First solo yesterday afternoon

That's awesome to hear, good on-ya Rage83:thumb_up::thumb_up:

How long have you been training for now?

I'm gonna try and get my ticket there in Dalby, with Smokey' some time I hope!! (maybe in Bretts J120 though, Dad's not real keen on the Drifters)

Cheers,

Tom

Congratulations! :thumb_up:

It is pretty sweet isn't it and it certainly feels different not to have to try and look around your instructors head when looking around :-)

I did my first solo about 3 flight hours ago, did you have the same look of shock and a little horror on your face like I did I wonder? :-)

Should I say it?... I was actually more nervous the next flight _after_ the solo and didn't fly as well as I did pre-solo. The lesson after that was back to normal though so if you end up feeling the same, don't sweat it and just do what you know how to do!

Yeah well I had a crack at learning to fly back when i was 14 i think it was when i started and im nearly 25 now. I been in the drifter for a couple of months now. Including my time in tomahawke when i was younger I have 30 hrs but 15 of them was in the tomahawke 10 years ago.

Mate forget ya parents go the drifter.

Flyin Drifters

Yeah Rage83, I did all my initial training and my first solo in a Drifter February this year. It was great, my intructor often said that if he had his way everyone would do 15hrs in a Drifter first to really learn all the basic stick and rudder flying.

Currently I'm flying the schools Tecnams out at Gatton and Caboolture once a fortnight purely for fun but after xmas I plan to go back for some more training in the Drifter to work on some other endorsements, mainly low level and formation flying.

Anyways, enjoy your time in the Drifter, I know I did.:thumb_up:

Cheers

JimG

Haha, I believe it used to be tradition for the instructor to cut the back of the student's shirt upon their solo.

From wiki:

"In aviation lore, the traditional removal of a new pilot's shirt tail is a sign of the instructor's new confidence in his student. In the days of tandem trainers, the instructor would tug at the students shirt tail whenever he was getting himself into trouble. After the first solo, the new pilot is competent in the air does not need such a safety device."

I'm not sure how often this tradition is carried out these days :D

Mate forget ya parents go the drifter.

Ah yeah, but I don't think I will use the forget bit....rather persuasion, or convince....i_dunno

What's the chances of you doing a cross country today?... reason I ask is because Bob Keen's litt'l drifter went directly over head our house today at about 1645hr.... and where at Cecil Plains....! Beaut day for it that's for sure:thumb_up:

Cheers,

From wiki:

"In aviation lore, the traditional removal of a new pilot's shirt tail is a sign of the instructor's new confidence in his student. In the days of tandem trainers, the instructor would tug at the students shirt tail whenever he was getting himself into trouble. After the first solo, the new pilot is competent in the air does not need such a safety device."

Yeah nah shirt was still intact

What's the chances of you doing a cross country today?... reason I ask is because Bob Keen's litt'l drifter went directly over head our house today at about 1645hr.... and where at Cecil Plains

No cross country's for me yet. Unfortunately as i am leaving Dalby I probably wont get my cross country endorsment before I leave. The way work is putting me on call lately too im not sure I will even get the time to get all my solo hrs up for the licence. But heres hopin.

(maybe in Bretts J120 though, Dad's not real keen on the Drifters)

Tom

Tomo, forget the persuasion gaffa tape and zip ties and a backseat ride will cure all, spare a thought for me, I am learning weightshift in an airborne trike and my Dad flies 747's for Qantas, lets just say he is very sceptical lol