Changing Instructor

Guest mike_perth

Guest mike_perth

Hello All

Firstly Great forum I am a long time reader but first time poster.

I am currently undertaking my GA PPL and am having a little trouble with my instructor - nothing in regard to his teaching but with his time management skills - he is a sub contract instructor for the school but has family commitments, other work cimmitments etc etc that forever seem to keep me out of the air!

I would just like some thoughts on changing instructor I am currently 1 or 2 lessons short of first solo.

Thanks for your input

Michael

Guest Brett Campany

Hey Mike, I reckon you'll make a good bet by chatting to the other schools in the area, tell them your circumstance and go for a new instructor. It's YOUR money and YOUR flying experience so best make it suitable to you!

You might have to spend an hour, hopefully less, in showing a new instructor where you're at but that could be worth everything.

I'm sure the other instructors on here will agree somewhat.

Brett

Personally I wouldn't have expected changing instructor to adversely affect your training but, to be fair to all parties, I'd strongly suggest having a chat with the school's CFI first of all.

Cheers

John

Yea mate. Talk to the chief. If things don't improve then vote with your feet.

Recency is a huge factor in the learning curve, and if your not getting constant concolidation and reinforcment then it may delay you further.

You need consistancy in these early days..

cheers

Guest pelorus32

G'day Michael,

I'm not making any comment about your instructor.

Changing instructors both is and isn't a big deal. If you are going off for first solo unless your current instructor is qualified to send you solo you'll have to fly with someone else or the CFI first. So you will get to fly maybe with someone else at least once.

To resolve the problem I think your first port of call should be the CFI: you are a customer, if you are happy with the school but not the instructor's time management then simply ask for a change. Explain clearly why and don't accept "we'll improve". If they don't get feedback they can't change. In my view some variety in instruction is actually important during your training and now may be the moment to get it.

If you aren't happy with the school then quietly go and talk to another school and go for a trial flight with whoever they propose. Make yourself clear with respect to your expectations and make sure that the new option is better - not just out of the frying pan and into the fire. You don't want multiple changes. Once you have an alternative that you are happy with get them to ask for your training records.

IMHO time management is the single biggest bug bear with instructors - particularly young instructors. But many seem to become infected for life. I think you can do much to manage the situation by making your expectations crystal clear and by making sure your own time management is spotless.

More than once in the past I have dug a young instructor out of bed for a morning lesson for my daughter!

Let us know how you go.

Regards

Mike

More than once in the past I have dug a young instructor out of bed for a morning lesson for my daughter!

To be fair its not unheard of for students to also have time management difficulties 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers

John

Guest mike_perth

Thanks for the advice guys - I already have had a chat with the CFI and the reaction I got there was pretty good but probably not perfect

After reading these responses Ive done a bit more thinking and maybe part of the problem is a small concern I have with the age and maintenance of their aircraft also - nothing major but after a recent flight I commented to the CFI that the particular aircraft I had just flown needed Oil (never noted in any maint release but at the exact minimum maybe just below) and the turn coordinator was not functioning to which the reply I got was we are selling that plane so not too concerned - I know the thing still flys without a turn co-ord but if they are happy to not worry about that then what else are they skipping?

So thankyou I will certainly take a flight with another school and see how I go

The difficult thing for me is I have already saved all the money for my training and everytime I get told - Ill call you tomorrow to arrange a time it never happens I think come on guys I want to spend money with you and you dont want it!

Cheers

Mike

Guest Brett Campany

Hey Mike, if you like I'm heading down to Bunbury for some more lessons on Monday morning. Drop me a PM if you want to come and meet the guys down there.

... nothing major but after a recent flight I commented to the CFI that the particular aircraft I had just flown needed Oil (never noted in any maint release but at the exact minimum maybe just below) ..

The time to mention that is before the flight, to your instructor, and expect to be taught how to add oil yourself. At the minimum per the flight manual?

... and the turn coordinator was not functioning to which the reply I got was we are selling that plane so not too concerned ..

The CFI should know that the turn coordinator is required in aerial work category - if U/S then it cannot be used for training.

So thankyou I will certainly take a flight with another school and see how I go

Good option, I suggest just talking to the CFI of another school and meeting several instructors before spending any money.

Never forget that it is your hard earned money, and your safety. That applies to every aspect of your flying.

If the aircraft does not have sufficient oil, ask to be shown how to put it in (yes, as DJP says, that will become your responsibility) and never be afraid to speak up if you are not happy with any aspect of the aircraft's airworthiness.

That holds true for everything else too by the way, such as if ATC ever ask you to do something and you will have trouble complying, don't blindly follow "orders", you are the one flying the aeroplane so say you can't comply. They'll come up with an alternative.

They sure will fly without turn and slip but when you are learning to fly you'll need to learn how to use it, and yes, it is needed for aerial work (e.g. flying training).

Old aeroplanes are not a problem as long as the necessary equipment is functioning correctly.

As for your instructor, it is your money. If you are not happy ask the CFI for someone else, or ask to fly with the CFI. Or another school if you prefer. Plenty of people have more than one instructor before going solo. The syllabus is the same so they'll know what you have been doing. It might even give you a different perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

When I started GA years ago in bankstown I was training at a school that had an aircraft that would not start on the ground unless they popped the hood and bashed on the starter solenoid. This on your first lesson was quite unnerving.

I have had a time like you with my RA instruction, trying to get time in and having to actively fight to get in the air. It sucks!

I have had several different instructors. It is good in a way cause you get to learn more.

It can imped somewhat on you training, as everyone wants a piece of you so usually it takes a couple of hours before they are happy with you etc etc. Might just cost you a little more to change, but if AC maintenance is an issue then I think it's a no brainer.

Mike