airstrips near Clare SA

Guest rxbrumby

Guest rxbrumby

My family and I are going to clare for a few days over christmas. Was wondering if there is any airstrips near the town. I know there is one at farrell flat, but would like to find somewhere closer to the town where I can land and leave my plane. We will be going on the 22nd of december and leaving 27-28th. It would be nice to take the plane for scenic flights around the area. We are staying at the caravan park in town, spent the last 2 christmases there, so looking for something different to do while there this year.

Scott

Hi Scott, can't help you except perhaps you try GooglEarth. Clare and surrounding country is beautiful. How are you getting the plane + caravan + wife + children all there? Towing the van with the plane on top 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Enjoy your stay.

Guest rxbrumby

The wife will drive there with the camper trailer, and I would ferry the plane there. I think the trailer would put me over mtow in the minicab:laugh:. Not too bothered if I cant take the plane, I have until the 6 jan off so hopefully can get in some flying time. I wouldnt mind flying to pt pirie, only about 2 hours flight. Any one else have some sugestions for a good destination to spend the night to, I need to beable to get fuel every 2-2.25 hours though.

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Scott, Noticed your Minicab, was that the one advertised for sale recently ?. Not interested in buying it, but it just looks like an interesting little plane to me . What motor do you have in it ?. Cheers 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest rxbrumby

It was advertised about 18 months ago by the original builder. Ive owned it for just on 1 year. It has a continental c85 crankcase and crank with 0-200 cylinders and camshaft, makes about 90-95 horses. the airframe weighs 269 kgs dry. Mtow is 480kgs(can carry 560kgs if it was VH reg). climbs at 1000fpm at Mtow and cruises at 90knts using 16L of fuel an hour. It has a 50ltr tank. It has the beefed up main spar mod and uses the original wing span of 5.4m. stalls at 28knt IAS. It has big powerful control surfaces and can be chucked around like a fighter(in uk they can be certified for spins). Its a bit of a handful when landing if not used to it as it is very short coupled but the u/c is nice and wide. Its a ball to fly and teaches you good rudder co-ordination as it has a bit of adverse yaw due to long wings and big ailerons.

Guest Maj Millard

See I know a damn good flying machine when I see one. The trick of course in landing a taildragger ( as you probabily know by now), is to touch down at the right speed, (or lack thereof) and not a knot more !. Have a nice Xmas, Cheers Ross. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

I think I saw your plane parked at Farrell Flat when I overflew the airstrip today. But then 30 seconds later I noticed another airstrip. One with 2 runways. Have you found out why there are 2 airstrips so close together?

It is indeed a pitty that there isn't an airstrip closer to Clare.

Cheers,

your neighbour Rob (hangared next door)

Guest rxbrumby

Yep, that was my plane. do you mean the one nearer to mintaro, across the road from martindale hall. I havnt found whos that is, but it looks nicer that farrel flat. I went for a bit of a fly about yesterday. I flew over the house i grew up in at lochiel, then to snowtown and found a realy nice looking airfield just out of town on the bute road, then flew to burra to have a look. I followed the wife while she was driving back from looking at burra, got some pictures of her. I then found out whow much of a slope the strip at farrel flat has, and found it better to take a small 2-3 knot tail wind on landing uphill than a 2-3 knot head wind down hill. The two previous days flying out of here was a direct head wind 10knts or a 90deg cross wind at 10-15knts, which is lots of fun in a taildragger. might try for an evening flight tonight if the thunderstorms keep away! trying to log flight times every day while away.

cheers and merry christmas

scott

Hi Guy's the strip which is only 2-3nm to the north west is a much better strip if you are that way, can put you in contact with the owner if you like, the other strip which is nearer Mintaro is used by Areotech Ag Av,

Jamestown is a good place, close enough to walk to town if you please, And there is going to be a serious airshow there in October this year.

There is also a strip just north of clare only 320m long and usually has a x wind, there is another strip north of the Kirrabilly winery on the way back into Clare from Farrell Flat, sorry for not seeing your post sooner ! both of hse strips mentioned have Foxbats operted from them !

Cheers Guy and Happy New Year

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I forgot about Jamestown. And they also seem to have AVGAS according to the AOPA book.

Blueshed you seem to know quite a few strips up that way. Do you know of any strips around the flinders ranges?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob

Depends which part of the finders you whish to go to, there are strips at Rawnsley Park (permsion required) however they also have camp site and cabins, this is basically on thhe southern side of Wilpena Pound. here are other numerous strips around this area.

Melrose has a private strip, Boolereoo Centre, Quorn also have strips. Not sure about Wilmington though.

If you require any assistance with these or ay other info drop me a line