to the field. I failed at finding the strip... It was camoflauged... really hard to spot. He got me to fly over the intercection of the runways - and then he took it in.

He landed perfectly... and wenwent through the taxiing and then the shut down procedures.

What a flight. Really enjoyed it. 0.6 hours to my log book. :)

I'll be going with ProSky, and my first lesson will be in two weeks. I got the books, and have started the BAK. Back to basics, but I've already learnt some new things. So... the TIF wasd GREAT! :thumb_up:

Hi Cralis,

Do you mind shooting me a PM with your email address?

Personally, during training I felt the aircraft move a lot more when the instructor was demonstrating. When I was doing the same thing, I was expecting it so it didn't feel odd at all.

Also, the Echo DOES have a GPS! I promise!