Avalon Air Show

Ewen McPhee

We are thinking of flying down to avalon for the airshow in March next year. Can anyone tell me whats available there as far as accomodation nearby? I assume you can't sleep under your plane :confused:

I have been to the Website AVALON 2009 - AUSTRALIAN INTERNATIONAL AIRSHOW AND AEROSPACE & DEFENCE EXPOSITION - 10-15 March 2009 GEELONG VICTORIA and there are a lot of details there but nothing about accomodation or other arangements

Ewan,

Big Pete is the full bottle here. He has been there done that.

After reading the info on the invitation and talking with Pete it seems they pick you and your gear up from your plane, take you by shuttle bus to a football field in Lara (set up with portable amenities) and run you to and from the Air Show - all gratis.

Lots of other good things for pilots too.

Pete, how about a rundown of the procedures?

Hope this helps.

Mark D

I was about to post about this, i am wanting to fly in to the airshow in a RaAus Reg aircraft ? can this be done. like Ewen i want to fly in instead of driving (more fun) but dont have the foggiest idea on how to go about it ? do you need to lodge a flight plan ?

big pete please post what you know 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

No wuckers Mark (and Adrian) :)

Here's what to do.

Go to: www.airshow.net.au/avalon2009/flying-in/register.asp

You will fit the category of: "a visitor using an aircraft subject to Civil Aviation Order 95.55"

you fill in the details and they will email you with a user name and password so you can complete the registration process.

What you get is:

1. Free tickets for you and 3 crew members for Fri, Sat & Sun. :thumb_up:

2. Free camping for 4 people at the Lara Sports Ground. :thumb_up:

3. Free Shuttle bus to and from the camping area. (runs about every hour) :thumb_up:

What they get - your aircraft on static display. :heart:

You must be there for the 3 days to get the freebies. Plan to arrive Thursday. You can leave late Sunday, (most do) but better to fly out early Monday. The shuttle bus still operates from Lara. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

They set up a grass strip which they still call Avalon Main 18R/36L. Its to the west of the sealed runway (which is 18L/36R). You must have clearance to arrive and land at this trip (covered in an AIRSUP). 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Avalon East is available - you just arrive (Day VFR). :big_grin: (but no freebies - good for a day visit)

Will post more info as needed.

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Avalon East is a temporary GAAP established in a paddock to the east of Avalon for those who want to fly-in to the airshow but not be a part of it. The GAAP zone normally extends to be the eastern half of the Avalon control zone. There is a temporary tower located in the paddock and they operate parallel runway ops (north/south only).

Shuttle busses run to/from from Avalon East to the main gate - this is a free service. There's also a fuel truck if needed and you can leave your aircraft there for mutliple days if you want to.

Remember that those visiting the main Avalon will be stuck there for near 4 days so if you're hiring an aircraft the owners won't be happy if you didn't realise that 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Just in case anyone thinks that they might be able to sneak into Avalon East in an RA aircraft without PPL etc for CTA then I strongly advise you to reconsider as CASA regularly partol the field and keep a very close eye on activities!

Guest judemoar

Four bedroom house available to rent in Geelong during Avalon Airshow March 2009

Hi Ewan.

We are making our four bedroom house in Geelong available for rent during Avalon Airshow in March 2009.

Please pm me if you want details.

Regards Jude