Human Factors exam

Guest briansmallman

Guest High Plains Drifter
A lot of posts seem to indicate that the HF training and sample questions haven't been looked at.

turboplanner, do you know why ultralights (RAAus aircraft) came into existence?

I dont think anybody is criticizing the HPL as such - more its relavence to Rec av ops. The parts of HPL that are relavent to Rec av should already be covered in training. No need for yet more tests - yet more costs.

I would recomend a read of Blink, The Power of Thinking without Thinking.

quote - "If you get too caught up in the production of inforemation, you drown in the data"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry HPD, I really am receptive, but couldn't help myself when the first thing I read about Blink etc was a Book Review on the Science WA site which reads:

"Blink cuts the ground from under its feet by not being able to analyse impulsive behaviour.

"The result is a collection of rather ordinary and self indulgent stories that while making a simple point are not offset by the greater number of stories about the pitfalls of not thinking.

"Failure requires no preparation and the evolution of homo sapiens thus far refutes the book’s thesis that it is better to blink than think.

"This easy to read (big writing) collection of stories is well suited to those with short attention spans for whom the simple message will be a welcome but shallow justification for their lifestyle."

From my reading about Human Factors, the reason the exam was introduced was to be able to quantify Airmanship, or at least that is the reason given by CASA on their web site.

What gets me is the lack of info available. Do I have to find a school, or an instructor to conduct the test, or can I do it on line?

Apologies turboplanner I should of fleshed out the qoute a bit more to show the relavence.

The Science WA reveiw makes a fair comment on Blink. Certainly something that occured to me after reading it (yes, I know, I'm slow - no Blink moment for me 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

Re the quote "If you get too caught up in the production of inforemation, you drown in the data" - that was actually made by a Paul Van Ripper.

Retired general Ripper comanded the rogue enemy side (red team) in the quarter billion dollar 2002 U.S. war game Millennium Challenge. Gen Ripper with the aproximate military assets of Saddam wupped the top U.S. military crew (blue team). Ripper had to be sidelined half way through the war games so as not to win the war.

Quote - "Blue team had their databases and matrixes and methodlogies for systematically understanding the intentions and capabilities of the enemy" i.e. they sat around and gave every move a lot of thought (reads a little like HP+L 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)....Red team had Rippers gut feeling. I note both teams had prior military experience.

Basicly, Ripper makes the piont that once the shooting starts (when the flying starts) there should be minimal thinking required - e.g. no paralysis by analysis.

..not offset by the greater number of stories about the pitfalls of not thinking.

Yes to that.

It's all a plot to divert future winners of the Darwin Award!

I sometimes wonder....are residents of Darwin ineligible for the award ? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I hope you didn't just say we should all stop thinking when we start flying???

No motza. I was just putting an extreme example.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif..Yea i know...was just stirring... I agree but, one problem ive noticed quite a bit with some students is they overthink evrything, and when they do they fly like 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif.. they improve outa sight when they just relax and fly the plane.. Ive developed a little trick, when i think they are overthinking every input i get them to tell me a story, and they aren't allowed to stop talking.. it seems to work.. the same trick works when its a bit rough...(especially if the story involves an incounter with the opposite sex;))

cheers

Guest Brett Campany
006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif..Yea i know...was just stirring... I agree but, one problem ive noticed quite a bit with some students is they overthink evrything, and when they do they fly like 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif.. they improve outa sight when they just relax and fly the plane.. Ive developed a little trick, when i think they are overthinking every input i get them to tell me a story, and they aren't allowed to stop talking.. it seems to work.. the same trick works when its a bit rough...(especially if the story involves an incounter with the opposite sex;))cheers

I might keep that in mind for this morning!

He did it correctly for 30 years, so, WHY DID IT HAPPEN???

If the reasons are so obvious and as simple as a bit of HF training and examination ,wouldn`t it be just so wonderfull and easy.

In my opinion,for starters, we`re all individuals and therefore,finaly, make individual choices and decisions.

