Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi EK you have a lot of knowledge on these aircraft you must do a lot of study, do you know of the upgrades for the wings l cant see any improvements on my plans that aren't already on the wings .cheers Geoff.

Quote from http://www.ch701.com/savanna/savanna.htm

In 2001, the design gross weight of the STOL CH 701 was increased to 1,100 lbs. from 950 lbs. by redesigning the wing spar and numerous other structural components. Nearly overnight, copies were subsequently marketed with a gross weight increase to 1,100 lbs. - with no apparent design or structural changes to justify the gross weight increase).

Also, you may be interested in the 2001 "news release" from http://www.zenithair.com/news/701-sp-7-2001.html

2114837469_climb701.jpg.a2b4700209eeef6a4417eb7a662902f7.jpg

NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release: July 2001

For More Information:

[email protected]

STOL CH 701 Update: New 4th Edition Drawings

2060317630_take-off701.jpg.e83b6acc06e7f50cbd97b96352632f01.jpg

Mexico, Missouri -- With the release of the 4th edition STOL CH 701 drawings, designer Chris Heintz has introduced a number of design updates to the popular STOL CH 701 short take-off and landing (STOL) kit aircraft.

The design gross weight of the two-seat all-metal aircraft has been increased from 960 lbs. to 1,100 lbs. to better accommodate the installation of new engines such as the 100-hp Rotax 912S. New wing tanks (2 x 10 US gal.) are now standard equipment with the design, as well as new top-hinged "swing-up" doors and a formed acrylic windshield. The new 4th edition blueprints are CAD-drawn for maximum clarity and detail.

"Since its introduction in 1986, the STOL CH 701 design has undergone very few design changes," explained designer Chris Heintz. "With the advent of the Sport Pilot category, we decided to increase the gross weight of the design, while keeping all the high-lift features of the design intact. This design continues to gain popularity with sport pilots around the world despite the fact that it was introduced 16 years ago. All-metal durability and great STOL performance make the 701 a great light ‘bush-plane’."

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi EK thanks l knew you are a wealth of knowledge, l have the original 1986 wings so l will do the updates .cheers Geoff.

"The design gross weight of the two-seat all-metal aircraft has been increased from 960 lbs. to 1,100 lbs."

One thing that I couldn't find out easily is how difficult the upgrade is: you'd have to contact the Zenith people in the USA for that.

I think it's worth doing the weight upgrade to be able carry an extra 64 kg of passenger, fuel and/or baggage. Even if you don't take on board an additional 64 kg, it's always nice to know you have a stronger plane when you're caught in heavy turbulence. 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Hi Geoff getting much done, I drilled a pilot hole for my bungee pin then put a rod throught alast I think I will have good tension so will drill out to 5/8 Heading to the big smoke tomorrow was going to try and get to airport metals but looks like going to be to late is that where you buy your metals from Cheers Phil

Hi Geoff getting much done, I drilled a pilot hole for my bungee pin then put a rod throught alast I think I will have good tension so will drill out to 5/8 Heading to the big smoke tomorrow was going to try and get to airport metals but looks like going to be to late is that where you buy your metals from Cheers Phil

Hi Phil l buy all my metals from H-aircraft spares in Moorabin.

l have been installing my wing tanks and because they are out of a savannah the tubes that come out for the fuel gauge wont work for mine so l am taking them out and blanking them off .

l have bent up some brackets to hold the tanks in place ,what system do you have on your wings to check the fuel lines and for replacement when needed.

l have to make some inspection holes ,also l have made a z brace for the top of the fus they say they can buckle if used on rough strips.

has yours got them they are 7f5-3.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff cant answer on the wings have not looked at them stored in the roof of the barn.My plane has the 7f5-3sp on my new plans 7f5-3sp is a u chanel 40x22 with 75 and 105 degre bends we looking at the same part cheers Phil

Hi Phil

mine just has the u shape, to make it stronger they make a Z shape and put that on turning it in to a box section.

does your have wing tanks .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Phil thanks for the pic, l will have to put the whole on the other side of the rib different tank hose comes out the rear of the tank.

l found all of the wing updates but cant do them all unless l pull all of the top skin off .

do you have the updated wing or the standard wing .

cheers Geoff..

