Nav help Caloundra

Jabiru Phil

I am flying to Caloundra middle of next month from Loxton. I will have some tiger country from Toowoomba it seems. What would be the best route into Caloundra? I have marked Watts Bridge, Kilcoy and Landsborough as waypoints as I can't see a better route to avoid the tiger problem and CTA.

Any suggestions from guys up that way would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil. 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

I've no idea where Loxton is but when heading back to YCAB from the SW I generally track via Ma Ma Creek which is E of Toowoomba and S of Gatton. It marked on the VNC. From there its pretty good country to Kilcoy and through Woodford gap to the coast

Cheers

John

Guest Cloudsuck

If you fly Toowoomba - direct - Gatton (YGAS) - direct - Somerset Dam - direct - Caloundra, you will be pretty much over good ground and following the valleys.

The leg between Toowoomba and Gatton is littered with both farm country and private airfields.

If you fly Toowoomba - direct - Watts Bridge/Kilcoy, you will track over some very nasty tiger.

Gidday Phil, I wouldn't worry too much about the "tiger" country from Toowoomba to Caloundra. If you are worried about the higher ground on your track from Toowoomba, just do what John has suggested and track up the brisbane valley to Kilcoy then head easterly down the valley to west of caboolture then track into caloundra being mindful of the CTA steps in that area as well as keeping a good lookout for traffic. it is very easy to nav as there is plenty of visual prompts for guidance unlike some of the country you're flying over coming up from SA. Have an enjoyable flight:big_grin:

Many thanks for the replies, they have helped a great deal. It does make it easier to know what to expect rather than flying in an unfamiliar area for the first time.

My mind is now at ease with the leg to Caloundra.

Cheers,

Phil.

p.s. Loxton is in the Riverland of SA about 20 miles from Renmark. We have 4 hangers with 9 aircraft, 2 GA and 7 LSA. BBQ Sundays. Good strip with happy chappies. :thumb_up:

• 4 weeks later...

Caloundra trip

Thanks guys for the help. I arrived yesterday morning after a pleasant overnight stay at Goondiwindi. I really appreciate the help given by members that made my trip more comfortable.

Some stats: 5 hours t0 Goondi via Cobar, 93 mins to Caloundra some tail wind and the jab never missed a beat. Greeen country side and plenty of surface water QLD end. GREEN grass like you have never seen before all over the place. Here for a month, returning mid Jan probably via Moree, Narromine, Hay, Loxton as I will have a passenger back and would like to take in some different scenery without any Tiger.

Cheers,

Phil.

Gday Phil,

Glad to hear you arrived safely. Missed your call this morning. However, enjoy your stay in sunny QLD and dont forget to advertise the 40 year Flyin on 2-3 May '09

Merry Christmas

Glen.

Thanks Glen. Yes trip up was great. I will certainly mention our Loxton 40 th anniversary fly-in to all that I meet whilst here.

I hope that you can post all the details on this forum when you can so pilots can organise their time away.

Catch you mid Jan, meanwhile have a merry Xmas.

Cheers.

Phil.