Icom A-200 radio

bushcaddy105

I just pulled one out, was starting to distort and volume was playing up. It had done around 7000 hours and it's the first trouble I've had with it. I have had a bit to do with them, that's the first trouble I've heard of with them, what's the installation like?

Guest Fred Bear

I've used on for many a hundred hours and have never had a problem and I've never heard of anyone I know having problems with them. There's also a TSO'ed model based on the same unit, so if it's TSO'ed you can assume that it's of a good thoroughbread. They are certainly simple which is handy as there is less to go wrong and no software to worry about like some of the newer models. My only criticism is that the intercom is not voice-activated and is open all the time, however otherwise very powerful in transmit and easy to use.

Guest Fred Bear

True.... and push to talk is great for noisy aircraft that a VOX might not be suitable for. There are other units available such as XCOM that has an intercom built in with VOX. I don't really know of any others with built in intercoms that work well.