Nowra airshow

Guest airsick

Great report guys and shame we missed it...although we had a great trip to Goolwa for the Antique Aeroplane Association of Australia Auster Rally...trip report will get done in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the CT4 pics, A19-077 is the RAAF Museum's aircraft and the very dark blue CT4/F is Raytheon's full glass cockpit & 300HP machine...drool

Would love to have me a PC9! They're expected to be retired around 2010-2012 but unlikely to go to public sale like the CT4/Winjeel etc...bit of a shame but from sources they have some issues with corrosion. Reckon they'd be a hoot! For anyone interested, the PC9's little brother the PC7 are publicly available in the US/Europe pretty regularly...and a definite contender for the shopping list!

Tom, the climb rate is about 13000 ft/min.. hehe, a bit quicker then the gazelle..and a hell of a lot quicker then the jab...

While 13000 ft/min sounds good, the actual climb rate of a Hornet is initially somewhere around 60,000' ft/min

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest airsick

My brother was drooling over the CT4s as well. He went through Point Cook with them before going on to the Macchis at Pearce. We were both impressed with the 4F on show.

Hi,

Just got a call from Nowra, the young boy injured by the flying stones and stuff only has brused eyes and eye lids. The swollen eye lids were the reason he could not see.

He is out of hospital and home.

bob.

Guest airsick

It could have been a lot worse. Very poor display of airmanship.

That said, it is good to hear that the kid is alright. Hopefully he will still be fascinated with planes in the years to come. Pip should take him flying...

lol..don't wish that on the poor little fulla..mabye in a non aero rated cessna or something.. was cool how PIP talked al the way through his display.. pullin huge G and still babbling.. good stuff, pitty he didnt remember to say "clear prop"..

Yeah he is pretty amazing how he can do that through all the G's, first time I saw him was at the Amberly air show... some one said that doing full time low level aero's for 15mins is like an hour and a half full on training session at a gym...!!

Even if Pip did call clear prop, regretably, I doubt if the kid that got foreign object injury to his eyes would have taken any notice (just like the people who put their chairs behind a participating air display aircraft), we have had people put their heads into the thrust stream of jet engines after start up at shows around the place, walk past a refuelling aircraft talking on a mobile and smoking a cigerette, changing baby's dirty nappies on tail planes etc and when challenged get abused for the trouble. organisers at some of these events really work hard at trying to keep everything assessable (like the good old days before public liability etc) whilst not compromising safety. I am also amazed at attitudes of some pilots who think that keeping people safe around their aircraft is someone elses responsibility when they fly in to an event. In the main though most people (pilots and non flyers alike) do the right thing and gives us the encouragement to do it all again.;)

yes, and don't you think part of pilots keeping things safe would be to make sure ppl aren't sitting behind your acft when starting up. Clear prop isn't just meant to alert passers bye, its sapposed to give the pilot prompt to check that the prop is infact clear, that includes behind it..

Of Course, I was not at Nowra so can't say one way or another, but would like to get Pip's slant on what actually happened...did he rely on marshalls to clear his way? Was there a public address system describing what was happening prior to engine start? Low level acros takes a fair bit of concentration and Pip would have been really into his routine, would have checked around his aircraft prior to start, and then again, he may have called "Clear" but you didn't hear it!!:big_grin:

Yea, id like to hear his side of the story aswell.. I'll explain exactly what i saw and you can make up your own mind.. PIP had done his demonstration, a few hours earlier.. He parked his acft right against the barrier (which was a peice of string).. the barrier was 5 or 6 deep with people, and at least 150 meters long.. i was with the gazelle all day, about 20 yards behind pips acft.. so there was a small gap between the people and my acft..I didn't notice pip get in his plane, because i couldnt see it for people... The first i knew about it was when his engine roared into life, i looked over and saw people, chairs, rubbish, dust blankets, prams, going evrywhere.. He immediatly taxied and was gone.. he was leaving the show i believe, we never saw him again.. so yes, he may have said clear prop and i didnt hear it.. but concerntrating on his show wasnt a factor as he'd already done it hours ago.

Pip would be horrified if anything he did or didn't do had such consequences.

I just spoke to him on the phone and he said that he always starts after turning his aeroplane side-on to the crowd line and did so at Nowra.

Motzartmerv, was it really Pip or some-one else in a similar aeroplane?

The white edge i think it was, rego Papa India Papa. It was his acft... and i can assure you, it was NOT turned before starting.. weather it was PIP operating it.. who could know, does he let other people taxi, or fly his acft??

Guest airsick

If we are to take anything away from this at all it is a simple airmanship thing. Regardless of what did or didn't happen and who did or didn't do it we should all be aware of anyone in the vicinity of the aircraft when we start. It isn't a matter of being clear of the prop so they don't get struck by it but rather, as Motz said, being aware of what is behind the prop as well. The simple action of turning the aircraft such that the prop wash goes away from people, other aircraft or anything that might be affected is not hard given what we fly. Even larger GA aircraft are not that hard to move.

As others have said, aside from this incident the day was good. :)

Thanks motzartmerv, my apologies, you were right. Just spoke to Pip again briefly, who in the meantime must've doubted his own recollection as he phoned his colleague about the incident. That person had tried to alert him at the time. I won't make any excuses for him, he shouldn't have done it. If you knew Pip you'd understand how sincere he is wrt regrets.

Perhaps more later.

No problems.. You don't get to where pip is by having poor airmenship..perhaps a momentary lapse of concerntration.. i couldn't even begin to imagine what a toll on the body and mind his style of flying would take..

his show was simply spectacular...

Guest Pip Borrman

Hi Guys, I had an email from one of your members, and I was very distressed to hear that a child was injured on my startup departure from the Airshow.I am very embarassed about it.If it is possible can anyone supply me with the kids parents details as I would very much apreciate being able to speak to them.Regards Pip Borrman

Hi Pip,

The boy from what I was told went to the St.john Ambulance guys there at the air show and did go to the hospital for checks. however due to our current medical/ first aid privacy laws I am unable to get that information also as I am a senior member of St.John i would not put pressure on the St.John people to brake confidentiality however if the family did see one of the organisers then that is the only way of getting his name and address. I know not much help, sorry.

Bob.

Guest airsick

Is it possible to go the other way? Perhaps someone could pass on Pips details to the family? (Assuming Pip is happy to do this of course) Would that still be a breach?

Hi,

The only way would be through the organisers of the event if his family contacted them, they were distressed at the time so may not have done that. The St.John people sometimes give the organisors information on injuries at the event maybe they do have his address.

Loved the show, my neck is still sore, ha, ha.

Bob.

G'day Mr. Borrman, and 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif to the Forums....

I saw your display at the Amberley airshow for the first time, you do an incredible job, and I love your ability to perform and talk your way through the display at the same time...011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif

Sorry about all the critical talk about you in this thread, I think I started it actually:sorry:.... where all human and make mistakes, so don't feel to bad about it, It's just a bit of a misfurtune about the little boy that's all.

You could possibly ring the hospital itself and ask about it that way, not sure if they give info out like that or not, worth a try though....if you explain your situation I'm sure they should help, surely...!

Sincerely,

Tom

Hi Tom,

With the privicy laws if Pip rings the hospital and is not a direct relative of the boy(if parents are there they will be asked) then he will get little information at all, maybe the date of discharge if he is lucky.

Bob.