Savannah for short fields - Cessna T210 for speed

coolair

I am a new Member,

I am a retired electrical engineer living in Golden, Colorado. I have many flying hours but never flown an owner built airplane. I expect delivery of a Savannah VG-wide kit in January 2009. I plan to optimized it for short-rough fields. Cruise speed will not be important. I have a Cessna T210 for speedy trips. I would like to hear suggestions to improve short field performance. I already know about using long propellers. The kit comes with a Rotax 912 100 hp engine and a three bladed Kiev prop. I do not plan to use a different engine. I do not plan to get a Rotax 914.

Happy New Year, Tony

Welcome Tony,

A fellow by the call sign of Redair on this forum is building a Savannah he may have some ideas, he is in South Australia. What does the 210 cruise at and I figure T means it is Turbo? is it pressurized as well ? Hope to get over to Oshkosh this year! See what happens, don't even have a passport yet !

Cheers Guy

Guy

Thanks for the response. Yes, the "T" means turbo. I live at 2225 m elevation (7300 ft), thus the turbo. The T210 cruises around 175 kts. Mine is not pressurized. I will be happy with my Savannah if it cruises at only 50 kts as long as it can take off in 100 m (300 feet) at 2500 m (8000 feet) on a rough field. Good luck on your trip to Oshkosh.

Tony

Altitude performance.

I'd be a bit worried with the T/O performance of the Savannah at that height as well. get one up to that height and see what your rate-of -climb is, at the weights that you intend to operate to.. You might need the turbo Rotax, and a bit of extra wingspan... Nev..