ERSA Online

tangocharlie123

Can anybody help

Can you purchase Ersa online or do you just download it from Airservices Aus as I have just purchased one of those netbooks 8.9 inch screen weighs just under a kilo (beats the 3.5kg for my other laptop..) looking at keeping NAIPS on and other flight planning software. May look at a moving map and if any body knows if you can get a usb engine monitoring box.

Thanks

Peter

The Airservices website has stuff like ERSA viewable online here.

Their copyright notice says you cannot use it or store it any other way without their consent - so contact them before storing it on your netbook.

Also, I believe you are required to carry a current ERSA hard copy, so paying for the soft copy too may be a little overkill.

They don't seem to sell it as a PDF or other downloadable format, so you would have to save the all the links with some software for off-line use.

Unless your notebook will have constant web access in which case disregard above because that would fit their terms of usage (and be pretty cool).

Guest Brett Campany

I've printed out the pages I need locally as required. I'm sure you can do the same for any airfields that you need. Either that or store them on a USB stick.

• 3 months later...

I'd be very interested to know how you have got on with your in-flight broadband notebook navigation system. Ther has to be a better way than wading through ERSA and paper charts in a confined ultralight cockpit while trying to aviate at the same time

• Winner 1

Guest Andys@coffs

So when I flew from Tully to Adelaide, almost in a direct line I had Telstra broadband coverage for well over 80% of the way. I was cruising at 8500' so altitude will have helped. Point is, that most of the country I flew over fulfilled all the requirements for what I consider relatively remote countryside. Online ersa and weather was perfectly successful ad so for the east coast, or more populous parts of Australia I dont see this being a problem... On the otherhand my optus 3G mobile (was 2100mhz only, not the new 900 solution which would be closer to telstra solution...assuming they get the same level of basestation ceoverage) worked for about 45 minutes after I left and started again about 30mins till adelaide... Telstra may charge like wounded buffalo's but in this cae they had the only working solution.

Andy

Personally, While I will use a computer for just about anything and everything, for any of my navigation data I will have a hard copy with me. I might use a computer to plan and download relevant info but I recon it has to be printed. A bit of paper is a lot easier and reliable to deal with while flying a plane!

I get the loose leaf ERSA so I unclip the pages I am likely to use and keep the rest of the book behind the seat.

You are not allowed to copy the ERSA in any way, according to their website, so why do they post it?

We all know that what they really mean is we have to buy ERSA with all its updates to be legal. With all the required paperwork I doubt that I could find room for it all in the plane and even if I did fit it in I would only be able to access it on the ground.

My belief is that it is all a money making gambit. Make it a requirement to carry the docs, and then keep them up to date. It only costs about $200 p.a. Chicken feed to a beaurocrat.

Australian electronic navdata is available from Jepp, EAG and a number of other ARINC 424 data providers, if your willing to pay for it.

I too would like to see AsA provide data in an electronic format, ie txt or db file, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

I did ask in another thread how do Champagne get theirs, but got no reply....

Here's a sample of the data that I get. Anything AsA provide Jepp or any of the others code it.

Cheers

Os

ARINC 424 sample.txt

ARINC 424 sample.txt

ARINC 424 sample.txt

• 7 years later...
The Airservices website has stuff like ERSA viewable online here.Their copyright notice says you cannot use it or store it any other way without their consent - so contact them before storing it on your netbook.

Also, I believe you are required to carry a current ERSA hard copy, so paying for the soft copy too may be a little overkill.

They don't seem to sell it as a PDF or other downloadable format, so you would have to save the all the links with some software for off-line use.

Unless your notebook will have constant web access in which case disregard above because that would fit their terms of usage (and be pretty cool).

This is a very old thread but I couldn't resist pointing out the incongruity of the requirement to use the ERSA info on-line only. The documents are in .pdf format, so to use them you need to click the link, which automatically initiates download of the .pdf before the reader can open it for reading. So it's actually not possible to use 'on-line only', and everyone has a copy on their local computer (e.g. in the Downloads directory).

Ozrunways, avplan (and a few of the other efbs like AirNavVFR) will download the ersa into the app. So you can always access it and have an up to date version on your iPad.

If it can be downloaded into the app I can't see how it could be illegal. They would not allow the app writer to do it if they wanted it to be illegal.

But as you said. It's a very old thread so I suspect it's irrelevant now.

This is a very old thread but I couldn't resist pointing out the incongruity of the requirement to use the ERSA info on-line only.

I don't think it's a requirement to use it "online only". It just talks about a bunch of copyright issues which are pretty standard, and it talks about it being "uncontrolled" if used in a format which can be corrupted, damaged or distorted.

• Haha 1