Hi EK sorry for the late respose. Thanks for your woulds of encouragement:thumb up: .Do you fly ifso what kind?

Hi Phil,

I'm really a beginner in flying: I'm doing my PPL flight training in a Piper Super Cub. But, I am seriously looking at getting a Pilot Certificate instead (because of the cost).

Image0253.jpg.4e2dd754ba15c64b01c6e9bd4525e9ff.jpg

Hi Geoff have alook at this site Ron's Zenair CH701 construction site tips and tricks Cheers Phil

Hi Phil have seen this one of Rons , made doubles for wing attachments today nearly finished the wing tanks wait for some rivets.

cheers Geoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff how is it all going down your way ? have not gone near my plane for 2 weeks to much work also started my navs last weekend so that will take up next few weekends.New 503 going into your old Tyro next week or so mite see it flying around will be good Cheers Phil.

Hi Geoff how is it all going down your way ? have not gone near my plane for 2 weeks to much work also started my navs last weekend so that will take up next few weekends.New 503 going into your old Tyro next week or so mite see it flying around will be good Cheers Phil.

Hi Phil

Have finished one wing completely installed wing tank just got to get some rivnuts to put in my inspection plate for the fuel lines.

Also have rebuilt all my heads for the 912 start assembling the motor now soon as my new rings arrive and new lifters.

Still haven't ordered my new wheels or brakes yet .

l am wait for my runway to dry out so l can take the drifter out for a fly .

It will be good to get the Tyro back in the air send some pics when it is done .

While you are doing your navs fly down this way it will be a good test for you its only a couple of hours.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff had a look at the maps only 148 nm will have to suggest to instructor to come down your way. Have you found a prop? I have a series3 68inch bolly here if you want a lend. I must order my cables still undecided weather to repaint big job to strip,I see the N3pup back on ebay wonder what he would take for it sold my tractor yesterday all cashed up, mentioned to wife but got no responseCheers Phil

Hi Phil

l will get the coordinates of Williams strip it is 1000 mts l think it would be long enough for you to land there.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif.

l have been looking at 68 inch brogla sports prop some people say they are a bit light for what l need or l might get a warp drive from the US.

Make him an offer on the pup he might take $10.000 for it give you something to fly while you are building and buy your wife some flowers or get her a new washing machine that will keep them happy when you get an other aircraft, at one stage there l have 4 aircraft in me shed and my power chute my wife loves flying so it is easy for me .

What is your paint like on it and depends on what it was painted with as how hard to strip.

l have ordered all my new bolts today from the US l am replacing all the bolts on the 701 also l am trying to find some dark tinted Lexan for the top part of the screen l am not supposed to be in the sun for long l might even put a bennie mod on top block out the sun completely.

cheers Geoff

Hi Geoff spoke to the instructor today he is keen depending on the weather , would you offer him 10k for the pup i was thinking 7k done a few hours and has been bent a couple of times .Paint on my plane is rough have picked up some striper that you used will try a bit and see if it comes off easy then make a decision. Funny what you are going to do about blocking out the sun i was thinking the same thing the savs have only a small window on the roof i was thinking replacing the roof lexan with a aluminium stop sun and glare Cheers Phil

Hi Geoff spoke to the instructor today he is keen depending on the weather , would you offer him 10k for the pup i was thinking 7k done a few hours and has been bent a couple of times .Paint on my plane is rough have picked up some striper that you used will try a bit and see if it comes off easy then make a decision. Funny what you are going to do about blocking out the sun i was thinking the same thing the savs have only a small window on the roof i was thinking replacing the roof lexan with a aluminium stop sun and glare Cheers Phil

But, you'd lose the advantage that 701's have over the Sav: upward visibility!

visibility250606219_visibility701.gif.1e709ee0c476d4445ad8ba708fc7cff1.gif