First flight in an RA registered aircraft

IanR

I finally got round to having a flight in an RA registered aircraft - a Jabiru 160 - just half an hour of circuits but enough time to get a feel for it. Now I have done it I may as well finish off the RA certificate so I can fly both ! First impressions were :

• Heaps more room once you sit in it than it looks from the outside (instructor Motzartmerv said he calls them the Tardis !)

• No mixture control

• Digital instrumentation took a bit of getting used to - must admit I used the analogue airspeed the whole time - I am sure it would be second nature after a while though

• Much more solid feel than I had expected

• Awkward control placement - you need at least two right hands (stick, trim, brakes, flaps, etc)

All in all a good fun half hour.

Ian, what sort of dimentions are you? Wide bodies? Heavy? :) Just wondering how a 6' .. slightly rounded (Not over rounded.. let it be known i_dunno) 115kg guy would report the J160.

I am 6'3" and about 105kgs - with a 68KG instructor we had heaps of room for fuel. You would just need to take a bit less ! There was no issue for me in any dimension.

A previous student they had was apparently 125 kg - and they managed to get it within weights