Qantas tarmac collision

quentas

. If it were two cessnas, it would be called `hangar rash`. Lets see this incident get blown out of proportion by the media.

Couldn't agree with you more, but I think this one just might take a little more repairing lol more like "Hanger Laciration"006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif .

Seriousness.

I would be very surprised if this isn't taken extremely seriously, (and I don't know the details). You are not driving supermarket trolleys.. (Though I have seen a U/L pull out of a line of parked aircraft, without even checking whether it was clear, and nearly clobber another which was taxiing.).. If you think that contacting another aircraft on the ground is not serious, THEN YOU THINK WRONG. It's that simple. You're supposed to be sure that there is nothing there, and if there is any doubt STOP. Nev

I agree, I would also be interested in the condition of spars etc that have been under abnormal stresses due to the collision. I would imagine Qantas will be pulling that wing apart to be sure.

Guest airsick

I agree Nev very serious indeed. But still, two 747's colliding is a little different to two 747's being towed into each other. The media has sensationalised a headline into sounding as though hundreds of lives were at risk.

Media quality.

I think we all agree that the media plumbs the depths of inadequacy, with aircraft details. Regarding the repair procedures, They must be approved by the manufacturer who is capable of assessing the nature of the unseen damage, which may be more serious than the more obvious visual damage.

Taxi guide-lines should offer some comfort to a pilot, but they are only valid if other aircraft are parked /manoeuvered. correctly, and there is still a requirement to keep a good lookout. As I say, I don't know the details of this one, just glad I'm not involved. Nev..

, two 747's colliding is a little different to two 747's being towed into each other. The media has sensationalised a headline into sounding as though hundreds of lives were at risk.

Agreed,

I have just spoken to a person I know in Qantas who is envolved in the maint of both aircraft and the first 747 is up for a new radome and nosecone and the other a small length of leading edge only about a foot and a new winglet. Both expected to be completed within 1 day as soon as the parts arrive.

There was no excessive stress t the aircraft well no more than what its put under during heavy flights. All cosmetic

when the parts arrive? when i used to work there, the parts would have been in stock, we held enough spares to almost built 2 entire aircraft, and it wasnt uncommon to totally build a new engine cowl using nothing but spare parts! in my old workshop we had at least 5 serviceable radomes sitting there in case of emergency, talking to mates still there, the company has no catalogue of spares left.. hence the more common and longer delays when things do fail.

when the parts arrive? when i used to work there, the parts would have been in stock, talking to mates still there, the company has no catalogue of spares left.. hence the more common and longer delays when things do fail.

Couldn't agree more, it is a sad state of affairs isn't it. When a airline as big as that with as many aircraft in service as they do that at their heavy maint facility doesn't have parts that commonly can be damaged even in minor events.

Guest High Plains Drifter
...when i used to work there.....we had at least 5 serviceable radomes sitting there in case of emergency...

5 spares :ah_oh: Was Brocky the tug driver back then 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif