Uncertified engines ??

Guest Cloudsuck

No it's incorrect. The engine must be APPROVED not CERTIFIED. A Rotax 912ULS is APPROVED but not CERTIFIED.

Other things required (Class C) is a TSO'd altimiter, a transponder, a current AD/INS/8 (on the altimiter) and RAD 47 (on the transponder).

Oh.. and for the moment, a PPL in hand as well.

Engines and Controled Airspace.

Pretty sure it`s a fact,It`s what I`ve always understood,and the aircraft must be built, to at least,101.55 standard.

A PPL is rquired,must have radio,and if,in a radar zone around an airport,a transponder,also.Best place to look, is in the CAR`s and CAO`s.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Where did you get the information on the engine,It`s important it`s correct.

I believe its in CAO 95.55 / 95.32 etc

Cheers

John

Guest Cloudsuck

A Rotax 912S is Certified and can be flown through airspace.

A Rotax 912ULS is Approved and not Certified but can still be flown through airspace.

A victor lawn mower engine is neither approved or certified and can not.

CAO 95.55

5.2 An aeroplane may be flown inside Class A, B, C and D airspace only if all of

the following conditions are complied with:

(a) the aeroplane is certificated to the design standards specified in section

101.55 or meets the criteria specified in paragraph 21.024 (1) (a) or

21.026 (1) (a), or regulation 21.186, of CASR 1998;

(b) the aeroplane is fitted with an engine of a kind to which paragraph 6.1 of

section 101.55 of the Civil Aviation Orders applies, or that CASA has

approved as being suitable for use in an aircraft to which this section

applies, and is not subject to any conditions that would prevent the flight;

CAO 101.55

6.1 Engine Requirements. One of the following conditions must be satisfied in relation to the engine installed in the aeroplane:

© the engine is of a type that has been approved by CASA as being appropriate for use in aeroplanes to which this section applies.

Note: An aeroplane to which this section applies that has an engine of a kind to which subparagraph 6.1 © applies may, because of the characteristics of that engine, have conditions included in its certificate of airworthiness.

I thought that the 912S was the 100hp version of the 912 and thus approved while the 192A was the certified version of the UL I'm open to correction.

Is the certified version of the 100hp model 912SA?

Davidh.

Careful what you write here, we don't want someone out doing something that they shouldn't be or making financial decisions on incorrect information.

From WIKI

912A# - Certified to JAA 22, 80 hp

912F# - Certified to FAR 33, 80 hp (60 kW)

912S# - Certified to FAR 33, 100 hp (75 kW)

912UL# - Uncertified, 80 hp (60 kW)

912ULS# - Uncertified, 100 hp (75 kW)

912ULSFR# - Uncertified French Authority specification. 100 hp (75 kW)

ALL of these engines are permitted to enter controlled airspace because they are of an approved type, including all Jabiru engines. Remember APPROVED, not CERTIFIED, it clearly says this above in the 95.55 exert.

Quite a few years ago, there was a guy,can`t remember his name,who put out a "Aviation Regulations Index".

To find information on anything contained in the CAO`s and CAR`s,you would simply look in the "Regulations Index" which would tell you where to find that information.

I thought it was a great tool,however someone has to do the work required and to my knowledge the Index is no longer around.

Does anyone know if there is a Regulations Index out there and yes we do need to make sure that any information given on regulations is in fact correct or clearly state that it is what we think and not necessarily correct.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif