RAA Endorsements

Chird65

A question for the instructor Types.

What is RAA and individual Instructors doing to prepare for when / if the new endorsements come in. How will we know in the short, medium and long term if an instructor is trained and more importantly competent to teach the newskills?

I ask in return. How do you know that the instructor you are currently with has the skills, experience and qualifications to train you for the issue of the current endorsements?

I think you'll find that RA-Aus at the higher levels are preparing instructors for the training, eg the GPPP courses that have been running in anticipation of the human factors component; however it's up to your instructor to make sure that they attend the training in a timely fashion. Quite simply if your instructor or school is not qualified then they can't issue the endorsement. This is your inbuilt protection.

It is a good question.. but brentc has hit the nail on the head..

With the CTA endo, how are instructors to get the experiance levels high enough to teach it??...Some RAA instructors have a PPL, so that would probably cover them for that..

personally i have already started taking students into CTA in the RAA acft to give them some exposure to it..

Brent, are you an instructor??...if not, why not..??.. there's a big demand at the moment, and with your experiance an knowlage base, i reckon you could kick some goals mate...just a thought...

That's a nice compliment 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif I don't get many of those.

I talk with experience on this topic. I started instructor training a couple of years back - only to find that the gentleman who started the training was not endorsed to issue an instructor rating. It would amaze you who this particular person was and you would think that this was not the case. Unfortunately they represented themselves to be able to perform this function, however after some enquiries by myself I soon found out otherwise. Turns out that this person has a history of this kind of behaviour. Hopefully one day soon someone will wake up to it and sort him out. I do feel for those that get taken for a ride and don't have the knowledge or contacts to do the research. My earlier posts sort-of contradicts what I have written here, but it's still valid. What you are not protected from is someone taking your money, training you, but not being able to issue the endorsement.

All that aside, I have little time for instructing these days with my full time job. I'd have to take a week or so off work to get the rating, plus that would have to align with the course dates and weather etc. If I ever in the next few years sell my plane, I'll do my rating and fly for free at the expense of my students 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif being careful not to become one of my own examples.

Not mine, it's homebuilt, but I could downgrade and instruct in something else, but the old problem applies where you still have to work for someone else until you get your senior then CFI ticket etc, then find an airfield, start a business, buy planes etc etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...

In time, RAAus will probably be able to publish a 'key' against the flight schools listing on the website,and in the mag, showing all of the endorsements that the school is legally able to conduct. This would make it much easier for pilots to identify where they can obtain the specific training.

Many RAAus instructors are already GA rated, (PPL, CPL, ATPL, + either an Instructor 1, 2, or 3 rating), so hold many of the endorsement powers. Ask.

happy days,

showing all of the endorsements that the school is legally able to conduct.

The problem that tends to occur here is when the RAAus changes the rules and the people that were accepted as being able to do things, now have to go back to jumping through hoops and courses, just to do what they've probably been doing for a few years now! 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

I mean, I came from flying high performance fibreglass sailplanes and when I started flying ultralights in the early Eighties, I quickly became experienced and gained an instructor rating in a 'high performance ultralight', a two stroke LightWing!

Where am I now?

Arthur.

A lot of RAAus instructors have downsized from 400kts to 80kts too. It's all relative. Have to agree that the High and Low cutoff might need some adjusting.

happy days,