New Pre-Solo Human performance Exam

Guest bigblockford545

haha :-) Fair enough. Well. I had that once so I decided to land. Certainly I can see cloud conditions changing a lot better than wind conditions.

True enough about "how much does ya need ta know ?". Clearly there is a cost/benefit issue here. So far I cannot see that LESS training would be a good thing. Everything I have learned so far seems to be quite basic. The limiting factor with this argument for me is that I take a GA license as the baseline. We should be just as safe as them however we are more flexible. don't want to train/learn controlled airspace procedures? Fine, learn enough to be able to stay away. Don't want to learn navigation? Fine, don't learn it. But if we want each of those things I rekon we should learn it as well as everyone else. Why should we have exactly the same privileges but require less learning? Maybe I am wrong but there it is :-) The key for me is the endorsments, learn more, get more freedom.

As for my quoted comment. When I started doing my cross-winds 2 weeks ago the plane was in 17 knot gusting to 29 knot winds. I said to the instructor that I was happy about it because while it was a b*tch it meant I had the experience while he was with me. I sure would hate to get caught out by it if I only had steady conditions training! I am a bit of a chicken though. :-)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far out brentc. What do you do!?

I don't know about other fields but work related certifications in computer programming is a crock. At the pointy end it doesn't seem to matter at all whether someone is self taught or has a diploma. I need to give candidates a coding test to sort out who actually has any idea.

Over the limit.

THx1137, those conditions as far as I am concerned are over the limit for the aircraft we fly. The gusting factor is a problem and I would doubt if you could taxi safely either.

The judgement for a landing starts with the decision as to whether you do it AT ALL on the occasion. There is no harm doing an approach, carrying a bit of extra speed and power to test the conditions and see how much control you would have to get the wing down and keep straight. There are generally other options, like going somewhere else where you can land into wind.

When you are flight planning and the FORECAST wind is over the "book" limit, you carry an alternate aerodrome (extra fuel). The limit for each type takes all the aircrafts handling characteristics into consideration, and assumes that the pilot is fully trained and current, and uses all the correct techniques... I would never oppose getting trained right up to the point where you are very competent in this area, but I doubt that you would have the experience under your belt early in your training. To be able to execute a very controlled recovery from a situation near the ground and perform a well controlled go-around completely safely is a pre-requisite. Nev

Guest basscheffers
THx1137, those conditions as far as I am concerned are over the limit for the aircraft we fly. The gusting factor is a problem and I would doubt if you could taxi safely either.

Well, he did say wind in general, not the x-wind component!

How much would you say is too much in general? According to the flight manual, the Sportstar is usable up to 24 kts and max demonstrated x-wind is 10 kts. Although my instructor tells me that an experienced pilot won't have too many issues up to even 20. (No, once I am cut loose, I am not going to try...)

Dunno.

The way I read it HE was doing cross-winds and the wind was bla.. bla. IF I had to give a figure, it would HAVE to be the one stipulated in the book. I would be silly to recommend otherwise. Pilots are very varied in their capabilities and should adjust the conditions that they fly in to take this into account. Some should perhaps not fly to the published limit even, (if they don't feel confident). Others regularly fly over the book crosswind figure. There is a situation) X-wind) where the controls of the aircraft just do not have enough authority to ensure positive control.

Having said this, there is always the possibility of a "dust devil/ willy willy" type of occurrence and a lookout should be kept for the signs of these, as there is no guarantee that anyone is good enough to cope with them.. It might just be beyound the control& Power capability of the aeroplane. Nev..

It didn't seem to be a problem with the sportstar. The crosswind conditions were close to max-demonstrated but not over.

I found the approaches hard because I kept being too high. It was interesting to see what a good gust can do. Near the ground, say a couple of hundred feet the gusting didn't seem noticable which seems par for the course there. It is nearly always a bumpy ride down but it seems to invariably smooth out near the ground.

Steven.

Well, he did say wind in general, not the x-wind component!How much would you say is too much in general? According to the flight manual, the Sportstar is usable up to 24 kts and max demonstrated x-wind is 10 kts. Although my instructor tells me that an experienced pilot won't have too many issues up to even 20. (No, once I am cut loose, I am not going to try...)

I was saying the winds as reported by the closest weather station. I have only just started checking the aerodrome weather panel myself as of last week.

The numbers seem to vary a little. One document has a single figure of 10 knots but the Evektor site has this:

21 knots (demonstrated)

14 kts (experienced)

11 knots (novice)

Steven.

Near the ground.

Wind does generally drop off near the ground, but don't count on it being smooth. (especially If there are buildings/trees upwind). If you are landing crosswind the headwind component may be quite light so you can end up being high on approach, if you don't allow for this. It is also a good idea to use some power to have more control in gusty conditions, which can require you to approach at a shallower angle.. Nev..

Guest basscheffers
The numbers seem to vary a little. One document has a single figure of 10 knots but the Evektor site has this:

Yeah, it seems hard to pin down - which makes sense for something that depends so much on pilot ability. Do keep in mind that there are various version of the Sportstar and the Evektor site will likely only feature those for the version they are currently selling.

I got my figures from my instructor and it is also in this version of the flight manual.

What about us homebuilt pilots? We start with a blank (ish) book.

So do we just keep trying harder until something breaks? Or take a safe path and never know. But what if you have an option to land in a 17kt x-wind or go somewhere else? I know the Cheetah can handle a lot more because I have done it. (On a sparsely tree lined strip, she earned her oats that day :)

It comes back to what HPD said: Where do we stop?

All knowledge leads to safety. If you had a medical degree, you would be a safer pilot with HF. A computing degree might save your life if your GPS played up and you han't been paying attention to the flight plan.

Mechanical experience, aerodynamics degree, ad infinitum..... (even latin helps :)

So where do we stop?

I think you pick your point and I'll pick mine, and we'll meet in our next life and compare results....keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

All knowledge leads to safety. If you had a medical degree, you would be a safer pilot with HF. A computing degree might save your life if your GPS played up and you han't been paying attention to the flight plan.

Mechanical experience, aerodynamics degree, ad infinitum..... (even latin helps :)

So where do we stop?

I think you pick your point and I'll pick mine, and we'll meet in our next life and compare results....keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Every Guy out there who holds an RAA pilot certificate was supposed to demonstrate, to an examiner, that they were competent and deserved to be pilot in comand before the certificate was issued.

In my opinion,the thing we all must understand is that passing an exam,especialy multi choice,simply means, that the answers to the questions were known,it doesn`t mean we have a better or safer pilot.

Most of the accidents that occur,occur as a result of the decisions made by the pilot at the time and all the knowledge in the world will not compensate for poor and incorrect decisions.

So where do we stop,indeed?.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif