Rebitten

slartibartfast

Hi all.

Great forum. I have been reading many topics in the last few days and thought I'd better introduce myself.

I used to fly gliders out of Polo Flat a long time ago (nearly 30 years I think) before the Canberra Glider Club got their own airfield at Bunyan. I then moved into Hang Gliders, but haven't flown anything much for quite a while.

Until last week when I finally got the chance to visit my uncle and fly his Airborne Edge-X out of Mangalore (been meaning to for about a decade).

I found it a fantastic machine.

I now have the bug severely rekindled and am looking at getting airborne again - this time with some power for the extra freedom it provides.

I have been looking for someone nearish to Canberra who provides trike training. Can't find anything short of Tumut. I have also been looking at some of the great ultralights you guys fly and can't think of a good reason not to give them a go.

Can anyone provide some info on training options in or around Canberra? I see PaulN flies out of PFT in Cooma. Is there training there? (I have found a phone number to call, but any info here would be appreciated). That would do nicely - take me back to the days of racing my bike down the Monaro to spend the day gliding.

Bit long winded - sorry. 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Hope to join you in the air soon.

Ross

Hi Ross,

Nearest ultralight training to us in Canberra is at either Goulburn or Polo Flat. There are a few of us who operate ultralights out of Canberra airport, no training though due to controlled airspace.

Details from the RAAus website:

Goulburn Flight Training: 02 4821 7798 [email protected]

Snowy Aviation Acadamy: 02 6452 6636 [email protected]

Cheers,

Matt.

G'day Ross,

Good to hear from a "neighbour" ... well ACT is almost that close to Cooma.

I used to fly out of Polo Flat buthave beenhangared at YCOMsince Feb last year. I had a great time getting my Pilot Cert with Mike Apps.

You might like to give thought to joining up with Snowy River Aviators (SRA) who also train out of Cooma-Snowy and Adaminaby. Adrian Menhennitt is our instructor using his Jab which is also parked at YCOM. SRA is currently in the process of buying Adaminaby airfield from the local council, with plans for several hangars and club house. Check out our web site at http://www.sra.asn.au/.

If you would like contact details for Adrian let me know and I'll PM them to you.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks for the replies guys.

Cheers for the numbers Matt. I presume you have to park on the apron at Canberra - no hangar? What's the cost for that? It would be great to have my aircraft that handy.

I had to look up YCOM Paul - didn't know it was there.

I had found the SRA website a few days ago and thought about it. I was a little daunted at the thought of sharing all those start-up costs for a new airfield and buildings. Seemed easier and cheaper to benefit from the fruits of those who have gone before.

On the other hand, the sense of comraderie and achievement from being there at the roots would be worth something.

Thanks for the PM offer, but I might just use the published phone details when I am ready.

I have been informed that I won't have much time to myself for the next few months:;)4:. We are getting ready to sell our house and find another.

I will at least organise a TIF soon.

Thanks again.

Ross

Yep, we're parked on the apron at Canberra - hangar space is impossible to get. We keep the Sportstar on the tarmac and it costs about $1700/year which includes all fees and charges - I think it's actually pretty reasonable....and actually cheaper than an annual car parking permit at the airport!We live in Barton so it's only about a 5 minute drive out to the airport and as you said - very handy to have it that close. We did consider moving it up to Goulburn to get into a hangar but the hour-and-a-bit drive put us off a bit.

We're also somewhat inactive members on the Snowy River Aviators and should really get our act together and get a bit more involved.

Cheers,

Matt.

Cool Matt. Thanks for the info.

I flew to YCOM (via YPFT - ah memories) tonight in FS9 after loading VOZ and Mr Fogarty's excellent Canberra scenery. Great flight.

Paul, I guess you never get Sou'Westers or Nor'Easters there?006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Thanks for the cost info too Matt. About to start a job where I can afford the flying but not the time. Ain't that always the way?

I'm getting ahead of myself though - hence reinstallation of FS2004.

Time to get some training the cheap way in preparation.

As Douglas Adams said,

"flying is simply the art of throwing yourself at the ground and missing"

Ross

Ross...Sou'Westers or Nor'Easters, what are they ;)? That seems to be all we get. One wonders why the rwy wasn't sited to suit, maybe the prevailing winds were different then :confused:.

Matt ... that $1700 PA (incl all fees) sounds remarkable for YSCB. I'm paying $1200 PA for a three sided shed (covered but open to the elements) with dirt floor and no services,but still just15 mins from home. At YPFT owners there pay $2000 PA (dbl for commercial operators) for parkingin an open hangar. You know you'll always be welcome at the SRA. Can't wait till we have a home base, albeit a bit out-of-town at 30km from Cooma.

All ... I wonder what other's costs and conditions are?

Paul

Snowy River Aviators

A few SRA members meet every Monday evening around 6pm at The Weston Club.

Contact details of the "Canberra Wing" on the website http://www.sra.asn.au

We fly from Adaminaby, but there is nothing there yet. Purchase of the field is subject to the accepance of our Design Application which is before council now. We have eight hangars ready to go.

My 'plane is hangared at Goulburn, and I have to fly from there.

Jack. :)

• 3 weeks later...