Soon to be a new WA Pilot

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

G'day all!

One of the blokes at work had a chat to me about getting involved in recreational aircraft. During our shift we talked a lot about types of aircraft, licensing and costs. Before I knew it he had me hook, line and sinker!

I've had some previous experience in a T300 Thruster some 12 to 15 years ago. My grandfather was an instructor flying out of the Oaks in NSW. He's been taking me flying since I was a young fella in small single engine aircraft like the C150, C172 and the Trinidad Tabago. I think the cost and requirements started to get to him so he did his conversion to Rec aircraft and that's where I first got the bug.

But after all these years I never did anything about it until now. I didn't realise that I could have an unrestricted certificate for around $4000! So I'm head down and bum up to get into it asap (much to my wife's digust!).

Currently I'm working within aviation as aircrew for Aerorescue in a Dornier 328 out of Perth so eventually I'll get the best of both worlds!

This Sat I'm heading out with this mate of mine from work up to Bindoon to check out the facilities and will try and get a TIF sorted out. My plan is to get things moving in the new year.

Hope to see some of you guys around! :thumb_up:

Brett

G'day Bret

Great to see another RAA pilot for WA. There has been a few changes in RAA since 15 years ago that you will enjoy. Have been involved in GA for a few years but only 17 months in RAA. Hope it go's well for you and enjoy this fantastic site

Phil

Guest Brett Campany

Mate I couldn't get enough money quick enough to get into it!! Trying to sort out my roster so I can get those first few hours done and dusted!

Guest Maj Millard

Hi there Brett, you rescue guys do a great job also, I often have to comm for safety with you blokes when flying, so generally keep it short, as I know you're probabily in a hurry to get somewhere. just put a 406gps PRB in the plane, so I guess if I have to see you sometime, it'll hopefully be quicker !. Should be interesting to see what a difference the new beacons make in say, the next ten years. Maybe you are in a position to keep us informed on that front ?.

We are in the best recretional aviation scene around. If we can just keep CASA from spoiling it all for us. Fifteen years ago they didn't even want to know us, now they want to turn us into the "new GA" .... unfortunatly it's all about control.

On the other hand, we have really great aircraft, with good engines available to us these days, so you would be crazy not to get out, and be a part of it. Cheers 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Brett Campany

Cheers Major! I highly recommend everyone who plans on doing any cross country trips have a PLB / PRB with them. You never can tell what might happen these days and if you do get into trouble anywhere in Australia then it doesn't take us long at all to get to you. We can drop stores to you and maintain a watch of you until ground or helo rescue comes to you.

I'll try and compile a post on our capabilities if the Admin would like me to about our services and recommendations of what to take so we can find you quicker!

I'll try and compile a post on our capabilities if the Admin would like me to about our services and recommendations of what to take so we can find you quicker!

Great, please do for all Recreational Flying site members to read

Guest Maj Millard

Thank's for your reply Brett, I'm sure any educated pointers that you provide, will be well recieved by all. During my airforce time I packed survival kits both for single packs, and for large multi -person life rafts. Always very interesting what goes in them, and how many. For example the single-seat Mirage pack contained packs of chewing gum (spearmint I think). Thinking was, if your bobbing wet in an unfriendly sea in a small life raft, you may just want to chew a stick of gum to relieve the tension. And didn't my old mate Chuck Yeager insist on a stick of Beamans prior to dropping in the X1, to break the sound barrier ?..."pay ya back later Ridley" (The Right Stuff) Up here in the Northern tropics, first on the list is the small mossy net, which will roll up and fit into a paniken cup. Overnite the insects will almost kill you as quick as anything else. Thanks 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Hey Brett, Have a pilot friend used to fly amphib C208s at Hamilton Is., now driving Dorners at Darwin for coastwatch. His name is Greg Scutter, have you run into him yet ? if so tell him Ross Millard says Hi....................

Guest Brett Campany
Hey Brett, Have a pilot friend used to fly amphib C208s at Hamilton Is., now driving Dorners at Darwin for coastwatch. His name is Greg Scutter, have you run into him yet ? if so tell him Ross Millard says Hi....................

Have heard of him, yeah! If I get the chance to hit Darwin or if Greg comes down, I'll make sure I say g'day for sure!

Guest Brett Campany
Onya Brett, we'll track him down. Is that your new dream machine on the left ?. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

That's what I start training in on Friday the 12th. Hopefully I'll be looking at one in a couple of years time though. Rumour has it that CZAW went bankrupt though?? Anyone know any more on this?