Cowboy Up, and inland

Bigglesworth

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Results.

SP. I don't have a great sense of humour in the situation where safety and getting killed are concerned, and I will continue in this way (when necessary). I will always accept responsibility for my posts. (The least you should expect of any contributor.) Nev..

If you squeak through with 700’ between cloud and terrain, you’re not flying legally, you’re not in VFR.

Unless they've changed it since I learned the rules, Under 1000ft AGL or 3000ft AMSL the requirement is 500 feet AGL (1000 or gliding distance over a town) and clear of cloud.

So I was legal.....

Also, there would have been no probs going over the clouds, they were full of holes.

But thanks for the route, turboplanner, I might try it......

Well at least some people enjoyed reading it....

Next trip gets called fiction....... proof that truth is stranger than fiction? ;)

PS listening to music while flying: I'm a mechnic, I'd pick something wrong long before most, music or no. I have proven this on a few occasions. Not so much on planes, but even then.........

PS I had checked all the online forecasts I could get the night before. I will have to check the validity times of Arfors, but I am under the impression that you can't get them the night before? Anyone know?

As for nav with nothing except a map, I'd do it anyday. Not bragging. I've done it. When I did the nav test I was in totally unfamiliar area, and after a few diversions on instruments, the instructor said "right, now you don't know exactly where we are, since we went off the plan, find this town" Which I did no problems. And it wasn't on the coast or anything easy like that.

Hey I'm not flaming anyone.....

If Ian wants to move it to the laughter section, it would fit nicely. Especially now:laugh:

SP. I don't have a great sense of humour in the situation where safety and getting killed are concerned, and I will continue in this way (when necessary).

Bigglesworth posted 2 minutes after you so he's still around. Who are you talking about dying?

It's looking better and better Bigglesworth.

OK guys, who's right and who's wrong about cloud clearance.

In my VFG Class G airspace requires a "minimum separation from cloud of 1000 feet vertically and 1500 metres horizontally; and

a flight visibility of at least 8 km (if you are at an altitude above 10,000 feet) and more than 5000 metres (if you are below 10,000 feet)."

Guest Ken deVos
It's looking better and better Bigglesworth.OK guys, who's right and who's wrong about cloud clearance.

In my VFG Class G airspace requires a "minimum separation from cloud of 1000 feet vertically and 1500 metres horizontally; and

a flight visibility of at least 8 km (if you are at an altitude above 10,000 feet) and more than 5000 metres (if you are below 10,000 feet)."

TP,

pp222 of the VFR Flight Guide states "clear of cloud and 5000m visibility at or below 3000ft amsl OR 1000ft agl, whichever is the higher". Sounds doublespeak but the accompanying pic says it all.

BW, you're off the hook with this conflicting reference material apparently available from CASA.

What year is the VFG you are referring to Ken - that looks to me like the GA definition of minimum 500' AGL flight and 500' from cloud = min 1000' cloud base AGL>

What I quoted from is page 134 and 135 from the 2008 VFG

Guest Ken deVos

TP, the info is from the Visual Flight Rules Guide [Ver 2, July 2007, CASA] as recently supplied on CD by RA-Aus. The pic is also on the RA-Aus site here

Airspace

BTW, is your 2008 reference also a CASA document?

Adam, forget I mentioned the 500' figure, it's from years ago and there was no horizontal visibility requirement. Arguably 5 km horizontal visibility is going to give you more chance of turning around than the old reg. At the moment it's looking as if Ken's right, but I'm just waiting for ATC to confirm their information.

What a good post. It has got everyone thinking and that is a good thing. As far as the original post goes it is a bit like Pauline Hansons maiden speech. A lot more is read into it than it actually contains. Maybe Biggles should become a politician.

Well I think this thread has been very informative:thumb_up:... and if it wasn't for Mr. Bigglesworth's story it wouldn't have happened... so good on-you to all, even if was getting a bit high in post temperature:loopy:i_dunno:blush::big_grin:

Ps. Have you all noticed BW signature?? "Fly first, Ask question later...!!" 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif No offense intended BW :big_grin:

PHeww...I've been away for a while and logged on and this was the first thread I read thru....thought I logged onto pprune...041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Not enough personal attacks, vitreol, ganging up, pig headedness, Dick Smith bashing and hero-worship of captains for prune, it still is a bit harsh for Rec.