SCRAP THE ASIC

quentas

Maybe its time we looked at scrapping the ASIC card for recreational flyers minding their own business. I believe a current drivers licence with photo is all that should be required for ID. The USA and NZ looked at it and do not have a similar system due to the obvious flaws. As for me, I am sick of the thing trying to strangle me as I get on my knees to check undersides of planes etc, and the local council worker asks me why Im not wearing it (when I put it in my pocket through shear annoyance) even though he knows who I am. I tried to use the ASIC for ID purposes at the bank but they dont recognise it as a valid form of ID for the 100 points unlike a Drivers Licence. Maybe we can petition the Rudd government to have this Howard impost reversed.

Doesn't matter how hard we look at scrapping the ASIC. it is not up to us.

The Government have no control of aviation. CASA and Airservices with all their beaurocrats can refuse to listen to the minister by stating it is a safety issue. The last 3 Ministers responsible have been made to look stupid, so they will not try again.

Guest Flyer40

If anyone want's to start a petition I'll sign it and I reckon greater than 9 out of 10 pilots would sign it. Personally I would rate the ASIC debacle as the most discouraging thing that ever happened to aviation in this country.

It came to light in the news recently you can actually check in to a major airline WITHOUT showing any form of ID (using self checkin kiosk). That makes the whole `aviation security` a huge joke. Now it just singles out us pilots who want to fly ourselves around. The only use an ASIC has to me is as a name tag to remember peoples names at flyins etc.. or as a scraper of some kind (a very expensive scraper)

I flew to St George for a Navex and then stayed overnight to take a church service, since I am a flying padre and all, the next morning I returned to the airport and the gate onto the apron was wide open so I told my parishioner to drive out to the plane to unload my gear.

Bad mistake!

The council bloke returned from his glory lap around the strip and proceeded to try to take strips off us for entering the gate and not having a card.

After he finished his over inflated mantra about not letting me back on the strip and reporting me he let me go.

But I do wonder, if security is sooooo important at St George Airport is SW Queensland, why did he leave the gate wide open on his inspection of the strip?????011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

There is security and then there is security, but then there is stupidity. ASIC falls into the latter category!

It seems the ASIC requirement at small airports has given some sense of power and authority to the council worker charged with `securing` Australias airports. It makes some feel important being able `tell off` a pilot where a few years ago, we would have been left alone, or maybe a general friendly chat before flight.

Guest airsick
, but then there is stupidity. ASIC falls into the latter category!

Sounds like the local council guy does too.

I will express my views to AOPA and have done to airports, members of parliament and OTS but all to no avail. In fact I have recently heard back from a contact at Canberra Airport and they got hounded by an MP because of my enquiries. Initially I thought it was a good thing but the attitude of the MP was completely negative towards us. His opinion was that if he had to get screened when he caught a plane then he couldn't understand why we wanted to not be screened. In my view his attitude simply highlights the nonsense of an ASIC - we have been screened as being acceptable already, otherwise what point is the ASIC!

Furthermore, the local council guy, the security officers, airline staff, etc. have had exactly the same screening as us yet they are the ones screening us on entry. Who is screening them? Why aren't they subjected to an increased level of scrutiny? What makes them any more trust worthy than us?

The whole thing is nonsense. Write to your local member. Write to the airports. Write to the Office of Transport Security. Write to AOPA and the RAA. But don't just whinge in here. The people that make these idiotic decisions don't read these forums. Feel free to mention it here of course but remember, a vent here won't change anything on its own.

I just sent an email to aopa letting them know I will sign up if they are serious about lobbying the removal of ASIC. I think they would greatly increase their membership if they made a dent in this.

If we must have security, and the government seems to think we must, then an ASIC is not a bad idea. The trouble starts when you have to go through all the bulls--t to get it renewed. Once you have one I would expect your name and details to be on record. With all records now being computerised it would be immediately apparent if you were convicted of any offence, but you are required to tell them.

To renew should be just a matter of the police running a check to see if you are still OK. Not a complete re run of the initial application, and the price is way above what it all costs, but as I have stated before it is no use talking to your MP, because he will be sidelined, by being told it is a safety issue.

djpacro.

You are correct I should have included Dotars in my posy. The people who brought us the lock up your plane fiasco. At least that only cost about $50 for a padlock that is about the heaviest item on my plane, except the engine.

Guest Ruprect
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of previous posts. There may be some other actions taken in the meantime in regards to `national security`https://www.getup.org.au/campaign/WereAfraidNot&id=435

Can some tech guru explain how this happened. I entered my EMAIL ADDRESS ONLY at the above site to show my support in changing these stupid anti-terror laws.

I soon recieved an email addressing me by my FIRST NAME???- WTF?018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

For an anti over governing movement, they seem to be a bit Big Brotherish;)

Guest airsick
Hey Airsick maybe if that MP had forked out a couple of hundred bucks for an asic then maybe his attitude would change.Ozzie

That's the point I was trying to make. Clearly he doesn't respect the fact that we have already been scrutinised by the powers that be. The bit that really irks me though is when I have to be let through the gate by someone who is somehow more trustworthy than me but is only subject to the same level of scrutiny. How does that work? I have an ASIC, he has an ASIC but somehow he is trusted to assess whether I am allowed airside!

Whats a criminal record got to do with it anyway???...i know a guy who's got a good long wrap sheet.. Applied for an asic...no problems, he got his back faster then i got mine..

ps..they are not petty crimes either...they include drink driving, and posession of narcotics...to name a few... what exactly are we being screened for?? Muslims in the family????thumb_downthumb_down

with CASA and Airservices totally ignoring the govt, and with banks doing as they please with interest rates now, does this govt have any control at all?

opps, sorry for the thread drift, after the fiasco with my first ASIC application, i refuse to hold one, i dont want to give Dotars or whoever they are one red cent. i applied for my first ASIC, sent the payment, by the time i recieved it 18 Months later, it also included the renewal invoice!! for 18 months i never even had my ASIC! not only that, i have Departent of defence Secret level clearance, and a QANTAS SIC for Syd airport, but none of this was good enough for DOTARS!

There are `nameless` people in my area that dont and probably never will have an ASIC.

One guy walked past `officials` with a defence ID on his flight jacket, noone took any notice. When I looked at it later, its expiry date was in 1994!! There will be plenty of similar stories to tell over a beer in the future.

The thing that annoys me is that I can not see the point in requiring an asic card if it is almost never policed. To travel overseas you need a passport, this works because you cannot leave the country without presenting it. In the 2 years that I have been flying I have never been asked to present an asic card (luckily), if I were that way inclined I would have had so many opportunities. It could only work if you could not enter the tarmac area without showing your card.

• 2 weeks later...

ASIC the Security Joke

At our local regional airport we have all the usual high tech security fences, gates, signs and card readers. If you want to access this area illegally you have to walk at least 200 Meters before you get to the secondary security device which is a 1 Metre high star picket/wire fence. Don't be fooled by its simple design, it has a special device at the top of the assembly known as "barbed wire". We think it is there to snare the headwear of likely terrorists as they attempt to manouvour through the 1st and 2nd wire. If your clever enough to negotiate this secondary security device, simply look for the local service vehicle and you may find a device used for keeping the cockys off the runway.:yuk:

ps..they are not petty crimes either...they include drink driving, and posession of narcotics...to name a few...

Oh my god ....... by the definition above ........... I'm a criminal