Newby

Guest taildragger

Guest taildragger

Hey all,

Was browsing the web for flying sites and found this one. not too sure if anyone's interested but hey - you never know if you don't ask. Anyway I'm a PPL all of around 175 hrs on Grumman tigers, supercubs, DH82's, Yak52, Decathlon, I fly out of YBAF (Archerfield). I have a love affair with anything taildragging and like most don't have enough time to get airborne. Anyway if anyone wants to chat feel free

Taildragger

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Taildrager,

So now have a go at Drifter and do some real flying. ;).

Havn`t flown any of your aircraft other than the Decathlon,I did spin training in the Decathlon,loved it.

Cheers,

Frank.

Guest taildragger

Drifter !!!!

Hi Frank

No offence but my idea of sitting on the end of a broomstick to fly is not for me. You guys are some brave pilots. I did very early on in my flying interest have a desire to fly drifters (some 10 yrs ago) however due to a very close call where a dear friend of mine invited me up at Koralbyn in his drifter. I at the time regretfully declined due to work comittments. He took a local up and on short final (low and slow) stalled and impacted vertically. That could have been me - too close for comfort there. So from then on I desired only heavy metal (so to speak). Again no offence intended. But i do love vintage. And some vintage a/c are not too much heavier than LSA, so go figure. It's a mental hurdle thing i think. Thanks for taking the time to respond Frank, and I look forward to many more discussions with you. Where do you fly out of?? I often fly into Boonah and visit the Flying Tigers etc (see, I'm not that terrified of LSA) and enjoy the company there. Gliding is another desire of mine but time is the issue there.

Taildragger

Taildrager,

No offence taken as I myself describe the Drifter as you have,I learnt to fly on something I called,a garden chair with a wing on it,built a copy of a Chinook WT2,from scratch and flew that for several years, have also flown a Wheeler Scout, several times,now that`s real Ultralight,a CFM Shadow,an MX Quicksilver,the Sky Dart,quite a few HRS in the Zenith 701,a Lightwing,the Drifter on floats and test flown several others for other people.

Years ago,on the TV news I saw a Drifter accident where the aircraft came down,on final,and impacted verticaly and was stuck nose first into the ground,tail straight into the air,the guy in the front seat was killed,this was somewhere near Boonah,was that the one you mentioned?

On a serious note,"LOW AND SLOW AND IN YOU GO" and I think we both know that a bit of metal around you is not going to do much,other than cut you up a bit more,if you hit the ground hard enough,the secret is in keeping the aircraft flying at all times.

Check out my blog on this forum and you`ll see me and where I fly from.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

FLYING IS EASY, HITTING THE GROUND IS HARD.

Guest taildragger

Thanks for the reply Frank. That may have been the accident you describe. Both occupants were killed instantly. My PPL instructor taugt me to actually fly an aeroplane not just how to drive one. He always reinforced to me "if you're gonna crash then crash in control". I reckon thats good advice.

Mike