How can we expect to get the exact same outcome from each individual,regardless of training or exams?

Human Factors, mean just that.

Cheers,

Frank.

True enough Frank, but I think what the HPL syllabus is trying to tell us is to be individuals but develop methods to prevent lapses,

ie not just scanning instruments without actually registering what we see.

Example: Get someone to ask you what the oil pressure was

after you've finished the downwind checks.

Important.

There are plenty of occasions where a response is given to a check item, and it is an automatic response, where the item is NOT checked at all but the person performing the check thinks he/she has done the checklist.

I have personally witnessed this . As to remembering the oil pressure (as in the example) Is that necessary? To know that the oil pressure is in an acceptable range is all that matters. and that it will not be a problem.... Fuel quantity... Could be important in a go around situation...

Is it important to know the EXACT quantity. would this be taking more of your time than it deserves? Perhaps. PLENTY might be a good enough assessment, if appropriate.

What you are trying to do is determine if fuel might be an important consideration for the continuance of the flight. IF the weather is marginal, it might be better to assess it in safe air time left, Or Got enough for 2 approaches. THAT concept puts a flight management aspect to it. Means more than just numbers.. Nev..

Sorry Facthunter, that's what I should have said, the key is to actually do the things required to get the aircraft through to the next phase.

I'd still make the challenge to get someone to ask you whether the oil was in the green, or similar, at a random time so you can check yourself.

More.

TP. I am not disputing your statement, in fact my first para agrees with you completely. The purpose of a checklist is to establish and verify a condition where the aircraft is set up to operate in the environment which you are entering, Example: you are going to land, therefore the brakes should be checked "OFF". (Amongst other things). But this is one of the most obvious actions.

Your point is that the list and response can be performed without really looking at the gauge, I think, just recited because you are supposed to do it.

Regarding indication and actual numbers, I am happy with "green arc" (normal range), for pre-landing checks. If you suspect that the engine has been running close to the upper or lower end of the range then you would pay a bit more attention to the actual figure, especially if maintenance is likely to be involved, later..

I hope I'd pass your second requirement because of the thoroughnes of the training I have had and I have an attitude of "if you are not sure, do it again' (check it).EVEN IF IT MAKES YOU LOOK SILLY. Beware of distraction. If you are inclined to prattle on about personal things when you are coming into a potential high awarenes situation "THINK AEROPLANE". & fly it like your life depended on it (because it does, and maybe someone elses too).. Nev.

Brake application.

Is that happening in the aircraft? Something to do with the movement of the leg muscles. It would indeed be a human factor. I expect that you will eventually have to pay extra for your BFR's. Nev..

We better get off my shortcomings, wondered why I had trouble getting Instructors.

I have some information on the Human Factors exam.

STUDY MATERIAL

Suggest you contact Ian on the Clear Prop section of this site - good opportunity to underwrite the great service he provides for us. He tells me he doesn't have stocks of books yet, but will get them in if there's a demand.

EXAM

I contacted RAA and this is the latest information:

(a) Talk to your CFI and do the exam at your flying school (it is a written exam only)

(b) If you are an RAA pilot, where you don't have a local flying school or geographically its not feasible to go to a flying school, RAA are working on an online version of the Human Factors course; the completion date is getting close, but no fixed date yet (remember, you've got 2 years to do it)

When the online version is up and running RAA will notify all members.

(Sorry, haven't checked out GA process for PPL)

yes, have heard of three others who winged it and passed without nay study - makes you wonder what all the whinging was about.

However, I wouldn't recommend that because there are still plenty of questions in the barrel which aren't jyst about commonsense.

For those who take this seriously...

Some pilots learn the checks, and do them by ritual, but don't stop to indentify what they actually saw - this is a human factor which can lead to a fatality, not just a laugh.

Two downwind checks, Fuel quantity and Oil pressure will tell you whether you are in good shape for a go round or touch and go, or whether you need to make a commitment to land regardless of less dangerous factors.