Jabiru types

markendee

Can someone point me to a site which lists all the models of Jabirus ever made?

I often hear of a model I had never previously heard of and have gone looking for a list but am yet to find one.

The Jabiru website lists current models only (as far as I can find)

A mate just bought a nice little s/h LSA55 which started me thinking. (dangerous I know)

Mark

G'day Mark, must be getting a few hours up in your Savannah by now. :thumb_up: It's a damn good question - there must be a quite a lot as they changed a few things for the different rules in overseas countrys. (variations of a theme). 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

The thing I love about Jabiru :heart: is that they are continually evolving, small improvements all the time. I'm planning to keep mine until it becomes a collectors item. ;);)

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

PS - I've been a bit light on airtime this last few weeks. My Father in Law is visiting and he's a slave driver. (but I do get lots of things done) :thumb_up:

Best answer for this would be to jump straight in and start a list and we can add to it from there.

Factory Built:

LSA55

J160c

J170c

J230D

UL-D (Long wing, long fuse, big tail)

J120 (modified SP with big tail)

Kit Built:

SK (short wing, short fuselage)

SP (short wing, long fuselage)

SP6 (sp in 6 cylinders)

SP-T (Tail scraper)

J160

J170

J200

J230

J400

J430

J250

J450

I hope I'm 99% of the way there.

The LSA55 was the original certified factory built model that came with the KFM engine, then later the 1,600cc then 2,200, so chronologically it came before the SP which was kit built. The SP had extras that made the LSA55 a better aircraft (like the stretched fuselage), but rather than spend a million re-certifying, the factory LSA55 stayed the same and the Kit SP was sold and eventually in a way evolved into the J160.

If I've got this right in Factory Built models they went from LSA55 to J160 with no model changes or significant upgrades (aside from the engine) in-between.

I'm not sure where the UL-C fits into the scheme exactly.

Pete, 32 - so not too many, thanks for asking.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

That list is a great help Brent - starting to make sense of it all.

One thing though. What did you mean by:-

"The SP had extras that made the LSA55 a better aircraft (like the stretched fuselage), but rather than spend a million re-certifying, the factory LSA55 stayed the same and the Kit SP was sold and eventually in a way evolved into the J160."

Why were the extras detrimental? I'm guessing the longer fuse hampered the performance???

Yep, missed the J230c, sorry about that. It's not on their page as a current offering so I missed it.

"The SP had extras that made the LSA55 a better aircraft (like the stretched fuselage), but rather than spend a million re-certifying, the factory LSA55 stayed the same and the Kit SP was sold and eventually in a way evolved into the J160."

I'll clarify that - The SP was primarily an LSA55 but got extras such as a stretched fuselage and modified doors and cowls. For the LSA55 to be modified to get these performance enhancing extras it would have to be re-certified which would cost big $$$. I guess a decision was made to not re-certify due to the cost which probably didn't affect sales as flying schools bought the LSA55's and private builders bought the SP.

The SP modifications were far from detrimental and the longer fuselage resulted in a less pitchy aircraft and better balanced performance plus a larger range of wheels and undercarriage. The door hinge modifications resulted in a stronger door and other modifications such as the larger fuel tank were also handy.

It's been an interesting evolution of an aircraft, especially when they announced a 4-seater and even more interesting now that a single seater may be in the pipeline.

So far it's:

Factory Built:

LSA55

J160c

J170c

J230C

J230D

UL-D (Long wing, long fuse, big tail)

J120 (modified SP with big tail)

Kit Built:

SK (short wing, short fuselage)

SP (short wing, long fuselage)

SP6 (sp in 6 cylinders)

SP-T (Tail scraper)

J160

J170

J200

J230

J400

J430

J250

J450

Guest JRMobile

Just going through my old Jabiru Tech Manual and found a few more models,

LSA 55/2J,

LSA 55/3J,

Jabiru ST & ST3,

UL6.

The page date is 04/04/01. Not sure how they fit in to the above list.

Cheers JR