The Aerodrome Local Ownership Plan (ALOP)

Thruster87

The Aerodrome Local Ownership Plan (ALOP)

The ALOP was established in 1958 by the Commonwealth to provide technical advice and

financial assistance to 234 regional aerodromes. Financial assistance was given in the form of 50

per cent funding of the cost of approved maintenance works.

Between 1992 and 1993, 230 of the original 234 ALOP aerodromes were transferred, largely to

local councils, along with $73.8 million of grants to provide councils with financial support for the

future maintenance of their aerodromes. With the transfer of ownership, local governments gained

the ability and responsibility to make decisions regarding maintenance and capital expenditure. 23

Typically, the ALOP Transfer Deed between the Commonwealth and the local council contained,

inter alia, the following: • The local council agreed to operate the aerodrome and to keep it open for public use.

• The local council accepted full financial responsibility for the aerodrome, and agreed to

maintain the aerodrome to a certain standard.

• The local council would not be permitted to sell, lease or otherwise dispose of the aerodrome

without the written consent of the Secretary of the Department of Transport and

Communications (now the Department of Transport and Regional Services).

In addition to the transfer of these assets, upon execution of ALOP Transfer Deeds, the

Commonwealth transferred to councils and local governments an amount for specified works and

future aerodrome maintenance. The grants were intended to assist in meeting expected net

operating losses during adjustment to local ownership and long-term business management, and

were generally equivalent to the expected net losses over the following 10 years.

The ALOP Transfer Deeds clarified that these payments would be the full extent of the Australian

Government’s commitment. As a result, the Australian Government no longer has a direct role in

the operation, maintenance or development of local aerodromes.

In January 2004, to maximise the commercial opportunities for airports, the Australian

Government waived its rights of enforcing the relevant transfer deed clause that required

aerodrome owners to seek consent from the Secretary of the Department of Transport and

Regional Services for alternative use of their aerodrome, except where the alternative use would

result in the closure of the aerodrome or change its use to the extent that it no longer operates as an

aerodrome.

Other Airports

The Australian Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association lists a total of almost 2,000 airfields for the

information of its members. These sites vary in size from airports supporting large jet aircraft

operations, such as the former FAC airports, to small grass or dirt airstrips used by small aircraft.

Regulatory and planning requirements for these strips vary according to whether the strip is

publicly or privately owned and according to local and state planning requirements. T87

I think you will find that those grants have been taken and are no longer available.

Gladstone is owned by the council controlled board and has to upgrade to allow heavier Qantas planes in, or even keep up the status quo, as the foundation is slop.

There is a big hump in the middle of the strip, which is to be removed and the ends are to be extended. Cost multi millions, but at least we have an aviation aware council. No doubt users will have to pay and at the moment there are no fees for light aircraft landings. Fees for me would be a pain as I only fly in there for fuel which is a plus for the board, not a negative.

As usual it is all a case of Government wanting to reduce it's costs, but still appear to be looking after the voter.

• 14 years later...
On 20/12/2008 at 10:14 AM, Thruster87 said:

In January 2004, to maximise the commercial opportunities for airports, the Australian

Government waived its rights of enforcing the relevant transfer deed clause that required

aerodrome owners to seek consent from the Secretary of the Department of Transport and

Regional Services for alternative use of their aerodrome, except where the alternative use would

result in the closure of the aerodrome or change its use to the extent that it no longer operates as an

aerodrome.

And so it came to pass, Developers got onto Councils and closed aerodromes or changed the land use to the extent that they no longer operate as aerodromes.  But my God! How the money rolls in. Rolls in. My God, how the money rolls in!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, planedriver said:

WOW! that was a blast from the past.

But the younger generation don't know those traditional songs. I suppose in these days of young people shacking up together, If I was the marrying kind is old hat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1