YCNK-YTRE Radio advice.

Guest Juliette Lima

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi All,

At the risk of displaying some gaps in my Nav radio transmission awareness, I would appreciate some informed advice on radio protocol flying from YCNK-YTRE along the UL Lane when surrounds are restricted.

We had some very infomative discussion some time back however Cessnock and Maitland CTAF frequencies have changed from 126.7 to 122.65.

My query relates to appropriate frequencies entering, during, and departing the UL Lane.....I presume entering from the Maitland end would be 122.65 and soon after 126.7 ???

Look forward to correct procedures.

Thanks in advance.

JL

Hi JL,

Me too, I'd like to know for certain.

I plan to track that route southbound next Friday. Apart from 126.7 near YGCR I can only see that the area freq 120.55 is the go until nearing Maitland then broadcast an advisory on 122.65 and then off into the Newcastle CTAF area with 132.1. From my scan of the YWLM data in the ERSA I don't see any particular freq to use entering/during/leaving the GA lane. To err on the side of caution I'm inclined to give a position call on the area freq when entering and leaving the lane and probably another midway at Dungog when transitioning from 1500 to 1000.

If I have this wrong can someone who knows put me right, please?

Paul

PS A word of caution ... anyone tracking this lane during Oct 24, 25, 26 be advised that there is a planned fly-in happening at Gloucester so traffic will be more than usual.

Hi Guys,

I'll have a similar issue today travelling the coastal route from Nobby's to Sugarloaf Point. Looks like I'll be on YMND CTAF, then around Beresfield 132.1 until I get to Willy CTAF airspace and then BN CEN up the coast. Should be a fun and scenic trip. I'll have to keep a keen eye out for other traffic, I imagine it's a fairly busy route.

Sorry I don't have a difinitive answer for you both but I see Paul that we're thinking along the same lines.

Numptie

I've been studying both of those routes recently and the VTC says that on the coastal route you need the "Willy Clearance Delivery" on 130.35 both ways.

On the inland route I can't see anything in the VTC or ERSA that contradicts what JL has deduced.

But if anyone knows otherwise, let's hear it.

Geoff

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Paul,Captain,Numptie,

Thanks for your replies....Have spoken to someone who flies regularly to Taree and beyond and he advises (as has been suggested here)....monitor Williamtown... advise Gloucester..... East of railway heading North.... West of railway heading South and necessary advisories fo Maitland and Taree.

Thank you and cheers

JL

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Paul,

Doubt that I could assume anything in respect of what others are doing.

As Previously stated, I was informed advisory calls in the transit lane were not a requirement.....further,to monitor Williamtown during restricted times for the adjoining restricted areas.....monitor/communicate nearing Gloucester as you have suggested....advise Maitland leaving the lane South, and communicate with Taree CTAF when necessary.

Sorry I can't provide any further info.....which is perhaps why I requested responses here.

Cheers

JL

Taree and Port Macquarie are both on 118.1 and the coastal route is quite heavily used, so I always make advisory calls on this frequency. Dick Smith considers Taree "the most dangerous airport in Australia", so keep a listening watch. You will also overfly Old Bar which gets a bit of use on weekends.

The VFR lane is great fun, but if there is a westerly it can get very rough. If Williamtown is deactivated, the coastal route is much safer in these conditions.