Cowboy Up, and inland

Bigglesworth

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....thought I logged onto pprune...041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

G'day ddangler

If you think this is like pprune yyou sshould llook hharder.

Go up to the Nnever Ending Sstory and you will see that we are all great mmmmates here.

Ggeoff

What a great post. Ive only just got around to reading it all.

It certainly stirred to pot a bit, not that there's anything wrong with that.

The reaction proves that most recreational fliers are very concerned with safely issues, and we would'nt want it any other way.

If anything appears to the contrary, some of the very experienced pilots are always kind enough to pass on good advise learned over decades. Their vast knowledge is the main reason they are still around.

Last time I looked in the mirror, I found that I have two ears and one mouth. Therefore, I figure it is wise to do twice as much listening, as talking;)

Good luck and stay safe, and remember "if in doubt, hold back".

Regards

Planey

Bigglesworth, remember the PPPPPP bit and you should never come to grief. As for your flight, good read! I do hope you learnt from your experience and plan accordingly next time. WX, routing, maps, a plan AND the most important of all to ensure your girl is there at the end of the trip:laugh::thumb_up: not to mention that some one knows where you are going and when you expect to get there.

You have actually drawn a very serious issue regarding the equipage of RAA aircraft that have any capability of cross country for any serious distance and that is the fitment of ANY compass as mandatory. You know the bit from your PPL...minimum instruments? ASI, Altimeter, Compass and Clock? Should be the minimum for all powered aircraft.

Going by your photo, I think you have planned Shep to Heyfield area. You are a long way east of Baw Baw not west of it. Also you are getting close to the ESL airspace restrictions so one hopes you took that into your consideration as well. Going around that way you would have struck more tiger country going back up through the East Gippsland state forest area which is far more vast than what you flew over around Baw Baw.

Good story though:thumb_up: Interesting trip as well:thumb_up:

If you have access to Google Earth you can use the flight sim function to fly over your intended route. That will show up pretty quickly how much tiger country is under your wings. If you have a copy of MicroSoft FlightSim you can also fly the route and check out what landmarks will be visible for your trip. The terrain mesh is pretty good. As for just blasting off? Just remember what happened to a certain millionaire pilot out for a short jaunt in a Decathelon few years ago.

EDIT- just to add, you would have also flown very close to the other "Frogs Hollow" near Mt Skene. Which would have put you close to farms down through Licola and out to Heyfield. This is LJR country if ESL is active so do take care to ensure that particular R zone doesn't appear in the NOTAMS

• 4 months later...
Guest Biggles Jr

well you have had enough chances to practice on picking up something thats gone wrong...music or not 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

just jokin.....will probably pop out to frogs hollow on Sunday to see everyone...see ya there maybe :thumb_up:

Ryan