NSW gov to mandate ethanol up to 10%

newairly

Talking to Subaru today, Dept of ??? commissioned a report into premature engine failures, independant company concluded use of ethanol mitures significantly contributed to the failures

Ties to deposits on pistons and rings

Subaru dealers should all have the report

JR

I have just received the following as a result of representations through my local NSW MP.

Basically in NSW Ethanol will be in regular unleaded only.

Phil

=============================================================

Dear Mr Irvine

Your representation to Mr Richard Torbay of 13/12/08 has been passed to me to prepare a response.

You will receive a formal response through Mr Torbay in due course, however I would like give you an early reassurance that the 10% ethanol mandate will only apply to regular grade unleaded petrol.

Ethanol-free premium unleaded petrol will continue to be available for ultralight aircraft and other engines that may not be suitable for E10.

Regards

Greg McDowall

Greg McDowall

Director, Biofuels

Office of the Director General

Department of Lands

Phone: (02) 9236 7655 Mobile 0413 650 851 Fax: (02) 8236 7081

Level 3, 1 Prince Albert Rd, Sydney (GPO Box 15, Sydney NSW 2001)

Email: [email protected]

Web: www.biofuels.nsw.gov.au

one of the problems on running ethanol in a engine that previously ran normal fuel is that the ethanol will strip the dyes and crust( that white yeasty stuff) from the tank and lines. this will then cause blockages. most if not all modern engines will run ok on any blend ratios of ethanol. it is your fuel system that will cause you problems.

i posted a link to www.ultraflightradio.com on a episode were this was explained. i will find the link on my home pc tonite and post it again. interesting to listen to

ozzie

Increase octane.

Yes it will so detonation is not a problem, directly.

You require MORE ethanol for the same amount of air. The mixture has to be enrichened. This means different jets /needles. This adjustment could be accomplished with the oxygen (stokiometric) sensor in your car automatically (most likely). NOT so with your plane.

Those of you who have run METHANOL (Methyl alcohol) rather than ETHANOL (ethyl alcohol) in motors will have noticed certain differences to operating with petrol.

You flow lots more fuel so the entire fuel system has to be capable. With the 10% ? Who knows what is really added?,not so marked but still the principle applies (More flow needed). You DO get corrosion with magnesium and to a lesser extent with aluminium and zinc alloys. You seem to get hardening of plastic fuel lines. Don't like using them anyhow.What happens with plastic floats? The water absorbtion may be a benefit as it will get rid of some/all of the water that might get into your system from condensation etc.

There will probably be a reduction in range for volume of at LEAST 3%. I have no idea how it will affect the storage life or what will happen with pre-mix two-stroke fuel.

AS has been stated, IF it is not used in the higher octane fuels that is fine, but there has been plenty of "doctored" fuel on the market before. We are dealing with a substance which is taxed highly (excise) so if these products can be obtained on the "black" they will end up in fuels. Didn't we have naptha and toluene added to fuels illegally in the past to get higher profit margins? Avgas is the only fuel that meets a specified standard, so if you are using the other types, you will have to be even more vigilant than before. Nev..

Not a problem.

I am not pointing any fingers. You cannot see necessarily that a thread will overlap another. I think it would be easier to deal with this quite important subject , if the 2 were combined. We are a long way from seeing the end of this issue. Nev

I'm not a motorcycle rider but I believe ethanol in fuel will have connotations in the 2 wheel fraternity as well.Pud

To Right, Suzuki Australia will void all warranties if ethanol fuel is used. That said Motorbikes should always run on premium so I hope they leave it alone like the said.:hittinghead:

E10

Hi All,

The crash of this volksplane in England was attributed to E10 fuel reacting with the fiberglass tank and passing chunks into the filter, blocking it and subsequent engine failure as by-products of the chemical reaction reached the engine cylinders.

Bob.

http://www.ultraflightradio.com/impodcast/2008/04/22/ufr080422d.mp3

Ronnie Smith, South Mississippi Light Aircraft

While Ronnie Smith was at Sun 'n Fun, the biggest topic of discussion was ethanol and Rotax engines. There are new guidelines from Rotax and Ronnie tells us about them. South Mississippi Light Aircraft (4/22/08)

there was a comparrison of the available fuels on one of the tabloid "tonite shows" last week. i think it was seven. they ran a tank of each thru the same vehicle and it turned out that the ethanol E10 was the worst value for money as you used more of it compared to the higher octane ethanol free fuels.

Maybe the only way to work this out is to become a test pilot. any volunteers?

Excellent news, hopefully E25 will be just around the corner. In the meantime, the aviation communities response to peak oil continues to be a well thought out, considered and very effective policy of sticking its head in the sand.

If you type in "ethanol" into the ultraflight radio search box you will find 28 episodes.

gotta be some sort of usefull info there.

two things that can fix this fuel problem once and for all, Electric and Turbo Props.

Guest Maj Millard

The only time I have ever had a Rotax 912 cough on me, was when I had no choice but to put some E10 in the tank. My 86 Nissan ute simply just won't run on the stuff, but fine without it, They've yet to convince me, like GST they will tell us one more time, that it will solve all our problems. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I just came across this web site with a lot of articles about Ethanol blends

Gasoline Expiration - Ethanol Blend Fuels Have a Short Shelf Life and related pages.

One thing I was not aware of is the very limited storage life of E10. They claim 90-100 days under ideal conditions. Non Ethanol blend fuel can be stable for up to several years.

Phil